• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

New Shooter/ New Handgun Owner

This is a discussion on New Shooter/ New Handgun Owner within the Gear Talk forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Just bought the XDM 3.8 Compact 9mm and LOVE IT! But I'm new to shooting handguns and this is my first handgun that I've purchased. ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » Gear Talk » New Shooter/ New Handgun Owner

Old 01-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 68234
New Shooter/ New Handgun Owner

Just bought the XDM 3.8 Compact 9mm and LOVE IT! But I'm new to shooting handguns and this is my first handgun that I've purchased. So, I'm very excited but I know nothing.

I was wondering if anyone had some advice on accessories such as holsters for CCW and for the range. Also any suggestions on night sights or lasers/tactical lights?

Remember, I'm new at this. So be nice.
Khclarkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 68103
I have a Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster for the range. It sticks out fairly far, so I wouldn't recommend it for concealed carry, but I love it. Good luck!
Old 01-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 67220
I know how you feel about a new gun. Now that you have got you one, go to gun shows would be your best bet to find what you want and what you like. that way you will see all of the different types and styles of lasers, holsters, and other accessories. I want a green laser and there is one that is rechargeable. and after waiting I have also found a green laser that will fit around the trigger guard that looks very nice and not worry about the battery dieing on you. Also Look at cheaper than Dirt web site, there is a lot of items there you can look for by Manufacturer. and clothing that you can get to carry CCW, vest, magzines. I can spend hours looking but start looking in more detail of what your looking for and you can find what you want and what works best for you.
Good luck with your new XDm .. I am getting one next month..
Mustangs (horses and cars)
NRA member since 1-14-2012
battz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 49858
Welcome to the Forum! Your journey has just begun. Fun hu??

Have fun, be safe!

"So...they say you have a monster? A curse upon this land?? I am ripper, tearer, slasher, gouger. I am the teeth in the darkness, the challenge in the night. Mine is strength, and lust and power. I am Beowulf!"- Anglo-Saxon Nowell Codex

μολὼν λαβέ
N.E. Tx.XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by battz View Post
I know how you feel about a new gun. Now that you have got you one, go to gun shows would be your best bet to find what you want and what you like. that way you will see all of the different types and styles of lasers, holsters, and other accessories. I want a green laser and there is one that is rechargeable. and after waiting I have also found a green laser that will fit around the trigger guard that looks very nice and not worry about the battery dieing on you. Also Look at cheaper than Dirt web site, there is a lot of items there you can look for by Manufacturer. and clothing that you can get to carry CCW, vest, magzines. I can spend hours looking but start looking in more detail of what your looking for and you can find what you want and what works best for you.
Good luck with your new XDm .. I am getting one next month..

Thanks for the info! I'm definitely excited. How do you feel about night sights? Or anyone for that matter. Any brands that I should be looking into?
Khclarkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
XDTalk Supporter

Member #: 67471
Welcome from Ohio!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
XDTalk 20K Member

Member #: 26776
Welcome from Florida.

If you are completely new to guns, I suggest taking some sort of basic shooting course. It will definitely benefit you in the long run.
As for night sights, I have Trijicons and they work great for me.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:38 AM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 63517
If you find it being more of a home defense firearm then I'd very much so suggest night sights and some sort of light (i prefer that attaches to the weapon and which can also be palmed without issues)

For holsters I'd go with a Blackhawk for open carry/ Range use. & a crossbreed or theisholster for CC if you have your permit that is

blackhawk is a great holster as it has a lock and both the IWB holster that I mentioned are good as they are deep concealment
Lacsamana_XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacsamana_XD View Post
If you find it being more of a home defense firearm then I'd very much so suggest night sights and some sort of light (i prefer that attaches to the weapon and which can also be palmed without issues)

For holsters I'd go with a Blackhawk for open carry/ Range use. & a crossbreed or theisholster for CC if you have your permit that is

blackhawk is a great holster as it has a lock and both the IWB holster that I mentioned are good as they are deep concealment

It's more of an all around self defense firearm. I'm planning on carrying. My CPL comes in February! And I'm planning on having it as a home defense. I will definitely look into those holsters. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 68103
I want to CC, but I don't have a good enough reason to do it lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » Gear Talk

3.8, 9mm, ccw, night sights

Search tags for this page
9mm gun for new shooter
accessories for new pistol shooter
best hand gun for new shooter
best handgun for a new shooter
best handgunfor a new owner
best handguns for new owners

best pistol for new shooters

hand guns for new shooters

handgun new owner accessoies

handgun shooting accessories

information for new pistol owner

new handgun owner

new handgun owner accessories
recommended items for new pistol shooters
recommended pistol shooting accessories
what are some good accessories to have for handgun shooting
Click on a term to search for related topics.