• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

FAL Bolt Hold Open Fix

This is a discussion on FAL Bolt Hold Open Fix within the FAL Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I have had my FAL for 10 years now and the whole time the last round bolt hold open has not worked. I knew the ...

Old 01-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
AKM
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 314
FAL Bolt Hold Open Fix

I have had my FAL for 10 years now and the whole time the last round bolt hold open has not worked. I knew the pin had been ground off and I figured I'd need to buy a surplus hold open but I just never "got around to it".

Well I stumbled across this article yesterday. So... a trip to the deep-o and a few minutes with a couple of hand tools and vee-oh-la, working last round bolt hold open.

Two things that don't seem right in the article:
1 - The actual roll pin diameter you need is 3/32.
2 - There is no need to remove the hinge pin. Just make sure it's unloaded and the bolt is forward.

The deep-o only had 3/4 length so I had to cut it to size. I suggest cutting it a little long and then grinding it down as needed.

And remember, roll pins are not all created equal. You'll want one that's a bit larger than 3/32. The first couple I tried were too small. You will know it's too small if you can push it all the way through by hand. I found one that would go in the larger hole but wouldn't go through the smaller.

Don't move the mag release once the pivot pin/screw is removed and it should stay in place. The bolt hold open will slide out the bottom.

Roll pin installed and ready to go back together. In order to get the pivot pin back in you have to position the bolt hold open about 1/4 inch from the bottom of the slot.

U.S. Army/Marine Snipers - Making the World a Better Place, 175 grains at a time.

Last edited by AKM; 01-03-2013 at 10:21 AM.
AKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 16502
Pics or it didnt happen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

US Army 2005 - 2014
Kimber Series I Compact Aluminum - My Carry
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Life Member
SAF Defenders Club Life Membership
AZCDL Life Membership

IN HELPDESK WE TRUST #2

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!"

Capt. John Parker, Lexington militia
ArmyGuy45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
AKM
XDTalk 1K Member

pics

U.S. Army/Marine Snipers - Making the World a Better Place, 175 grains at a time.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 16502
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKM View Post
pics
Awesome
Good job

US Army 2005 - 2014
Kimber Series I Compact Aluminum - My Carry

NRA Life Member
SAF Defenders Club Life Membership
AZCDL Life Membership

IN HELPDESK WE TRUST #2

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!"

Capt. John Parker, Lexington militia
ArmyGuy45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 70990
Why do they do that?? I bought a FAL several years ago that was like that and we had to put a roll pin in it to make it hold the bolt open.

I just wondered what was the point behind grinding it off (mine was ground down flush.
M1A4ME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
AKM
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A4ME View Post
Why do they do that?? I bought a FAL several years ago that was like that and we had to put a roll pin in it to make it hold the bolt open.

I just wondered what was the point behind grinding it off (mine was ground down flush.
As I understand it some government egghead in some country decided that open bolts attract sand by some sort of magical power.

Not sure what country or countries did that to the STG. I do know the brits made the L1A1 without a LRBHO. They were so worried about sand in the bolt that they added sand cuts.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 70990
Okay, mine is an STG with the barrel shortened and flash suppressor welded/silver soldered to the barrel. I took the bipod off the barrel and left it off.
M1A4ME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
AKM
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A4ME View Post
Okay, mine is an STG with the barrel shortened and flash suppressor welded/silver soldered to the barrel. I took the bipod off the barrel and left it off.
Mine is also an STG (not sure what country the kit was from) with 18" barrel and a short Steyr flash hider. It didn't come with a bipod but the first thing I did was toss the metal handguards anyway.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:06 AM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 100524
here is my fix to the bolt hold open bolt-hold-last-round-fall1a1 i have a post that shows what i did to the mags
tone1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » FAL Talk

Search tags for this page
bho m botl
bolt hold open for fal
fal bho

fal bolt hold open

fal bolt hold open fix
fal bolt hold open not working
fal clone bolt hold open
fal hold open
fal l1a1 bolt hold fix
fal last round hold open
fal pin
fixing fal bolt catch
how to make a bolt catch l1a1
how to pin a fal mag to hold ten rounds
l1a1 bolt hold open for sale
l1a1 bolt release fal
Click on a term to search for related topics.