• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Hello and my pics of my holster aspirations

This is a discussion on Hello and my pics of my holster aspirations within the Gear Talk forums, part of the Armory Talk category; What's up? Newbie to the forum, long time XD cheerleader. I figure if anyone's gonna appreciate a tastefully-seated XD, it's gonna be you guys. Around ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » Gear Talk » Hello and my pics of my holster aspirations

Old 05-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 58881
Hello and my pics of my holster aspirations

What's up? Newbie to the forum, long time XD cheerleader. I figure if anyone's gonna appreciate a tastefully-seated XD, it's gonna be you guys.

Around 4 months ago, I decided to stop chasing the dollar and actually do what I love, letting everything else fall into place. Here's where I'm at:

Note... the handstitching is my nemesis. It's the major thing that I feel is stopping me from making the transition from homemade to handmade.

SentryGunleather is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
Nice work.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41454
You can still use machine sewing and call it "hand made". You cut the parts, your assembled them, you finished the leather. Sounds hand made to me.

Many moons ago when I was in the Boy Scouts I used to do leather crafts. I've thought about taking it up again when I look around and see all the great holsters and other stuff I see people on here making.

Firearms: None. All were lost in an unfortunate boating accident on Tempe Townlake.

XDTalk Member Distribution Map

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Instructions on adding yourself are in post #497

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
texan_eagle_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Thanks.

I busted my butt to get to this point. Not only teaching myself leathercrafting, but also holstermaking. You'd be surprised what you can teach yourself when you analyze things excessively.

There's a guy floating around named Particle (ALW) that has some how-to videos on holstermaking. I feel he makes some of the best looking rigs I've ever seen. Granted, I've yet to handle one, but they're definitely looking legit. Put together my first holster and I've been wide open ever since.

I've walked away from it many times for a few hours, up to a couple of days. Handstitching and forming the leather will wear you out, no problem. A few weeks ago, 3:30 in the morning, I find myself heating the needle up to embed it into the cutting board so I can use my body weight to push it through the leather because my knuckles are so blowed out and swollen that I can barely move my hands... and I'm like "really, dude"? But I finished that damn holster, that night and it was better than the one before it. Nobody will ever be able to take that from me.

I'm not here to sell holsters. I'm here because I will always adore the XD, SA's customer service, group thinking/progress and the company of the lawful. I'm on another forum because of their holstermaker thread that is frequented by individuals that I seek to share a competency with. Point is, I'm just looking to grow.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41454
Your reasoning sounds good to me. Share what you have learned, and others will do the same no doubt. Maybe we can get a "Leather working" subforum started so we can keep the info together.

Firearms: None. All were lost in an unfortunate boating accident on Tempe Townlake.

XDTalk Member Distribution Map

Instructions on adding yourself are in post #497

texan_eagle_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Just a few things things that come to mind:

- I cain't believe I went as long as I did without a round knife

- Fiebings Resolene is the best finish I've used, though it takes practice to get right

- Respect the grain and its behavior

- I will never wet-form a holster. Once you soak it, things will never be the same. Leather will let you in but you're gonna have to take her somewhere nice, rub her back, tell her she's witty, etc. You will enjoy elasticity that wet-forming simply can't produce.

- Two layers will usually, if not always, afford you what one layer cannot

- Heat is your friend. Not overcooking. Simply "waking things up"

- I don't use templates or patterns, for the most part. I build every holster from the weapon, out. This seems to render machine stitching impractical, if not impossible.

- Technique, technique, technique. Don't be too proud to revisit the basics. Everything gets clearer once the fundamentals are understood
Old 05-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

You gotta see Particle's work. I'm definitely not affiliated with him and, like I said, I haven't handled one of his holsters. If anything, I'm his biggest fan that he's never met. You gotta admit... if nothing else... the photo shoots go well.

Gallery

Is the posting of links prohibited?
Old 05-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

edit
Old 05-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Don't let the chubby cheeks fool you as this rig couldn't be further from cute...

- Competition-inspired, breech-side cut to afford speed of presentation (less leather to clear).

- Quad-ply cabin maintains structure at retention points and resists overall deformation

- Countersunk interior stitching helps to protect against the weapon "sawing" at the threads.

- Combat grip allows the operator's hand to readily "accept the weapon".

- Engineered retention that would make Kydex blush.

- Kickass chocolate brown color.

- Yada, yada, yada...

** Please excuse the old, cut-up belt i have strung through there. It's simply to replicate what will eventually be a gnarly gun belt sample.

You have to admit... the cuffs make the photo shoot POP! Haha...

Coming soon are my LE rigs that will cater to professionals with arrest powers.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Started playing with plastic. She needs some tweaking and more definition, but overall, I'm content.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » Gear Talk

holster, kydex, leather, mag, springfield

Search tags for this page
free gun holster patterns

free holster patterns

free leather gun holster patterns

free leather holster patterns

futuristic holster
gun holster patterns free

holster patterns free

kydex handcuff case
kydex handcuff holder
kydex holster patterns

leather holster patterns free

pistol holster patterns free
printable holster patterns
sentry gun leather
sentry gun leather kydex holster
Click on a term to search for related topics.