• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Ooops, I just freaked the girlfriend out with my gun.

This is a discussion on Ooops, I just freaked the girlfriend out with my gun. within the CCW and Open Carry Talk forums, part of the Use and Training category; Originally Posted by CrAz3D The first two things I noticed: 1) Your avatar. Your finger on the trigger. Poor control? 2) "First initial review..." heh. ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » CCW and Open Carry Talk » Ooops, I just freaked the girlfriend out with my gun.

Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #41
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 18627
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAz3D View Post
The first two things I noticed:

1) Your avatar. Your finger on the trigger. Poor control?
2) "First initial review..." heh. First initial? Redundant much? Just saying.

Now for a response to the post: just talk to her about reasons for carrying inside

What did you have to go through to convince XDtalk to hire you as a grammar moderator? That has always been a dream job of mine...

Lighten up there buddy.
Remove Ads
Old 01-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #42
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 23025
i was sorta in the same place as you a bout a year ago. i bought my xd9sc and didnt tell anyone! then i just randomly had a gun and she was freaking out but then i explained to her that i want to protect myself and i go to ALOT of places that are not secure at all, and i also go to places wher snakes and other things that could be very deadly are so i bought a gun. she was kinda ok but didnt want it in the house or even near her, so after two months i went and bought a p22, she liked how small it was and then she went to the range with me and bam she was ok with it. however i then bought a pt111 and she freaked out saying why do you need two guns let alone three? i said well many reasons, one is my carry piece the other is a pplinker and the other might be for you. well now i have had 5 guns and she doesnt care at all she actually signed up for her ccw for me for xmas.....pretty cool to me. sorry for the long post!
Old 01-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #43
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 27226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geck045 View Post

For those of you who want to give me grief... before you do, post the details of the situation where you shot-and-killed a bad-guy with your CCW. If you haven't....****.
^

Shouldn't you Philly fans be out rioting somewhere by now?
-JhankG

Barack Obama is NOT MY PRESIDENT.
-afmo

I might have guns, i might not. I can't seem to remember.
- godseviltwin

TUODPIPRIP021309111809

Old 01-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #44
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 26495
Quote:
For those of you who want to give me grief... before you do, post the details of the situation where you shot-and-killed a bad-guy with your CCW. If you haven't....****.

I was in one of the largest shopping malls in the country, wearing my Crossbreed Supertuck, XD .45 ACP Compact, Level 6P Triple Thickness Trauma Plate armor and my ninjutsu boots, you know the kind, the ones that let you run up walls? Yea, those are the ones.

Well anyway, there was this freaky looking weirdo driving a golf cart. I caught a glimpse of a black assault style weapon beneath his seat. Knowing that no mall security anywhere would be able to afford, much less be aloud to carry such a weapon, I realized that this goof was up to no good. I dropped him with one shot, through his upper lip and out the back of his head, destroying his brain stem and killing him instantly.

Long story short, the Mayor and his @$$ virgin nephew awarded me The Medal of Supreme Awesomeness in front of the entire community, all of whom revered me as the greatest Hero that ever lived.

Do I think I'm a hero? Of course not. I just did what had to be done.

-One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it.-
Old 01-02-2009, 06:08 PM   #45
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 30389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
If you had a bazooka strapped across your chest then I see her point...

Unless I'm just in my boxers, my gun is usually on me or next to me. Anyone has a problem with it, they know where my door is.
You should have started with a bazooka. Then you could compromise by stepping down to the pistol.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #46
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 27226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsumei View Post
I was in one of the largest shopping malls in the country, wearing my Crossbreed Supertuck, XD .45 ACP Compact, Level 6P Triple Thickness Trauma Plate armor and my ninjutsu boots, you know the kind, the ones that let you run up walls? Yea, those are the ones.

Well anyway, there was this freaky looking weirdo driving a golf cart. I caught a glimpse of a black assault style weapon beneath his seat. Knowing that no mall security anywhere would be able to afford, much less be aloud to carry such a weapon, I realized that this goof was up to no good. I dropped him with one shot, through his upper lip and out the back of his head, destroying his brain stem and killing him instantly.

Long story short, the Mayor and his @$$ virgin nephew awarded me The Medal of Supreme Awesomeness in front of the entire community, all of whom revered me as the greatest Hero that ever lived.

