• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Help with grip technique

This is a discussion on Help with grip technique within the The Classroom forums, part of the Use and Training category; Hi. I was looking for some help/advice on improving my grip and shooting technique. Here are some photos of the grip I normally use with ...

Old 11-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 60655
Help with grip technique

Hi. I was looking for some help/advice on improving my grip and shooting technique. Here are some photos of the grip I normally use with and without my light/laser combo. I know everyone does it differently, and I would like to see some other options to try them out. Thanks for your input!
Attached Thumbnails
Help with grip technique-dscn0002-fb.jpg   Help with grip technique-dscn0003-fb.jpg   Help with grip technique-dscn0005-fb.jpg   Help with grip technique-dscn0006-fb.jpg  

XD40 Service

-Hogue Handall grip sleeve
-Nebo Protec Elite light/laser
-TruGlo TFO night sights

Olympic Arms K16-SST
-16" stainless bull-barrel
-Quad-rail forearm
-Millet SP2 red-dot scope
-Fore grip w/ bi-pod
-Nebo Protec Elite flashlight

KelTec P11
-Bone stock; Not much you can do to these little guys.
HighFlyingA380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 23108
Nice pics of your grip. How's it work for you? I have found that I hit even further left with my support-hand index finger up on the trigger guard like that. On bothe the XD and 1911 platforms. I don't know why texture it as to imply thats where your finger goes.

I'm trying to keepo that finger down now, and putting the support thumb on the take-down lever.

Ken

Douglas MacArthur
KenW. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 50872
my opinion: research the "thumbs-forward" technique on the internet. It looks like you are using a thumb-over-thumb technique which is more suited for revolver shooting. I do not put my finger on the front of the trigger guard. Also, IMO, it looks like you have too much trigger finger on the trigger. I use only the pad of my index finger, right in between the tip of my finger and the first joint. Also, my arms are not in a push-pull position as yours appear to be. I straighten and lock-out both arms.
Check out the Travis Haley (Magpul) handgun grip video. . .

sschrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 60655
KenW: Like this? If so, that feels alot more secure. One of my problems with my previous grip was that my finger on the trigger guard would slip off with the recoil, thus forcing me to re-grip for every shot. With the grip you suggested, my entire finger wraps around the trigger guard, and my thumb on the take-down lever will also help counteract the recoil. Even with the light/laser, I have a better grip around my strong hand, as well as the added help of the thumb. I can't wait to go to the range and test it out, especially with raid fire. Thanks!

sschrick: That makes sense, I have been shooting revolvers since as long as I can remember, and I just now entering the pistol realm. With only using the pad of my finger, it would slip off and I would have to 'find' the trigger for every shot. I guess combining that advice with the new grip, I won't loose the trigger for follow-up shots. Also, great video! It helps me alot to not only hear what to do, but why (engineers mind). Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Help with grip technique-dscn0002.jpg   Help with grip technique-dscn0003.jpg  

XD40 Service

-Hogue Handall grip sleeve
-Nebo Protec Elite light/laser
-TruGlo TFO night sights

Olympic Arms K16-SST
-16" stainless bull-barrel
-Quad-rail forearm
-Millet SP2 red-dot scope
-Fore grip w/ bi-pod
-Nebo Protec Elite flashlight

KelTec P11
-Bone stock; Not much you can do to these little guys.
HighFlyingA380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
XDTalk Member

Member #: 63225
ya thats better. Now I dont know if thats normaly how you pull the trigger but if so you are usuing way to much of your finger to pull the trigger. Try using just your finger tip (that way you dont move anything more than u need to) it should help you be a little more constant and not pull to one way or the other
Sogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
Cant your weak hand more at an angle (45deg). Feels weird but works better you actually feel the stretch from the canted hand.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 65529
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschrick View Post
my opinion: research the "thumbs-forward" technique on the internet. It looks like you are using a thumb-over-thumb technique which is more suited for revolver shooting. I do not put my finger on the front of the trigger guard. Also, IMO, it looks like you have too much trigger finger on the trigger. I use only the pad of my index finger, right in between the tip of my finger and the first joint. Also, my arms are not in a push-pull position as yours appear to be. I straighten and lock-out both arms.

Travis Haley on Handgun Grip - YouTube
^^^This^^^
bobbo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41665
Yea what Agalindo said. Your support hand needs to be up more as high as you can get it on the gun. With your support thumb aimed in the direction of the target along the side of the frame just below the slide. Your wrist will fell stretched as far as you can get it at that angle which will give you better recoil management because you lock it in better.

It does feel awkward at first. And keep your finger of the trigger guard.

Thumbs forward grip technique.

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty.

-Benjamin Franklin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 23108
Quote:
KenW: Like this? If so, that feels alot more secure. One of my problems with my previous grip was that my finger on the trigger guard would slip off with the recoil, thus forcing me to re-grip for every shot. With the grip you suggested, my entire finger wraps around the trigger guard, and my thumb on the take-down lever will also help counteract the recoil. Even with the light/laser, I have a better grip around my strong hand, as well as the added help of the thumb. I can't wait to go to the range and test it out, especially with raid fire
I like to cover the take-down lever with my thumb, and not place it above the lever as shown in your photo.

If your support hand is slipping under recoil, you are not holding tightly enough. I've heard to use 60% of the gripping power on the support hand, and only 40% with the strong hand.

Douglas MacArthur
KenW. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 34224
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschrick View Post

Travis Haley on Handgun Grip - YouTube

Wow, very proper technique there. I'm glad I ran across this thread. Thank you for that bit of info. Will definitely use that when I go to the range next time.
vgk1nka1dx is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » The Classroom

grip, technique

Search tags for this page
60 40 grip for pistol
60-40 handgun grip

60/40 grip

60/40 handgun grip
60/40 pistol grip
60/40grip

gripping xd

magpul travis haley pistol grip
support hand slipping pistol
thumb lforward grip
thumbs forward grip
travis haley grip
travis haley gun grip

travis haley pistol grip

xd 45 trigger control
xd9sc proper grip
Click on a term to search for related topics.