• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Peltor Tactical 6S vs Howard Leight ImpactSport

This is a discussion on Peltor Tactical 6S vs Howard Leight ImpactSport within the Gear Talk forums, part of the Armory Talk category; For those of you looking for some electronic muffs, here are some suggestions/brief reviews. Before I start, I ALWAYS wear plugs under the muffs as ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » Gear Talk » Peltor Tactical 6S vs Howard Leight ImpactSport

Old 04-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 25668
Peltor Tactical 6S vs Howard Leight ImpactSport

For those of you looking for some electronic muffs, here are some suggestions/brief reviews. Before I start, I ALWAYS wear plugs under the muffs as well. Needed? Maybe not, but it helps even more.

Back in January I came across a killer deal and got 2 of the Peltor Tactical 6S muffs. My biggest complaint about the 6S has always the "audio managment". While they work as intended, the audio is not very loud, the batteries are a pain in the ass to change out, it takes 4 batteries (2 each side), it EATS batteries like no tomorrow, you have 2 volume controls (1 each side). However, BIG plus is the low profile which I really liked. Also, very good fit for smaller heads (fit my wife better than me). Price: ~$60-ish

So I kept going back to the Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs and finally decided I will sell one of the 6S and pick up a set of the Impact Sport. While still "low" profile, they are definitely bigger than the 6S (see pix) and also are built a lot better (my opinion). However, vs the 6S they have couple things going for them: only 2 batteries under the black cover, a lot easier to change the batteries, 1 volume control, they can go pretty loud and the audio management is a lot better, fit seems to be a lot more comfortable for me, and another cool feature is the AUX jack which will allow you to hook up a ipod or whatever. Price: ~$50-ish

Anyways, anyone looking for something in this department, my recommendation is the Impact Sports. Eventhough, for the money I do not think you can go wrong either way.

SW M&P 9 SHIELD |
RRA LAR15 Tactical Operator2 | Troy | Vortex | Magpul | Ergo
badmax18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55032
My awesome wife got me the Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs last holiday season. They are great. I can hear when we are discussing rounds and layouts while other people are shooting without issue. They have an auto off feature to help extend battery life but I keep using super cheap mass quantity batteries from walmart and dont mine swapping them out for the time I am using them.

Those Peltors look very nice though!

Thanks for the review. I was often wondering how the other units compare.

Twin Springfield XD(m) 4.5 9MM
- Veridian Green Laser on one
Taurus PT1911AR .45
Taurus TCP
Ruger LCR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

psychocabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 53653
I have the Peltor Tactical Pro's. They're not low profile but they're great. Great NRR rating so I don't have to wear extra protection. Sound amplifier is great, comfortable and I've been on the same two batteries for about 24 hours now. I would definately recommend them.
lvxdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 21003
I have used both. I have found the Howard Leight's stay out of my way when mounting my shotguns or rifles better than the Peltor's, and the switch to turn them on, being low-profile, is harder to activate by accident (like while being bounced around in my gear bag.) They also have, I think, a two hour cut-off, so if you leave them on by accident you don't drain the battery.

I left my Peltors on by accident, and they never came back on.

I think the Peltor's sound quality is a little better, but the Howard Leight's are what I'm currently using.
tialloydragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » Gear Talk

Search tags for this page
howard leight impact sport vs peltor 6

howard leight impact sport vs peltor tactical 6s

howard leight vs peltor

peltor 6s review

peltor 6s vs howard leight

peltor 6s vs howard leight impact sport
peltor or howard leight
peltor tactical 6s

peltor tactical 6s review

peltor tactical 6s vs howard leight

peltor tactical sport vs 6s

peltor vs howard leight

Click on a term to search for related topics.