• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Starting My Build

This is a discussion on Starting My Build within the Garand Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I just got word from CMP that they are shipping my order of a barreled receiver and complete bolt (SA). I already have an M1 ...

Old 12-16-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 30867
Starting My Build

I just got word from CMP that they are shipping my order of a barreled receiver and complete bolt (SA). I already have an M1 from CMP (Manufactured August 1943) so this will be my second. I currently have a stock with all metal and quite a few small parts. I have been researching several locations for parts (Fulton, Orion, Pack Rats, NorthRidge, and Garand Guy) and have been mixing and matching to finish out the build. Anyone have other sources for good parts?

I will keep this thread posted with pictures as I make the build.
Sometimes I sit and think. Sometimes I just sit.
Tank44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

The Build Continues

I received the Barrel and receiver today. Wow, I am impressed. I think CMP under rates their stuff. The receiver has no pits and the serial number and nomenclature are easy to read. The serial number shows it is from July 1943. The barrel rated Muzzle - 1, Throat - 2.

I attached the hand-guards and the lower band pin was a bear to get in. However, a little patience with a punch and mallet solved the problem. I have attached a picture showing my Sept 1943 Garand and the build below it. The next stage is to work on the gas cylinder and sights.
Attached Thumbnails
Starting My Build-m1s.jpg   Starting My Build-receiver.jpg  
Old 01-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

The Build Continues

Well, I got a shipment of small parts in so I can continue the build.

First, I attached the Front Sight to the Gas Cylinder. The Front Sight slides on and is then secured with a screw. Since the parts are newly parkerized it doesn't want to fit at first. A little elbow grease accomplished the goal. The Gas Cylinder is then slid over the barrel and made flush with the Front Hand Guard. Again, it is a tight fit. The whole unit is secured with the Gas Cylinder Lock and the Gas Cylinder Lock Screw.

I then turned my attention to the Clip Latch. This is probably the easiest part of the rifle to assemble as you just insert the clip latch and spring and secure it with a pin.

The next step was the Feed / Action Assembly. This really brought back memories of 1963 when as we were training with our issued M1s, we were required to disassemble and reassemble the Feed / Action Assemble blindfolded. This went really fast. The parts were the Op Rod Catch, the Bullet Guide, the Follower & Slide, the Follower Arm, and the Follower Rod and Spring.

Since I do not have the new Op Rod yet, I used an Op Rod from my other Garand to pull everything together and lube and test the action.

(Continued)
Attached Thumbnails
Starting My Build-m1-small-parts.jpg   Starting My Build-build03.jpg   Starting My Build-build04.jpg   Starting My Build-build05.jpg   Starting My Build-build06.jpg  

Last edited by Tank44; 01-25-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

The Build Continues (more)

I then assembled the lower stock to the unit and you can see the results in the pictures. All I have left is a new Op Rod, the Rear Sight Assembly, and the Trigger Group. Then, it will be off to the range for some "ping" fun!

I know I could have just bought a complete M1 from the CMP, but I wanted to go through the entire experience of building an M1. I highly recommend this experience for all Garand enthusiasts. You really learn just about all there is to know about this incredible and historic weapon.

To be continued........
Attached Thumbnails
Starting My Build-build07.jpg   Starting My Build-build08.jpg  
Old 01-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Order made ......

I just ordered the final parts for the build. Today they shipped:

Op rod
Complete rear sight assembly
Complete trigger group

I also placed an order with CMP for a Special Grade M1 in .308. Pictures will follow.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 43924
What a beauty. Hope to own one, one day. Growing up and watching war movies I always loved to see this rifle. The final shot and PING! got me everytime. I loved the technological gap between this rifle, the Mosin Nagant, and the K98. To me it showed where we stood as a nation. at least thats how I saw it.

Flight 93
Okay, let's roll!" -Todd Beamer

I joined what are you waiting for

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

MrStarofDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

I have never lost my love for the Garand. If I could only have one firearm, it would be a Garand. You definitely need to get one.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
XDTalk Member

Member #: 51415
Several years ago I purchased a Field Grade M1 from the CMP. When it arrived I discovered it had a 1944 receiver with it's original 1944 barrel so I decided to make the rifle as period correct as I could. Purchased a correct stock, uncut op rod, lock bar sight and all parts now have the correct drawing number for a Nov 1944 Springfield M1. It probably wasn't worth it cost-wise as some of the parts (uncut op rod and lockbar sight in particular) weren't cheap but the experience and the knowledge I gained from doing the project were awesome. Congratulations on your build!
XDM45
XDM45 COMPETITION
XDS45
COLT 1911
SIG 1911C3 CRIMSOM TRACE
KAHR PM40
NRA BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER
TSRA LIFE MEMBER
smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 57335
I would love to own one of these one day, too. I've always liked these firearms
Old 01-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 51043
I keep eying these on CMP as well. Something always sucks up the money I planned on using for one though. I need to get in on it before they run out of these rifles.
I have only ever held one once, my uncle owns one, and I was surprised by how heavy this rifle is!
Its always posts like this that reignite my fire for getting one. Beautiful rifles you have there!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » Garand Talk

Search tags for this page

garand guy

Click on a term to search for related topics.