• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Right Handed & Left Eye Dominate

This is a discussion on Right Handed & Left Eye Dominate within the The Classroom forums, part of the Use and Training category; I am right handed but left eye dominate, this makes it a little difficult(or atleast in my opinion) to aim correctly. Does anyone have any ...

Old 03-20-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 44609
Right Handed & Left Eye Dominate

I am right handed but left eye dominate, this makes it a little difficult(or atleast in my opinion) to aim correctly. Does anyone have any hints, tips, or tricks to help me out?
Old 03-20-2010, 03:49 AM   #2
Official Site Vendor

Member #: 14657
I have the same issue..shooting pistols for me was not really a problem.However when I wanted an AR I went with Stag because they make an upper with a Left hand ejection port and keeps the brass from flying across your face..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Gun-Works.com is wholly owned subsidiary of Tennessee Holster Company, LLC
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

-

-

-
(Gun Belts, Money Belts, embossed Belts)
-
Houseboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 35373
I have the same problem, but it only sucks when i use scopes i keep both eyes open. I had to train myself to see with my right while having my left one open
Old 03-22-2010, 03:37 AM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 44609
I was in the army and was trained to shoot a rifle with cco's both eyed, and i have no prob shooting scopes right eyed, but it just seems different with a pistol. I guess I'm just screwin myself up with it, but still any tips hints or tricks would be helpful to try out.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
XDTalk Member

Member #: 34339
shoot left handed. i have the same issue and decided to try shooting lefty. turns out shoulda started that way. at a minimum, i feel confident using either hand.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 42742
I shoot right handed, it feels very akward left handed for me. Tried and Tried. What helps me is I turn my head slightly to the right, which pushes the left eye over to the right just a bit, and that has really improved on my ability to pull a sight picture from the draw. I keep both eyes open as well.
cdwilliams05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgcohardcore View Post
shoot left handed. i have the same issue and decided to try shooting lefty. turns out shoulda started that way. at a minimum, i feel confident using either hand.
It's far easier to learn to shoot cross eye dom than switch hands. I had an eye injury that leaves me seeing close in my left eye & far in my right. I am right handed. With glasses, no problem, w/o, I can NOT see the sights. All you have to do is roll your head slightly to the right & the sights pop right into focus. I have no problem transitioning to this w/o glasses, my right eye can't see & my left can. Accuracy is not diminished & speed is not lost either.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 2122
You can strengthen your right eye and train it to become dominant. When you are shooting rifles put nontransparent scotch tape over the left lens of your shooting glasses so that it forces you to use your right eye but you keep your left eye open. Do this for a few months. You should find your right becoming dominant if you shoot regularly. You can also smear vaseline over the left lens.

I know that you can change eye dominance because I used to run a specialized learning program for high school students and eye dominance was one thing that we worked with..in particular we worked with training the weak eye to work as much as the dominant eye. This helps students read longer wtihout becoming fatigued. Anyway.. best of luck.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 45090
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigMe View Post
You can strengthen your right eye and train it to become dominant. When you are shooting rifles put nontransparent scotch tape over the left lens of your shooting glasses so that it forces you to use your right eye but you keep your left eye open. Do this for a few months. You should find your right becoming dominant if you shoot regularly. You can also smear vaseline over the left lens.

I know that you can change eye dominance because I used to run a specialized learning program for high school students and eye dominance was one thing that we worked with..in particular we worked with training the weak eye to work as much as the dominant eye. This helps students read longer wtihout becoming fatigued. Anyway.. best of luck.

brad

Great to know! I too am cross dominant. Thanks!

Previous:
Glock 36
S&W 6906
Smoke Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
XDTalk Member

Member #: 42677
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigMe View Post

brad
Timely thread...same boat here! I'm cross dominate as well. My problem is that it's hard for me to try to close my left eye and keep my right eye fully open to shoot with. It tends to want to close with my left eye...weird, I know...but nonetheless...Have you heard of other people with this issue? Does this training help out?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Member:
&
G.Rick is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » The Classroom

aiming, left eye dominance

Search tags for this page
aim with left or right eye
can right handed people aim with their left eye
how to aim when the left eye is diminate, but i am right handed
how to become left eye dominant

how to become right eye dominant

how to shoot right handed left eye dominant

left eye dominance meaning
left eye dominant but right handed

left eye dominant meaning

left eye dominant right handed
right handed left eye dominant

shooting tips for left eye dominant right handed people

what does it mean if i'm right handed but left eye dominant
what does it mean if your left eye is dominant

what does it mean to be left eye dominant

what does it mean to be left eye dominant and right handed

Click on a term to search for related topics.