• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Can Home polished barrel hurt accuracy?

This is a discussion on Can Home polished barrel hurt accuracy? within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; I polished my barrel myself with pretty good results,(haha that sounds dirty!) however It seems my accuracy got worse. It could easily be me, as ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk » Can Home polished barrel hurt accuracy?

Old 07-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 37165
Can Home polished barrel hurt accuracy?

I polished my barrel myself with pretty good results,(haha that sounds dirty!) however It seems my accuracy got worse. It could easily be me, as I've only been shooting for a month, but I'm worried the heat from the buffer wheel deformed or warped my barrel. I wore rawhide gloves, and polished it on the wheel with few breaks, so it got very hot. Plausible or psychological?

Last edited by andrew04; 07-18-2009 at 04:57 PM. Reason: sp
andrew04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
SRD
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 13092
Unless you are shaving off metal polishing will not hurt your barrel. and i dont think it can get anywhere near as hot as firing rounds. Its in your head.

-------------------------------------------------
Since my list was to long last time ill only put my favorite pistols

HKP7
CZ82
Browning Hi power
FN Hi power
Sig p232
Sig p220 Elite SS
NAA 22PUG
XD45
G19
G29
Norinco Ak47
FN PS90 SBR
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 37155
I have a question about the polishing you did. Did you just hold the barrell up to a polishing wheel on a grinder. And then work it around until all the blueing is gone? Or did you have to use some kind of compound on it?
GSXFBadBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:29 AM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 6152
I don't think the "heat" thing would be a problem... like SRD said firing rounds will heat the barrel much hotter than a buffing wheel with light compound. However, the front of the barrel needs to be treated with extra care if buffing it. The crown or surface around the muzzle opening, for instance, must retain a perfect circle for the gasses and bullet to exit without affecting the bullet's flightpath. Also, the slightly expanded area just behind the muzzle, that is, the part which the slide contacts when in battery, must not be reduced in size or made out of round by buffing. The other area which you must be careful of is the part of the barrel that sticks up through the slide at the chamber. The front edge of that rectangular area must remain square and sharp as it is part of the lockup of the pistol and should be treated very gently.

Strangely, a lot of folks who do not believe in evolutionary Darwinism seem to believe in social Darwinism... go figure!

Let's add this: Congress shall make no law which limits the type, caliber, capacity, or rate of fire of any arms the People have or want to have.
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 36912
I have a question about the polishing you did. Did you just hold the barrell up to a polishing wheel on a grinder. And then work it around until all the blueing is gone? Or did you have to use some kind of compound on it?
______I used a polish called Heavy Metal Medium Abrasive Metal Polish / green in color. Worked Great !!!! You can find it on ebay. Used a dremmel on low speed to polish. Check the sticky section on this forum for polishing barrel, they give great info.

Last edited by 19cohiba75; 07-19-2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: add quote
19cohiba75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 37165
You definately need some kind of polish or compound. If you want to order it, get the stuff mentioned above, I just had some generic Home depot compounds laying around from doing parts of my engine.
andrew04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

accuracy, barrel, heat, polish

Search tags for this page
barrel polishing
barrel polishing accuracy
cz 82 polished barrel
cz82 crown
hard metal compound polish 1911 barrell
polish barrel accuracy

polished barrel

polished barrel accuracy

polished barrel and accuracy
polishing barrel
polishing barrel accuracy
polishing hipower barrel
polishing sig barrel
what does polishing a barrel do?
will polishing hurt sig barrels

xd polished barrel

Click on a term to search for related topics.