• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Hoppes #9 Solvent safe for long term?

This is a discussion on Hoppes #9 Solvent safe for long term? within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by 1EYEJACK What I was responding to was a statement that Hoppe's #9 is not a rust protectant. It definitely is. But it ...

Old 03-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #11
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 32789
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1EYEJACK View Post
What I was responding to was a statement that Hoppe's #9 is not a rust protectant. It definitely is. But it is not a lubricant. Hoppe's No.9 removes powder residue from the outside of the gun and fouling caused by primers. It can be used as a rust protectant on the outside, and I use it for this purpose if it is a long term storage. Otherwise, I leave a thin (thin) coating of Hoppe's No. 9 in the bore. I will take a soft rag wipe the Hoppe's No.9 from the outside (just because is a little juicy) and wipe the outside with a quality silicone cloth. Living in Florida, rust can be a problem, but not with my XDs.
Yeah Flordia is NOTORIOUS for its supernatural humidity. It even says on the #9 bottle "cleans and prevents Rust". You Florida GOs im sure have come up with some pretty ingenious ways to keep your firearms rust free.

If I lived there I think id install some rust inhibitor strips inside my cases or vault and replace them as needed.

The ones who keep it in their glove box 24/7.. well ive seen what that can do and its not pretty at all.
GAMEOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
XDTalk Member

Member #: 35203
I saw on a Youtube video from an official Springfield Armorer, that Hoppe's is considered a solvent and may damage the polymer frame.

A better alternative, if this is true, would be Break Free CLP or similar.

I'm just saying what I heard, I don't know if it is true or not. I have Break Free CLP for my other firearms, so I guess I don't need to worry.

One thing I will say though - if you have Hoppe's and want to try it, spot test it firt for a few times and see if it does anything to the polymer finish or texture.
XDgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #13
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDgeek View Post
I saw on a Youtube video from an official Springfield Armorer, that Hoppe's is considered a solvent and may damage the polymer frame.

A better alternative, if this is true, would be Break Free CLP or similar.

I'm just saying what I heard, I don't know if it is true or not. I have Break Free CLP for my other firearms, so I guess I don't need to worry.

One thing I will say though - if you have Hoppe's and want to try it, spot test it firt for a few times and see if it does anything to the polymer finish or texture.
Can you dig up that video for me? Id greatly appreciate it. I actually used a conservative amount to whipe down my frame! Never again if this is true.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:27 PM   #14
XDTalk Member

Member #: 35203
OK, I found it..

YouTube - MacTeutates's Channel

Part 2 is where he talks about field stripping. If you FFWD to 5:20 and watch from there you will hear him talk about Hoppe's and then how it could be "detrimental" to the polymer casing because it is a "solvent". No more info than that. Perhaps email him if you are more curious?

I do know "solvents" can generally damage/destroy plastic, so I'm not too surprised, but perhaps it is not as big a deal in Hoppe's - maybe it is more mild.. *shrug*
XDgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #15
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 31580
My Hoppe's #9 comes in a plastic bottle so I'm going to need more evidence than just some heresay to give it credit.
cheddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #16
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddy View Post
My Hoppe's #9 comes in a plastic bottle so I'm going to need more evidence than just some heresay to give it credit.
Yeah thats very true. I didnt think of that one.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #17
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 33453
Well Guys, don't throw the baby out with the bath. Hoppe's No.9 is one of the best products out there for removing lead and copper fouling. mercuric oxide, powder residue, while it inhibits rust. I use it according to directions and it has been fine.

Back during the Clinton gun ban, I took a Ruger 10/22 and converted it with a polymer folding stock, flash suppressor, 50rd magazine, anything I could think of to make it look like an AR15. It still looks great with no amine blush at all.

CLP in the bottle, not the aerosol can is an excellent lubricant and rust inhibitor. The aerosol cleaners are solvents also and have the undesired trait of evaporating.

In summary.

1. Hoppe's No.9

2. CLP bottle

3. Silicone Cloth

4. Aerosol Gun Scrubber (occasionally)

I'll keep an eye out for you.

1EYEJACK

Last edited by 1EYEJACK; 03-12-2009 at 06:14 PM.
1EYEJACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #18
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 23028
Quote:
Originally Posted by carhartt View Post
Actually the problem I have is that the bottle always leaks.
The Hoppe's solvent bottle sucks. I've had a couple tip over without me knowing, and both times they leaked everywhere.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #19
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
The Hoppe's solvent bottle sucks. I've had a couple tip over without me knowing, and both times they leaked everywhere.
You must be as clumsy as the guy in your avatar.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #20
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 21227
Hoppes #9 Solvent safe for long term?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
No; using #9 as a cleaning agent on the finish of your gun won't harm it.

Just remember to wipe it off with a clean cloth when you finish, and then apply a good protectant oil afterwards (not that the #9 will cause problems, but, as stated above, it has no protectant qualities...).

+ 1

Pete V
Pete V is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

Search tags for this page
hoppe 9 safe for matte finish

hoppe's 9

hoppe's 9 solvent

hoppes 9

hoppes 9 polymer safe

hoppes 9 safe for polymer
how to use hoppes 9 solvent
is hoppes 9 bore cleaner safe
is hoppes 9 safe on polymer

is hoppes 9 solvent safe on guns

will hoppes 9 damage polymer
will hoppes 9 solvent cause rust
Click on a term to search for related topics.