• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

new gun to improve XD skills

This is a discussion on new gun to improve XD skills within the The Classroom forums, part of the Use and Training category; I got a new gun the other day. I bought it for it's own sake, but soon realized that it is very good for helping ...

Old 05-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 44350
new gun to improve XD skills

I got a new gun the other day. I bought it for it's own sake, but soon realized that it is very good for helping me with my XD skills.

It's a HW 40 PCA - a single stroke pneumatic .177 air pistol. Here is is next to my XD40SC.

The grip and grip angle are pretty close to the XD's - the XD is a bit longer front to back, but not by much. Here the XD is sitting on top of the HW:

The HW comes with truglo sights, so if you shoot with fiber optics or tritium sights you'll feel right at home.

So, here's what I do. I have a pellet range set up indoors. I load the XD with snap caps, as I would for a dry fire session. I load and fire the HW first. Each time I have a great shot, I then pick up the XD and do a dry fire. It is actually surprising to me how the back-to-back experience really tells me when I'm doing something wrong with the XD.

I don't know if this will turn out to be a sound training regimen or not, but since I'm going to be shooting the HW anyway, why not add the XD into the mix? I bought the HW for general in-home accuracy practice (more for .22lr bullseye pistol than tactical shooting), not to mimic the XD in any way. I think it will pay off.

Regardless, being able to run 100 shots a day through a gun can't be a bad thing. I only get to the range once a week at best. The HW has .20" CTC accuracy - enough to shoot a 10 every time if I do my part.
rogerL is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 45826
Quote:
I have a pellet range set up indoors.
Planning on the same here. I think a few thousand rounds (or more!) a year on "weather discouraging" days can't be anything but a good idea. Even if it's not large caliber practice.

Quote:
Regardless, being able to run 100 shots a day through a gun can't be a bad thing.
I'm thinking "Yup!"
The truth exists independent of our belief in it. We do not determine what the truth is, or is not. We only choose to accept the truth or reject it. There are no "truths for you" or "truths for me", independent of each other. Only truths that you and I accept or reject.
whalebluePRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 43432
Have been considering either a "semi-automatic" air pistol of some type or a 22lr pistol (Walther P22 or Buckmark - most likely the Buckmark)..... for cheap practice. The airgun would allow backyard, but not sure how many are all that good.

Good luck with your sessions!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28602
How much did you pick that gun up for as I have been looking into getting a new pellet gun myself as I get bored ALOT and some days its just to damned hot outside to go work on the car to kill time and I cant always afford to go to the range like I would like to so I thought hell this has gotta be the next best thing you know?
Old 06-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 45923
practice makes perfect

I have a friend that has 2 glock 22 lr conversions and they are awsome but i haven't seen them for the xd yet. My most cost prohibitive part of shooting is ammo prices and I usually tell him to bring the conversions and ill bring the ammo -- it works.
kd7vdb is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » The Classroom

Search tags for this page

backyard air pistol range

gun xd
how to improve xd
hw 40
hw 40 pca
hw 40 pca and forum
hw40

pca pistol

pneumatic air pistol

single stroke pneumatic pellet pistol
truglo home defense fiber optic

weihrauch hw-40 pca

weihrauch hw40
what to improve your xd pistol with

xd air pistol

xds truglo sights
Click on a term to search for related topics.