• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Making XD-9 grip larger in girth?

This is a discussion on Making XD-9 grip larger in girth? within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; I just put a Hogue slip on grip on my XDm, and it made a world of difference. I havent been able to take it ...

Old 09-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #21
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 38118
I just put a Hogue slip on grip on my XDm, and it made a world of difference. I havent been able to take it to the range yet, but it really feels a lot better. The Hogue adds thickness on the sides, where I really wanted it.
gregj is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-21-2009, 11:36 PM   #22
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 39794
You can also try the Pachmayr Tactical Grip, apparently they got a new model for full size springfield XD/XD(M). Although I never handled one yet, I have 3 on order and heard nothing but good things about the ones for other gun models.

Pachmayr&reg Pachmayr your primary source for quality handgun grips and recoil pads
sixteenways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:32 AM   #23
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 7918
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose33 View Post
I took out the calipers and compared the measurements of the XD9 to the XD45. Seems like they're the same platform, but the XD45 does in fact have a larger grip (at least, mine does--YMMV).

Here's a pic showing the measurements (and yes, I was tres careful in doing them):

"C" is the width of the grip at that point.
Yup, I posted those numbers in a thread some time ago and as you can see ( and as I stated ) the only significant diff is just below the trigger guard.
In fact my 9mmSC grip thickness ( the "C" area in your pic ) actually measures thicker than my 9mmService and 40Service but thinner than my 45, it's about halfway between the two.

Is your 45 a Compact or Service? To get the right comparison you have to pick a spot "X" down from the rails as the grips are ( obviously ) different lengths and measuring up from the bottom gets you in two different spots on the grip.
Uzi, Sterling MK6, GSG-5.
Bersa Thunder 45, CZ75-SP01 Tactical, CZ75 Compact 40, DW CBOB 10mm,USP Custom Combat40, SA-1911,
XD-9 Service, XD-9SC Black, XD-9SC Bi-Tone, XD-40 Service Bi-tone, XD-45C Dark Earth, XD-45C Tactical Black,
Sig P228x2, Sig P220, Sig Mosquito, Steyr M9, Walther P-22, Beretta 92FS Inox
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:37 AM   #24
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 25494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
Yup, I posted those numbers in a thread some time ago and as you can see ( and as I stated ) the only significant diff is just below the trigger guard.
In fact my 9mmSC grip thickness ( the "C" area in your pic ) actually measures thicker than my 9mmService and 40Service but thinner than my 45, it's about halfway between the two.

Is your 45 a Compact or Service? To get the right comparison you have to pick a spot "X" down from the rails as the grips are ( obviously ) different lengths and measuring up from the bottom gets you in two different spots on the grip.
They're both Service models.

I measured within the serrations to ensure I was doing it in the same place on each.

It's odd, because at first glance the numbers don't look different enough to make a significant difference, but the .45 sure fits my hand better. I've also thought about using a bit of tape just on the right side and the backstrap, which would probably increase the girth just enough.

I'm also going to try that inner-tube idea.

Occam's Razor: If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.
mongoose33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:20 PM   #25
XDTalk 2K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvfire View Post
Mongoose, get a bicicle inertube I think the size is 1.75 X whatever you want. Cut to length punch holes with a paper punch for more grip.Then slide on . You can do 25 guns for 3 bucks. If grip is still to small put two on.
Harvfire
I bought one this afternoon and by darn, it works! I haven't punched holes in it but already it's clear it's added enough to the girth that the feeling is very similar to the .45.

Now all I need to do is get to the range and see how it does.

Thanks, Harvfire!

Occam's Razor: If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #26
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 30452
I applied the rubber decal grips to my XD9 and it increased the outer dimensions a bit. the rubber ones are 1/32 thick which will get you a total of .0624 additional thickness and the sand ones are 1/40 thick. May not be the increase you are looking for.

DECAL GRIP

Last edited by Jarhead1987; 09-22-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Jarhead1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:53 AM   #27
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 7918
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose33 View Post
They're both Service models.

I measured within the serrations to ensure I was doing it in the same place on each.

It's odd, because at first glance the numbers don't look different enough to make a significant difference, but the .45 sure fits my hand better. I've also thought about using a bit of tape just on the right side and the backstrap, which would probably increase the girth just enough.

I'm also going to try that inner-tube idea.
There is at least a chance the 45 has a squarer, more ( is he gonna say it? YUP ) glock-like shape. Harder to check and measure though.
Uzi, Sterling MK6, GSG-5.
Bersa Thunder 45, CZ75-SP01 Tactical, CZ75 Compact 40, DW CBOB 10mm,USP Custom Combat40, SA-1911,
XD-9 Service, XD-9SC Black, XD-9SC Bi-Tone, XD-40 Service Bi-tone, XD-45C Dark Earth, XD-45C Tactical Black,
Sig P228x2, Sig P220, Sig Mosquito, Steyr M9, Walther P-22, Beretta 92FS Inox
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #28
XDTalk 2K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
There is at least a chance the 45 has a squarer, more ( is he gonna say it? YUP ) glock-like shape. Harder to check and measure though.
I've shot a .45 Glock; did very well with it. Some people don't like the grip angle or other elements of how it feels, but I had no difficulties with it.

And maybe squareness is the issue, not simply girth.

The inner-tube thing has potential, though. I hope I can get to the range by the end of the week.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:48 PM   #29
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 32142
UniqueTek.com sells Limb Saver grip sleeves. They are a little softer than others but for me they work great. They gave me a better grip and soften it up on my .40 PPS. Easy to get on and very functional. I believe they are about 20 bucks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

Search tags for this page
bigger grip for xd
increase backstrap girth
larger xd grips
limbsaver grip for xd-9
making a glock grip larger
usp 9 grip girth

xdm vs xd9 size comparison

Click on a term to search for related topics.