Do I think I'm a hero? Of course not. I just did what had to be done.

Shouldn't you Philly fans be out rioting somewhere by now?
-JhankG

Barack Obama is NOT MY PRESIDENT.
-afmo

I might have guns, i might not. I can't seem to remember.
- godseviltwin

TUODPIPRIP021309111809

Old 01-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #47
XDTalk Member

Member #: 31739
Quote:
For the OP, it sounds like you're a member of the "Hobby-of-the-Month-Club".

I know the feeling. I can pick up a hobby, and really get into it. Not just the doing of the activity, but throwing myself into learning more aspects of it.

Women don't seem to be as "thing-oriented" as guys are (although they do like gifts!).

When it comes to carrying (I'm going to get some grief for this)... if your GF doesn't accept it, don't do it.

For a gun to be needed....
-- A bunch of things (most of which you have no control over) need to go wrong.
Then, for a gun to do you any good at all....
-- A bunch of things (most of which you have no control over) need to go right.

Statistically (thank goodness) you will never need the gun, and even if you do, it can fill only a narrow band of usefullness.

On the other hand, a happy GF, can fill all sorts of useful purposes! When it comes to "self defense", ask yourself "What am I looking to defend?". You're probably better off protecting your own self-interest, by making her happy.

Wrong forum for your thinking, but here goes:

12 years ago, fell asleep on the couch, wife in beedroom. BG breaking into my sliding glass doors. Got him at gunpoint on the ground, wife calling police. Unknown to me, BG had a screwdriver, and as I approached to see if he had any weapons, he lunged at me. Shot dead. Had I not had a weapon on me, BG would have been on top of me before I could have got to one.

Now, how 'bout you **** ??
Old 01-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #48
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 31617
Here's the cool factor.

First, your GF at least had the communication skills necessary to make you aware of her reaction. Second, she knew that she needed a little time to get her head around what had happened so that she could take the "emotional response" out of it and come to some kind of explanation as to why she felt that way. Third, you can openly recognize a flaw in your own personality enough to actually do something about it.

Nobody here can tell you what to/not to do. Period. All we can do is speak from our own personal experiences. That you have asked for our experiences shows wisdom on your part...a little belated, but still recognized.

My decision to purchase firearms did not come lightly. I have friends who served in military capacity and were considered to be "experts" at what they did. That's all I can say.

I can still remember one of them telling me years ago as I related my desire to get back into "shooting". He told me that, as an adult with a wife and child, I needed to tread VERY carefully in this area. That firearm ownership (really "weapon ownership") is not only a right, but a privilege. That there is an unspoken understanding, duty and responsibility in gun ownership that goes WAY beyond "hobby shooting". He told me that if that's all I wanted a gun for, then stick to BB guns and pellet pistols.

I was advised by many different people that before I made the decision to purchase any "weapon" to ask myself the question, "If I HAD to, could I pull the trigger on another human being?"

And unless the answer is a very grave, sincere and resolute "yes", DON'T DO IT. Not even just to have one for "plinking" at the campsite or whatever.

Basically, I had to get VERY real with myself. And I think you do, as well.

Do I have it in me to use deadly force to protect my family and loved ones? Can I pull the trigger if absolutely necessary? Am I ready and willing to get the training needed to make sure I DON'T HAVE TO PULL THE TRIGGER? My answers, after years of contemplation and internal debate, have become decidedly "yes".

Especially considering the fact that there are now over 100 gangs represented in Spokane County; considering the fact that Spokane, WA., Post Falls and Coeur d'Alene, ID. are still apparently one of the largest drug trafficking/manufacturing centers in the country; considering the fact that Spokane has one of the highest occurances of unsolved violent crimes in the country; considering the fact that I am openly and eagerly trying to gain entry into US Department of Homeland Security via Customs and Border Protection..............but, again, these are MY experiences and thoughts that led to my decision (with my wife's approval after many discussions) to become a gun owner.

There is a very real implied responsibility that goes with that firearm, and if you're hesitant at ALL about it, then, statistically, the odds of something going very wrong go WAY up (and I'm not just talking about someone getting hurt with your firearm).

I do not fault your GF for communicating her very real emotions and fears, and don't think in any way that she's attempting to "control" you or your actions. The valid conclusion, IMO, from her conversation is that she just doesn't know how to handle the situation, and doesn't know what steps you're taking to make sure nobody gets hurt (that doesn't have to).

