• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Is this a good thumbs forward grip or dumb

This is a discussion on Is this a good thumbs forward grip or dumb within the The Classroom forums, part of the Use and Training category; I shoot the 5" .45 tactical using a thumbs forward grip like seems to be ever so popular. Recently I've begun putting my weak hand ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » The Classroom » Is this a good thumbs forward grip or dumb

Old 07-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 47030
Is this a good thumbs forward grip or dumb

I shoot the 5" .45 tactical using a thumbs forward grip like seems to be ever so popular. Recently I've begun putting my weak hand pointer finger on the ridged front of the trigger guard. I assumed that's WHY its ridged and I do shoot much better that way but I don't see any expert doing that. Am I dumb for doing so?
mindslant is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
If it works for you, go with it. Is it the recommended method? No. The finger on the triggerguard method fell out of favor a while back (mainly because lights started getting hung on pistols, and it was no longer always feasible), but some still use it.

Every edge that you can get...

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 40218
Not really as long as it works well for you.

There are accepted ways of holding the weapon that work for most shooters but that doesn't mean other ways won't work. Find a grip that you can train with and then train until you are accurate with it.
OneInThePipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 47030
It wasn't ditched as a bad technique then.
mindslant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 54228
I use that grip on my cougar. I can't on the p226. For some reason it's uncomfortable on it but very comfy on the cougar. I should stop this though. Grip should be the same with all my guns right?
"Gun control means being able to hit your target. If I have a 'hot button' issue, this is definitely it. Don't even think about taking my guns. My rights are not negotiable, and I am totally unwilling to compromise when it comes to the Second Amendment."
-Michael Badnarik
Johick05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 54775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johick05 View Post
Grip should be the same with all my guns right?
I think it would be difficult to do with every weapon being different.
Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:54 AM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 60509
I was always taught (and in turn taught others when I was an NRA instructor) that your trigger hand is the most important. Your support hand can do pretty much anything you want, as long as it is comfortable and does its job, support. For most this is your tradition two handed grip, but modifying this to suit your personal needs and each individual firearm is perfectly ok. In other words, focus on the shooting hand, and do what feels right with the support hand... then adjust from them if needed.
pjcforpres2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:05 AM   #8
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 53827
Hmm... I tried that grip a few times, but it seemed that inconsistent pressure from your index finger on the guard causes unwanted 'pulls' and accuracy problems
Old 07-23-2011, 01:08 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 998
Here is a good article on grip technique:

http://www.theshootingschool.org/art...ombat_Grip.pdf

I have to strongly disagree that the support hand isn't important. It's critical to controlling the weapon and tracking the sights. I think you'll find the finger on the triggerguard works fine for shooting casually, but as you try to increase your shooting speed and/or work on more defensive shooting you'll find the extra tension will cause the sights to track poorly. There are a few pros that still use that method. Ultimately it's what works for you. I'm still making changes to my grip and experimenting with different things so there really is no right or wrong way. I would look at it more like what works and what doesn't. I think I remember Matt Mink shooting with his finger on the trigger guard.
nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:42 AM   #10
XDTalk Member

Member #: 60509
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing View Post
Here is a good article on grip technique:

http://www.theshootingschool.org/art...ombat_Grip.pdf

I have to strongly disagree that the support hand isn't important. It's critical to controlling the weapon and tracking the sights. I think you'll find the finger on the triggerguard works fine for shooting casually, but as you try to increase your shooting speed and/or work on more defensive shooting you'll find the extra tension will cause the sights to track poorly. There are a few pros that still use that method. Ultimately it's what works for you. I'm still making changes to my grip and experimenting with different things so there really is no right or wrong way. I would look at it more like what works and what doesn't. I think I remember Matt Mink shooting with his finger on the trigger guard.
I didn't say it wasn't important, I simply pointed out your shooting hand is much more important, and modifying the support hand as needed isn't that big of a deal as long as it is comfortable and does the job, support. I also said adjust as needed, or in other words if a grip hurts your shooting, then change it.

I have seen first hand how big of a difference changing the support hand grip to something different than "the norm" can make for many shooters. I have seen unusual grip techniques, specifically with the support hand, allow for much improved shooting... for example, a very petite woman to shoot a .50 cal DE rapid fire with more accuracy than anyone else could at an NRA trainer workshop, and there were several state pistol champs at this event. I have also seen abnormal support hand techniques take very inconsistent shooters and make a world of difference.

Just because something isn't the "norm" doesn't mean it is bad. Accurate, quick shooting has a lot to do with comfort. If you have to keep readjusting your support hand and think about what you are doing because it is unnatural and uncomfortable, it is going to hurt your shooting. If the OP feels better with this grip (and from the sounds of it he does, and is shooting better using it) then there is nothing wrong with it. Consistency is much more vital, comfort is much more vital, good shooting hand technique is much more important, than your support hand gripping the firearm a set way (especially if that set way is uncomfortable, hurts your accuracy, and requires you to over think and over adjust to maintain that grip).
pjcforpres2020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » The Classroom

grip

Search tags for this page
brian enos
brian enos grip
shooting thumbs forward grip
thumb forward grip
thumbs forward

thumbs forward grip

thumbs forward grip doesn't work
thumbs forward grip pistol
thumbs forward grip technique
thumbs forward grip vs
thumbs forward handgun grip
thumbs forward pistol grip
thumbs forward shooting grip
two thumbs forward grip
two thumbs forward grip part 3
xd thumb forward grip
Click on a term to search for related topics.