• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Homemade PVC target stand

This is a discussion on Homemade PVC target stand within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; So after looking around the box O truth I found this Educational Zone #24 - Homemade Target Stand - Page 1 it is a target ...

Old 09-18-2009, 03:37 AM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39343
Homemade PVC target stand

So after looking around the box O truth I found this Educational Zone #24 - Homemade Target Stand - Page 1 it is a target stand made out of PVC pipe. I saw this and was like sweet this will work better than what I have now.

So I decided to make one and do a little write up about how I made mine and what I used.

Supplies:
(1) 10’ piece of 1 ½” schedule 40 PVC pipe
(1)10’ piece of 2” schedule 40 PVC pipe (the reason that I used 2” instead of 1 ½” is because Home Depot didn’t have any lumber that would fit inside the 1 ½” pipe. Also If you can find a 5’ piece or (2) 2’ pieces that will work as well)
(2) 1 ½” 90* elbow
(2) 1 ½” T’s
(2) 1 ½” Cap
(2) 2”-1” reducer
(1) 1”x2”x8’ piece of lumber
(1) Package of door shims
PVC cleaner
PVC primer
PVC cement

Total cost was probably around $50 or so.
Total build time about 1.5 hours for me.

So to start take the 10’ piece of PVC and cut (5) 16” lengths. The take one length and Clean, Prime, Cement (CPC) a cap on one end.

On the other end CPC one of the T’s. On the other end of the T CPC another 16” length of pipe, leave the other end open. Should look like this when done. The repeat these steps to make the other leg.

Now take some of the left over pipe and cut (2) 2” pieces. CPC these pieces in to the open hole on the T, the repeat on the other leg. I used a hand clamp to hold these in place until the cement set up.

Now take the last 16” of pipe and CPC one of the elbows. When doing the other elbow you need to make sure that the elbows are level or your stand will not sit straight and might rock back and forth. To make sure that mine were level, I CPC one end let it set up. Then got the other one ready, put it on and used my garage floor as a level.

Now take your 2” pipe and cut (2) 16” pieces. Take the reducers and CPC one on each pipe.

Now all your pieces should be cemented and ready to assemble where ever you want.

Put the 2” pieces with reducer on the 1 ½” nipple of the T and push together.

Now take your piece of lumber and cut it in half. You should have (2) 4’ pieces

Put one stick in to the opening on the 2” pipe. Stick a few door shims behind the stick to hold the stick tight and in place.

Now all you have to do is tape or staple your target on the wood and your set.

Here’s a look at all the pieces. Nice thing is it should fit easily in to your trunk or back seat and won’t take up a lot of space.

You now have a portable cheap target stand that you can feel proud of cause you made it yourself. Also if you’re a poor shot the wood holding the target can be easily replaced if needed. So if you read the box O truth you can see that mine was a little different but I had to make due with what I was able to purchase. Also I’m not sure where this should be posted, so if it needs to be move then so be it.

When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson
csutke is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-18-2009, 04:03 AM   #2
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 31141
I put tees on my uprights and then a crossbar down low to stiffen mine up a little bit.

I staple cardboard to my uprights and then staple targets to that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

"God and guns
Keep us strong.
That's what this country
Was founded on.
Well, we might as well give up and run
If we let them take our God and guns."
ryr8828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 36643
Nice. Thanks for the write-up.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." - Patrick Henry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

n.

1: an advocate of the doctrine of free will
2 a: a person who upholds the principles of individual liberty especially of thought and action
b capitalized: a member of a political party advocating libertarian principles
NunyaBinnez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:35 AM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28226
Great writeup, awesome photos. Thanks!
Mad Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 24315
Good writeup, I also made one. The only difference is for the uprights. Instead of 2" PVC I used 1 1/2" and then a 36" grade stake, available at any lumber yard, will fit without shims.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member

XDcarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 30886
I made a similar stand from another pvc post. Total cost was about $20 for 3 stands. With the 1 1/2 pvc, I screwed the pieces together instead of glue - in case a piece gets hit with a round it is easier and cheaper to replace if not cemented together. Mine stake in the ground (cheaper because less pvc). The times I have used it the stakes are sufficient to hold in moderate wind. 1 x 2 boards fit great in the pipe and is cheap to replace.

Anyway, these are great, cheap and very portable. I made several to set up at different distances for action shooting. I even saw where one person made a pully system so a second person could turn the target.
earlco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:07 PM   #7
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 29327
made 4 of these box-o-truth PVC stands about a year ago....works great

"There are no restrictions on the First Amendment when trying to restrict the Second Amendment" -- Tim Inwood, Buckeye Firearms Association.

cooks128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:34 AM   #8
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 13774
American Handgunner had an article on making these about 2 or 3 years ago. They are easy to make, don't tip over easily, and relatively cheap to make (and easy enough for most any DIY'er).

BEST part is is the ability to break them down so it can fit in the trunk of a small car for those who do not have a truck or SUV.

Very cool, thanks for the re-post. I've had mine for several years and they are still going strong
Myk9noseknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 26613
Cool. Only problem I've had with PVC is it is so light it doesn't work with any wind. That's why I made these

Accepts a 1x2 in the box steel.

"Out of every ONE HUNDRED men, TEN should not be here, EIGHTY are nothing but targets,
NINE are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they the battle make."

"Ah, but the ONE, ONE of them is a WARRIOR, and he will bring the others back."

Heraclitus 500 BC

MOΛΩN ΛABΙ
The DRis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #10
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
DRI that looks nice. I just got a bunch of angle iron, iron tubes etc... I'm going to have to plugin my arc welder and start making target stands. I made a swinger out of PVC, 2X4 and 1X4 not I'm starting on that will pop up for a few second then go back down.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

Search tags for this page
homemade portable target stands
homemade pvc target stand
homemade pvc target stands
homemade target stand pvc
homemade target stands
how to build a target stand out of pvc
how to make stand up pistol target out of pvc
pvc pipe target stand
pvc pipe target stands
pvc shooting stand

pvc target stand

pvctargetstand
steel target stands
target holder
target stand made of pvc
target stands
Click on a term to search for related topics.