• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Firing 'out of battery'

This is a discussion on Firing 'out of battery' within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; Hello all...new to the forum! I've been reading a number of posts before joining and came across this term that I never heard before. Now ...

Old 01-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 42677
Firing 'out of battery'

Hello all...new to the forum! I've been reading a number of posts before joining and came across this term that I never heard before. Now that I'm familiar with what it means, is this a condition that can be prevented on the my part? Is this caused by a failure of a certain component of the firearm? Thanks.
G.Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 27854
Fireing out of battery is caused by the barrel not going fully closed which locks the barrel with the slide chamber containing the fireing pin. There are 2 things which can cause an out of battery condition. 1) you can control and prevent is holding on to the slide too long while chambering a round. Don't hold it, let the spring do it's job, release it from the locked position, or the full back position. 2) For many reasons a cartridge will not fully chamber due to too long an OAL, not properly sized round or a bullet shape that does not feed up the ramp properly. The way you can control that is to change ammo types, some shapes of bullets just do not work in various guns. If you are consistantly having a problem, note the brand/type of ammo and do not buy any more of that particular load. 99 % of the times of out of battery are not the firearm's problem, it is an ammo problem.
Note, Limp wristing can cause failure to feed and out of battery.
rayikeo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
SRD
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 13092
It is rare to happen. These weapons are designed not to be able to fire if the round is not properly chambered. Most times guns blow people will say out of battery but it is rare in a handgun. But if you are ever in the situaton Do not push your muzzle into a aggressor it might push the slide out of battery when you fire.

-------------------------------------------------
Since my list was to long last time ill only put my favorite pistols

HKP7
CZ82
Browning Hi power
FN Hi power
Sig p232
Sig p220 Elite SS
NAA 22PUG
XD45
G19
G29
Norinco Ak47
FN PS90 SBR
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
XDTalk Member

Thanks for the replies. Rayikeo, you mentioned that ammo is the cause the majority of times. Are there any brands of ammo to avoid particularly for the XD45?
Old 01-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 27854
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Rick View Post
Thanks for the replies. Rayikeo, you mentioned that ammo is the cause the majority of times. Are there any brands of ammo to avoid particularly for the XD45?
The first one that comes to mind is flat nosed lead bullets, and some brands of hollow points. It is a trial and error procedure as differant guns will feed different bullets. If you use lead ,try round nose ones. For non-competitive shooters stick to plated bullets and shoot a few of them to see if they chamber. Plated bullets usually shoot well in both round nose and hollowpoints but if you are going to use them as your self defense loads shoot enough to make sure they are reliable in your gun.
rayikeo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
XDTalk Member

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 33132
The only time an xd will fire out of battery is if there is wear or damage to the disconector, the striker can not be released until the slide is fully closed.

If you can make it fire, using only a primed case, then it needs to go back to springfield for repair!

don
dglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 25494
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayikeo2 View Post
The first one that comes to mind is flat nosed lead bullets, and some brands of hollow points. It is a trial and error procedure as differant guns will feed different bullets. If you use lead ,try round nose ones. For non-competitive shooters stick to plated bullets and shoot a few of them to see if they chamber. Plated bullets usually shoot well in both round nose and hollowpoints but if you are going to use them as your self defense loads shoot enough to make sure they are reliable in your gun.
Also semi-wadcutters (SWC). They have a tendency to snag on the rim of the spent round as the next one feeds.

Occam's Razor: If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.
mongoose33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
I've never seen limpwristing cause failures to feed only failures to eject (stove pipes).

My XD will fire while not completely locked up.

Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
Do you have an aftermarket spring installed? Can you pull the barrel out? If so remove it and try pulling the spring while it' a bit lower to the slide.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

Search tags for this page

fire out of battery

fired out of battery

firing out of battery

gun firing out of battery
gun out of battery
out of battery
out of battery fire
out of battery firing
out of battery gun
pistol out of battery
round fired out of battery
springfield xd firing out of battery
springfield xd out of battery
what is firing out of battery
xd firing out of battery
xd out of battery
Click on a term to search for related topics.