• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Guns for Gimps! Looking for a CCW holster, particularly a Belly-Band

This is a discussion on Guns for Gimps! Looking for a CCW holster, particularly a Belly-Band within the Gear Talk forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Hola, I probably mentioned some of this in my re-intro post, but here's a summary of my situation: I am youngish, but feel effin' old. ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » Gear Talk » Guns for Gimps! Looking for a CCW holster, particularly a Belly-Band

Old 07-08-2009, 03:46 AM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 2807
Cool Guns for Gimps! Looking for a CCW holster, particularly a Belly-Band

Hola, I probably mentioned some of this in my re-intro post, but here's a summary of my situation: I am youngish, but feel effin' old. My spine was crushed in a car accident several years ago, leaving me paraplegic. That means I am totally paralyzed below the chest, but my arms & shoulders were not effected, so I have full use of my upper body, just not my legs or trunk. I got a CWP and an XD(4" 357sig) when I turned 21, though I didn't really carry on my person and thus never found a holster.

Now I "live" in the deep south, and just applied for a CWP in this state. I REALLY hope my application goes through, as I am very obviously a visbly easy target due to my disability. I have been thinking a lot about what kind of holster would work best for my situation. I decided that a Belly-Band would probably work the best for me, though I am also considering getting a granny-pack to have as a backup option. I really don't think any kind of in or out of the waistband holster, shoulder rig, or thunderwear style of holster would work, for a variety of reasons.

I have been searching for info & reviews, and have been surprised by how many varieties of belly-bands there are. I just started trying to put together a list, and it looks like there are well over a dozen different belly-band holsters on the market! It's a little overwhelming, so I could use some advice and help deciding on what would work best for me.

I read someone on here talking about bell-bands, and they said they had tried the Galco belly band, and one of the cheaper ones. They said they liked the cheaper one better because it was more versatile and the Galco leather one could get a little hot against the body. That would definitely be an issue for me, because unfortunately I now "live" in the DEEP SOUTH, where it is hot and humid as hell, probably more so. I have not, and never will adapt to this miserable heat, so I don't need to be wrapped in leather.

I was also thinking my XD(my only firearm) would probably be the best concealed kinda framing my gut. Like with the slide to my side and the grip sitting on top of my gut. I'm not a real big guy, though I have a bit of a gut now that most of my body doesn't function and thus burn fat, and I have zero trunk muscle/ab tone to hold my stomach in.

So if I could find a cheap, vesatile, functional belly band, that would be great. I've seen several very inexpensive ones on eBay, and a bunch more around the web, most for under $50. I would like one with some extra pockets, or at least an extra mag holder; though the more options available the better! Once I get my list more put together I can post some info/pics/links here; but I would really appreciate some suggestions and info from those of you who have experience with and/or know about Belly Band style holsters, so I can make an informed decision and find one that is quality and works the best for my needs. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2009, 03:52 AM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 24597
I am assuming you are constantly in a wheelchair. Don't think you would actually need a concealable (on the body type holster) when you could probably mount something to the side of the chair which may work out better. Not on the outside of the chair but between you and the side. Just thinking here and don't know for sure. You could conceal it with a blanket or some other such object over your waist. Have you considered this?
Spawnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:09 AM   #3
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 23028
A lot of people love the SmartCarry. I have never used one, but I couldn't tell you how many times I've read comments online about how good it is.

SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters
Old 07-08-2009, 07:55 AM   #4
XDTalk Member

Member #: 2807
Yes, I am what they refer to as "wheelchair bound", ugh. Anyways, I think it is important to have my gun in a holster on my body(like a belly band under my shirt). If I fall or am pushed out of my chair(both of which have happened), or transfer out of it, I'd be in a bad situation. I also think a holster attached to the chair would be difficult to conceal, and would certainly draw unwanted attention when transferring in or out of my car, which I do a lot. Plus I have to take the wheels off the chair and fold the back down to get it into my car, and it takes a beating in the process, a holster would get torn up and be most conspicous.

I've looked at the SmartCarry, but I think I would have the same issues with it as something like the thunderwear. My body is FUBAR and waging biological warfare against me, so I have other equipment in that location, and it is not a safe place for anything I value
Old 07-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 27773
For $35 this one would seem to fit the bill, and at least let you try thr "belly band" option without too much out of pocket expense.
Defender Gun Concealment Holsters

"Carpe Cerevisi"
Chromey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 36848
When I first saw your handle I thought you were a friend of uncle Ted ( Nugent ). You are already aware of the first thing I would have told you. Most attackers want to separate the victim from their wheelchair, you have that covered by having your defenses on your person not the chair. You did not state if you had feeling in the area the gun will be secreted. You already know you want to avoid skin irritation and damage from the holster. I would suggest you contact a couple of the custom holster makers. Tell them your situation and what you want to do. They may be able to change, adapt, or custom make a holster to your measurements that functions for you better than anything available off the shelf.
J B S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
SRD
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 13092
JBS i agree with you, Who knows some holster makers may have already custom made holsters for people in your situation and may know of a better way to adapt one to you. Belly bands are ok but i wouldnt trust one to secure the gun if i am thrown to the ground .

-------------------------------------------------
Since my list was to long last time ill only put my favorite pistols

HKP7
CZ82
Browning Hi power
FN Hi power
Sig p232
Sig p220 Elite SS
NAA 22PUG
XD45
G19
G29
Norinco Ak47
FN PS90 SBR
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
Official Site Vendor

Member #: 14657
Send me a PM would be happy to discuss what we can do for you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Gun-Works.com is wholly owned subsidiary of Tennessee Holster Company, LLC
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

-

-

-
(Gun Belts, Money Belts, embossed Belts)
-
Houseboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:11 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 29469
If I were in your situation, I would go for a shoulder rig. There are many different brands, and some are very comfortable.
Cremator75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 14536
Quote:
Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
A lot of people love the SmartCarry. I have never used one, but I couldn't tell you how many times I've read comments online about how good it is.

SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters

Just wondering if you or anyone else heard draw times using SmartCarry (from draw to first shot fired)?

"Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion...in private self-defense" - John Adams

"A gentleman seldom needs a pistol but when he needs one he needs it very badly" - Winston Churchill

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -Thomas Jefferson
Maximum1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » Gear Talk

belly band, ccw, gimp, holster

Search tags for this page
belly band holster
belly band holsters

best belly band holster

best wheelchair holster
ccw belly band reviews
concealed carry holster wheelchair
elite defender belly band holster
grab it pack gadget holster review
hawkepaks micro gunpak
im a paraplegic with a license to carry what type of holster would you think i should use
iwb holster wheelchair
making the belly band holster work

stomach holster

wheelchair gun holsters
wheelchair holster
Click on a term to search for related topics.