• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

SHTF micro gun cleaning kit????

This is a discussion on SHTF micro gun cleaning kit???? within the Gear Talk forums, part of the Armory Talk category; So i have done a little searching on here and google. One thing that seems to be over looked with shtf gear, is gun cleaning ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » Gear Talk » SHTF micro gun cleaning kit????

Old 10-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
ath
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 70937
Question SHTF micro gun cleaning kit????

So i have done a little searching on here and google. One thing that seems to be over looked with shtf gear, is gun cleaning kits(more so pistol kits). Every one seems to talk about guns and ammo for shtf, but not cleaning the guns. I would like to make one that is on the smaller and lighter side. Also what do u use if u are in a Shtf type of deal, with out a kit and need to clean your gun. I have some ideas, just looking at what you guys think.??
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 54775
I will use what I use now. a toothbrush, cut up t shirt, and a bore snake.
Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 6414
It's probably because most of what a cleaning kit has can be improvised.
chupacabrachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 16502
T-shirt, q Tips, Bore snake and a toothbrush.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

US Army 2005 - 2014
Kimber Series I Compact Aluminum - My Carry
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Life Member
SAF Defenders Club Life Membership
AZCDL Life Membership

IN HELPDESK WE TRUST #2

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!"

Capt. John Parker, Lexington militia
ArmyGuy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 1698
For a larger BOB an otis kit can clean everything from .22/.223 to 12 gauge. For a smaller BOB just pack a few bore snakes.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

&

Krackels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 67026
You'd probably get better answers posting this in the SHTF subforum...

Anyways, if it's just a local or regional event (let's say like Hurricane Sandy) then you don't need to waste room and weight in your preps on a gun cleaning kit. An event like Sandy is over in a week or two. How many thousands of rounds have any of those residents fired?

For an INCH bag / TEOTWAWKI, then it's a reasonable consideration, but again, if you're planning on shooting thousands of rounds, you probably need a better plan. Getting into that many fire fights probably means your life expectancy is going to be shorter than your gun's maintenance interval. As was mentioned, a t-shirt to serve as a boresnake and maybe an old toothbrush is about as much as can be expected. Solvents will likely have much more important uses, so you probably won't be wasting any on a gun. The best you might hope for would be some spare motor oil as lube, but even then you'd have to question...if you're living a feral lifestyle after TEOTWAWKI, there's probably a lot of dirt and dust in your life, and an oily gun is going to gunk up in a big hurry...
speedrrracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
...spare motor oil as lube...an oily gun is going to gunk up in a big hurry...
My guns love oil. Lots of it.
chupacabrachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
ath
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 70937
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
You'd probably get better answers posting this in the SHTF subforum...

Anyways, if it's just a local or regional event (let's say like Hurricane Sandy) then you don't need to waste room and weight in your preps on a gun cleaning kit. An event like Sandy is over in a week or two. How many thousands of rounds have any of those residents fired?

For an INCH bag / TEOTWAWKI, then it's a reasonable consideration, but again, if you're planning on shooting thousands of rounds, you probably need a better plan. Getting into that many fire fights probably means your life expectancy is going to be shorter than your gun's maintenance interval. As was mentioned, a t-shirt to serve as a boresnake and maybe an old toothbrush is about as much as can be expected. Solvents will likely have much more important uses, so you probably won't be wasting any on a gun. The best you might hope for would be some spare motor oil as lube, but even then you'd have to question...if you're living a feral lifestyle after TEOTWAWKI, there's probably a lot of dirt and dust in your life, and an oily gun is going to gunk up in a big hurry...
Im not ever planning to shoot thousands of rounds... but in a situation like Sandy, and you do bug out. Or just have to walk to get gas or walk to a supplies store area, there is high water, dirt, mud, and strong winds blowing stuff around.. u think your gun wont be seeing any of that even if its in a bug out bag? yes most well make guns will fire with some dirt or water in them. but i would like to keep that piece of mind that i have a clean gun that will go bang, if there is someone that puts me in harms way
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 73225
1 bottle of liquid Frog Lube + appropriately size bore snake and micro fiber cloth/s

Best way to clean barrel is (If cold) rapid fire 2-3 rounds then quickly field strip start the bore snake then apply FL on bore snake and run through barrel 2 times, works great for me after 200 rd range visit.
GrandmasTampon is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » Gear Talk

gun cleaning, shtf gear

Search tags for this page
best gun cleaner shtf

best gun cleaning kit

best gun cleaning kit 2012
best gun cleaning kits

best pistol cleaning kit

best pistol cleaning kits
forums gun cleaning kit
gun cleaning how important shtf
shtf cleaning kit
shtf gun cleaning
shtf gun cleaning kit
shtf kit
shtf micro mini 1911
what is the best gun cleaning kit
xd forum gun cleaning kit
Click on a term to search for related topics.