• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

DIY Kydex Hybrid Holster

This is a discussion on DIY Kydex Hybrid Holster within the Gear Talk forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I thought i'd share with you guys my experience and hope that it helps ppl. Thanks. - Used old Toaster Oven and old used aluminum ...

Old 10-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 34918
DIY Kydex Hybrid Holster for about $25

I thought i'd share with you guys my experience and hope that it helps ppl. Thanks.

- Used old Toaster Oven and old used aluminum baking tray
- Razor Knife (optional for cutting only straight lines on kydex)
- Drill (to drill holes in kydex and leather)
- Dremel Tool (optional and used to shape or make precise cuts)
- Make shift wooden Vise (Picture below)
- Foam (I used whatever foam i had and floor foam. I've read ppl use the blue foam that you can buy at walmart in the camping section for sleeping bags.)
- White crayon to mark kydex (This is optional)
- "C" Clamp 6" (about $10 at home depot)

Optional Stuff you could use that i did not use:
- Heat Gun
- Sand paper
- Band saw or small hack saw to cut kydex into desired shape

Kydex Holster Kit from OldFaithfulHolsters . com

Toaster Oven

Vise made from scrap wood and a door hinge

Kydex sheet was 12"x6" but i only needed 6"x6" so i used a razor to cut the kydex a few times then had to bend it to break apart. I only used a 6"x6" sheet of kydex bc i cut a 6x6 sheet of paper and placed it on the gun for practice so i'd advise you to try that method before cutting and heating up your kydex

Next i placed my XD Service Model on the vise and place the kydex sheet under it to see how i would need to place the kydex sheet on top of the gun after i heated it up

I then placed my gun on the leather sheet to see how it would sit to get a visual idea of what im doing

I heated up the Kydex and placed it on top of the gun and put it in the vise. I used a "C" clamp and used the door hinge to create pressure instead of buying a few "C" Clamps. My toaster oven was at about 350 degrees so i heated the **** out of it but be careful not to melt it but if you, thats what the aluminum tray is for.

I placed the gun and molded kydex on the leather to see placement and be able to mark where i need to cut

I made the markings of where i needed to cut with the white crayon

Using the dremel, i cut per my designated lines.
FYI, when using a dremel it melts the kydex creating melted strands that can be peeled or sanded off.

And there you have it, an XD Supertuck for Concealed Carry for about $25 not including tools!

In the future, i will redo my vise with better foam and possibly buy a heat gun for more precise tuning.

Took me about 3-4hrs bc it was my first time and i did a lot of fine tuning. I imagine in the future it'd be about an hour.

Tips or positive criticism is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by deletejunkemail; 10-01-2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: fix links
deletejunkemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
Nice work.

I would have trimmed a bit more kydex especially around the edges where there is no leather sticking out beyond the kydex.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 48870
very nice
JustRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 43432
Looks great, good step by steps as well.

I'd say you should be proud of your DIY holster!
Old 10-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

agalindo - Preciate the tips. I'm currently wearing it right now trying to see what other cuts i need to make. Your right about cutting more kydex which is the fine tuning ill be doing later this weekend. It feels so nice to have made my own and custom to my desires and for the right price!
Old 10-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

JustRick - Thanks dude!

windsearcher - Preciate the love for my work!
Old 10-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 47683
looks good... but I think I will let Mark and his crew keep making mine ! I still use my toaster oven for my eggos..

Member GeorgiaCarry.org
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

& GeorgiaPacking.org

& 941 Forum

BG_Atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #8
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
Quote:
Originally Posted by deletejunkemail View Post
agalindo - Preciate the tips. I'm currently wearing it right now trying to see what other cuts i need to make. Your right about cutting more kydex which is the fine tuning ill be doing later this weekend. It feels so nice to have made my own and custom to my desires and for the right price!
Yep I've been there. Another thing I did was use soft pig skin on the opposite side made it much more comfortable.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 48870
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG_Atl View Post
looks good... but I think I will let Mark and his crew keep making mine ! I still use my toaster oven for my eggos..
Yep, I just ordered on from them today for my XDm
I think the kydex would melt in my toaster
JustRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 46446
I wonder how difficult it would be to make a Raven Concealment style holster, if this guy managed to make such a nice supertuck knockoff with a toaster and a dremel lol. Anyone ever tried it?
orbrecon is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » Gear Talk

diy, kydex

Search tags for this page
diy hybrid holster
diy kydex

diy kydex holster

diy kydex holster kit
how to make a holster
how to make a hybrid holster
how to make a hybrid kydex leather holster
how to shape kydex
hybrid kydex holster
kydex holster
kydex holster kits
kydex hybrid holster
kydex hybrid holster kits
kydex sheet
making your own hybrid kydex holster
shaping kydex for a holster
Click on a term to search for related topics.