• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

"Best" bore cleaner?

This is a discussion on "Best" bore cleaner? within the General Firearms Maintenance and Troubleshooting forums, part of the Use and Training category; I just wanted to toss this out there and see what happens...I'm in need of some more bore cleaner, targets etc. I'm kinda torn as ...

Old 09-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 4807
"Best" bore cleaner?

I just wanted to toss this out there and see what happens...I'm in need of some more bore cleaner, targets etc.
I'm kinda torn as to which one works the best as a bore cleaner. I've been lookin around online at Butch's bore shine....and Hoppe's 9, however haven't used either. I've been using a small bottle of some kinda bore cleaner from Gunslick I believe it is...it's seemed to work well, and has a slight citrus smell to it. I can't stand using that stuff that comes with the cleaning kits, I can't remember which brand...it gives me a headache. Other than that I usually use Break-Free for everything else most of the time.
I would like to get something non spray...I've been sprayin the Break Free I do have in a small bowl to dip q-tips in etc...usually makin a mess. The bottle of bore cleaned I have left isn't spray...so it's nice to just kinda dip a bore brush directly into it and let the extra drip back into the bottle.
Thanks for the advice fellas...besides long time no thread posting for me anyways so here's one
FatMatt1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
XDTalk Supporter

Member #: 40869
I use the Gun-slick foaming bore cleaner, Hoppe's #9 and Break Free. all three work well. Break Free comes in bottles that are more of a dropper, you might try that.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:41 AM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 33037
Hoppes #9 works well for me, though I have had people tell me that it bothers them (smell) so I started using Hoppes Elite Gun Cleaner. The elite comes in a pump spray bottle but works fairly well.
carhartt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
I use Butch's for my rifles, otherwise I like Gunzilla or Breakfree. Sweet's 762 for copper solvent.

BTW--you can get Breakfree in squeeze bottles, etc...not just aeresol cans. I picked up a gallon jug a few years ago, and I think I may be good for the next decade or so...

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 45270
I've used most bore cleaners and I keep coming back to Hoppes.

ProTip: Get a bottle of something cheap from the drug store that comes in a dropper-type bottle (I use a bottle of saline nasal spray like the one pictured) dump out whatever is in the bottle, yank off the attached straw if there is one, and refill the bottle with Hoppes. Voila! You can now dispense drop-by-drop or stream squirt your bore solvent on patches or brushes. Keeps the bulk of your solvent clean and it's far easier to use. Pretty much spill-proof too.

Ballistic Contraption!
Horoscope Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Heyy the saline bottle is a great idea...I think my wife has a couple of almost empty ones for her contact solution.
I bet that'd work well with storing the stuff also....spray cans take up alotta room in my small tool/tackle box.
Thanks!!!
Old 09-14-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 39443
I store my solvents in fluorinated plastic bottles. HDPE and LDPE plastic bottle may be attacked by different solvents. I get mine from Sinclair:
SINCLAIR INTERNATIONAL : Solvent Bottles -
I get the 3 pak with flip top.

Hoppes comes in a plastic bottle where Shooter's choice come in a glass bottle so you can guess that Shooter's would be more aggressive to plastic. But that is a guess on my part.
Old4Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 39431
I still use Hoppe's. Not only does it clean the gun, but it is the best air freshener going.
TACC XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:19 AM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Is the Hoppes that is the good stuff the one with a big number 9 on it or is it something else?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 45270
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatMatt1981 View Post
Is the Hoppes that is the good stuff the one with a big number 9 on it or is it something else?
Hoppes #9 Bore Solvent in the yellow label is what everyone means when they say "Hoppes". This is the old standby version of Hoppes we old timers reminisce about.

Hoppes also makes a "Semi Auto #9" bore solvent (silver label) and "Bench Rest 9" copper solvent (black label) but those are both roughly twice the price of yellow-label #9 at my local places.

I tried the Auto Solvent one time and I think the main difference between the two solvents is that the Auto Solvent evaporates far, far faster than #9 does. Rubbing-alcohol-fast, as I recall.

Ballistic Contraption!
Horoscope Fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » General Firearms Maintenance and Troubleshooting

Search tags for this page

best bore cleaner

best bore cleaning solvent
best bore solvent
best general bore cleaner hoppes 9
best gun barrel cleaner
best gun bore cleaner
best rifle bore cleaner
best rifle bore solvent
best shotgun bore cleaner
bore cleaner review
bore solvent review
good bore cleaner
gun bore cleaner that works
hoppes semi auto
the best gun bore cleaner
whats the difference between copper solvent and powder solvent when cleaning guns
Click on a term to search for related topics.