• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Right handed, left eye dominant.. how to shoot?

This is a discussion on Right handed, left eye dominant.. how to shoot? within the The Classroom forums, part of the Use and Training category; I am right handed, but my left eye is dominant. Should I shoot with my left or right eye closed? I'm used to shooting with ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » The Classroom » Right handed, left eye dominant.. how to shoot?

Old 10-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 49740
Exclamation Right handed, left eye dominant.. how to shoot?

I am right handed, but my left eye is dominant. Should I shoot with my left or right eye closed? I'm used to shooting with my left eye closed, but I just noticed earlier that I can see the target much better if I closed my right eye and aim through my left eye.

I'm a newbie at shooting, by the way. I shot a gun for the first time 2 months ago at 30 years old.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
XDTalk 20K Member

Member #: 22547
Welcome to our sport and forum! So you are pretty sure you are cross-dominant... take a quick read of this article just to be sure:
How to overcome cross-dominance - North Carolina Sportsman

There's a paragraph about mid-article that mentions shooting cross-dominant with a hand gun is pretty easy... just tilt/turn your head slightly to get your dominant eye over the sight. Taking your normal stance, you can also shift the gun's position an inch or so over toward the dominant eye.

Alternatively, you can also practice to train your non-dominant eye for use. Just place a piece of tape, a bandage or patch over your shooting glasses' dominant eye lens... forcing yourself to use the "weak" eye.

Unless you have tried every alternative with no success, avoid closing that one eye... it is fatiguing and you lose peripheral vision; you are much better off learning position for cross dominant use, or training the weaker eye.

"The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions."
- Daniel Webster, statesman and senator (1782-1852)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm."
- James Madison, Federalist No. 10
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic."
- Unknown

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
NRA Life Member 153120629
jmichna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 49205
You can train your weak eye to be stronger. that's what I did. I was right eye dominate, but shoot left handed. Now I'm left eye dominate, left handed shooter.
PHATSPEED7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
XDTalk Member

Member #: 49752
If you focus, you can train yourself to switch dominance on command.

It'll be awkward at first, but eventually you'll get used to it.
AmJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 35632
I am the same, and shoot with both eyes opened, but tend to lean my head in to align my left eye with the sights. It is my rifle shooting that is the most difficult, handguns not so much.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 41710
Go gangsta' style:

Old 10-26-2010, 07:31 AM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 30682
Search through old posts, this topic has been around many times before. I have found that not extending my arms all the way and pulling down on my left elbow makes the sights line up just right.
thetravlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:50 AM   #8
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 46422
Shoot with both eyes open.
Mudinyeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 33269
I'm right handed, left eye dominant too. I close my left eye anyway, feels wierd closing my right eye. I only close it to see through sites then I open and sort off squint to keep site
firing pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 48119
If you work at it you can train yourself to shoot with either eye. I'm left eye dominant too, but can shoot either way. Just take your time and be patience, if you really have a difference between the two eyes ,i could see the favoring toward the eye with which you can see better.

We defend our President with guns We defend our Congressmen with guns We defend our Governors with guns We defend banks with guns We defend our courts with guns,We defend our children with a sign that says THIS IS A GUN FREE ZONE and then call someone with a gun if there's an emergency!
stuz92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » The Classroom

Search tags for this page
how to shoot right handed left eye dominant

left eye dominant

left eye dominant right handed

left eye dominant right handed shooting

left eye dominant shooting

right hand left eye dominant shooting
right hand shooter left eye dominant
right handed but left eye dominant
right handed left eye dominant

right handed left eye dominant shooting

right handed shooter left eye dominant
shoot right handed left eye dominant
shooting left eye dominant
shooting left eye dominant right handed

shooting right handed left eye dominant

Click on a term to search for related topics.