I can only imagine the images that were going through her head...especially after all of the negative press that guns get in this country. I'm pretty sure images of Columbine and the many other school shootings came to her mind...as well as countless reports of children shooting themselves/others after getting a hold of a supposedly "locked-up and secured" firearm.

VALID OR NOT, those kinds of things invoke a very scary emotional response in regards to guns.

The question I have for you is "what are you going to do about it?"

She's given you a piece of her heart by sharing her emotional response to the situation...she's trusting you not to take advantage of it and to SHOW HER the kind of MAN you are.

You have a rare opportunity to earn her trust through this. Take advantage of it.

If I were in the same situation, here's what I would do.

1. I'd thank her again for sharing her thoughts and feelings about the situation. I'd tell her how much I appreciate her ability to communicate, especially about difficult subjects.

2. I'd thank her for putting enough trust in ME to feel comfortable with coming forward.

3. I'd reassure her that I'm not trying to be stupid or irresponsible, and that I fully intend on getting the training necessary to protect anyone from getting hurt due to negligence.

4. I'd ASK HER FOR HER INPUT AND THOUGHTS ABOUT WHAT SHE WOULD LIKE TO SEE!!!! And be fully prepared for answers anywhere from "I trust you; you just freaked me out" to "sell the darn thing right now".

5. THANK HER FOR HER RESPONSE! I'd tell her that I'm trying to do what I feel is best for all parties involved and that more thought is going to be necessary before making a final decision.

6. Regardless of her reaction, I would DEFINITELY inform her that my next steps are to lock the gun up and not wear it/take it out/shoot it until I've had enough time to fully consider what she has said and make that decision accordingly.

7. I would then take her out for dinner and spend some time with her, and give the "hobby" mentality a break for a good while (at least 2-3 weeks, if not a month).

8. During that time, I wouldn't even bring the issue up. AT ALL. This should show her that you're serious, that you're not taking this issue lightly, and that you're considering her position.

9. Likely, she'll get more comfortable with the idea that there's a gun in the house as long as its not being "flaunted", and the more comfortable with the idea she is, the more curious she will become. Likely as not, SHE will be the one to make the next move.

In the end, ultimately, I think you need to have a heart-to-heart with yourself. Can you pull the trigger if forced to?

If you can't...then I'd reconsider your purchase.

A quote from one of the best epic movies of all time applies...

"You are quite gifted with a blade, my lady"
"The women of this country learned long ago that not knowing how to use a sword doesn't mean you can't die by one" (LotR)

After all...if you decide you can't pull the trigger it doesn't mean a potential assailant will spare you or your GF with your own gun.

Long post...but hopefully it helps.
Nerf Dart Tag (for me and my boy)
Various and multiple edged weapons of ancient design
Wife
Kid
Bearded Dragon - "Sparky"

Si hoc legere scis eruditonius habes.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #49
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28938
I read the first few posts.
good luck with this.
Your not gonna find alot of sympathy from me about your g/f opinion. I have had my pistol on all day. My wife has told me on a couple occations, to "take that f--ing gun off before you get in bed."
She questioned me a few times why I started carrying and why I carry around the house or even just checking the mail. Just point out the occational home invasion story (especially close to home), point out the occational story of dogs attacking people.
Dont try to overwhelm her at once, just a consistant "Hey Honey, did you see this story?" or something along that lines.
If she isn't comfortable with you wearing your firearm around the house, just start tucking in the cushion next to you.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #50
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 14665
Wait wait wait.. Ya'll are responding to a GECKO45?

I need to get the popcorn. This is going to get really good.

Please don't feed the troll.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » CCW and Open Carry Talk

Search tags for this page
ccw and new gf
getting out of my gun hobby
gf doesnt want me to have a gun

girlfriend doesn't like me carrying

girlfriend doesn't want guns in house

girlfriend doesnr like me carrying
girlfriend doesnt want carry gun

girlfriend found my gun

girlfriend wants to buy a gun

girlfriend's family doesn't like me carrying guns

i want a gf who likes guns

i want a girlfriend that likes guns
mt girlfriend doesn't like guns

my girlfriend doesnt like guns

my girlfriend sold my guns

wife doesnt like guns

Click on a term to search for related topics.