• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

my first post... filled with fiberglass

This is a discussion on my first post... filled with fiberglass within the Gear Talk forums, part of the Armory Talk category; You can buy a small thing of resin and hardener at meijers or wallyworld for around 10 and a mat for loke 5. Trust me ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » Gear Talk » my first post... filled with fiberglass

Old 04-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #21
XDTalk Member

Member #: 53333
You can buy a small thing of resin and hardener at meijers or wallyworld for around 10 and a mat for loke 5. Trust me it is veeerr4yy time consuming. Not cost effective to build one for someone else but for yourself its fun
pulsator2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #22
XDTalk Member

Ok well on to the bigggest issue with making a holster out of fiberglass... fiberglass. Its hard, and even though you can sand it super smooth its still made of tiny glass strands. Not so good on blueing! My solution? Sem. I know that its a name brand of automotive chemicals but sem is what my brother calls it. Its a ruberized undercoating in an aerosol can and can be bought or ordered from most autobody paint stores. As for the cost i do nlt know seems how my brother left a few cans in my barn and i just borrowed one. I would assume between $15 and 30. It goes on thick and basically dries rock hard. Yet the surface is rubbery. Perfect.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
The only flaw is if you touch it before its dried(actually dries very fast) you will leave a nice fingerprint like i did. Ill have to sand that out eventually and recoat the outside.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #23
XDTalk Member

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #24
XDTalk Member

as for the straps i actually just cut them off my ebay holster and used them. i even did a bit of sewing to get them just right heres now it looks[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #25
XDTalk Member

as you can see i dont have a strap to hold the gun in the holster. it would be easy enough to add one but it almpst locks in place and wearing it around the other day and even sitting in a chair it doesnt want to just fall out so i dont think one is nesessary. thats all the pictures i have so if you want a picture of something else let me know. total cost would most likely be between 25 and 35 depending on how much the sem undercoating is. i can barely guess how much time i have into this because its 10 minuites, here 20 there... but between 8 and 12 hours total. i posted this with all of the pictures because when i went searching to see if i should do this all i found was one person who had evrr posted a picture of one. anything is possibe if you put your mind to it. whew im done!
Old 04-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #26
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 5873
dont froget the cost of the holster and shipping of the one you hacked up for the straps

looks like it came out nice

I just cant get around what you have in it

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
.40-.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #27
XDTalk Member

I believe its safariland that makes a hard thigh holster and they go for over 110. The holster that i hacked up cost me 15 at the time i bought it. Like i said though it was useless once i put the tall dawson front sight on. For me it was well worth the cost savings of buying another holster. For most... who dont know how to fiberglass or have the time its definately not worth it. I also made this holster so that later on i can make straps and turn it into a shoulder holster.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #28
XDTalk Member

Went out shooting today. Loved the holster. Smooth in and smooth out!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:52 AM   #29
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 58339
Very innovative and I bet you are proud to say you made it yourself. My thought is it will be a great conversation starter for new range/shooting buddies. Nice work!
matthew03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » Gear Talk

building, custom, fiberglass, holster, making

Search tags for this page
custom fiberglass holster
custom fiberglass paintballgun
fiberglass 22 gun
fiberglass gun
fiberglass gun holster
fiberglass gun mod for paintball

fiberglass holster

gun holster. fiberglass
how to make fiberglass holster
how to make fiberglass hood
kel tec custom grips bondo
make fiberglass holster
making a fiberglass holster
spray fiberglass bondo
taped guns
Click on a term to search for related topics.