• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Ooops, I just freaked the girlfriend out with my gun.

This is a discussion on Ooops, I just freaked the girlfriend out with my gun. within the CCW and Open Carry Talk forums, part of the Use and Training category; Originally Posted by Destructo You can carry to the movie theatre? We can't carry into anywhere that charges admission in NC. Which is a ridiculous ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » CCW and Open Carry Talk » Ooops, I just freaked the girlfriend out with my gun.

Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #31
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 18627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo View Post
You can carry to the movie theatre? We can't carry into anywhere that charges admission in NC.

Which is a ridiculous law. I carry to the movies every time I go (concealed of course). If someone tries to hurt me or my wife, I am willing to pay the price of breaking the law, but I am not willing to pay with my life. Sounds extreme, but come on, walking out of the movies in the dark is the perfect place for criminals to catch someone off guard. I love in NC as well.
Remove Ads
Old 01-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #32
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 14335
Seems to me she just wants you to take it a little slower (she knows you better than we do), and is supportive of you going to the range and taking handgun classes.

Spending hours watching people shoot guns on YouTube and reading discussion boards is not a measure of how much you support gun rights or your patriotism. Not everybody that believes in such things has to wear it on their sleeve.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #33
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 23746
The first two things I noticed:

1) Your avatar. Your finger on the trigger. Poor control?
2) "First initial review..." heh. First initial? Redundant much? Just saying.

Now for a response to the post: just talk to her about reasons for carrying inside
Old 01-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #34
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 27226
Well, since I seem to be the only single guy here to post, I'll throw in my 2 cents. First off, leaving a woman for a gun is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. Now, this probably sounds like what the others were trying to say, but my advice would be to have a serious sit down with her. Explain to her your intentions with weapons and let her know how careful you intend to be and that you're not some whack job, you're her boyfriend. Ask her to trust your judgment and that you only intend to protect her's and your life's. Let her know that trust is the foundation of a relationship, and that you need her's right now. Keep strong eye contact with her when you speak. I took this route with my ex girlfriend and she became acceptant of me carrying and buying firearms.

Shouldn't you Philly fans be out rioting somewhere by now?
-JhankG

Barack Obama is NOT MY PRESIDENT.
-afmo

I might have guns, i might not. I can't seem to remember.
- godseviltwin

TUODPIPRIP021309111809

Last edited by .45XDTac; 01-02-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #35
XDTalk Member

Member #: 30845
I bought my first gun when I was single, so the guns have been around long before any of the girls.

For some reason with every girl I've ever dated there's been an instance of "show me what's in your wallet and I'll show you mine". Everybody laughs about the crappy drivers license pic, the credit card with the numbers worn off it and the store rewards card you nearly broke in two trying to open a door with.

And then they get to the CHP. Presenting that little piece of paper is a lot less intimidating to them than you just coming out and saying, "I own guns and carry them regularly." Usually seeing the card is immediately followed by, "You have a gun!? Is it on you right now!!?" Whether or not this is negative, of course, depends on the girl.

You may wind up having to take her home. You may wind up having to take her to the range. She may just want you to tell her the story of what made you decide to carry. But I definitely think getting this issue out in the open as soon as is reasonable when you find yourself interested in someone new.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #36
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 21927
"Uh, WTF are you doing?"

"What? I'm just carrying it seeing how it feels and stuff"

"Umm yeah, im awake now and completely F'en freaked out"

I would say that was the biggest issue. She probably sh!t her panties to wake up to your new shiny evil accessory.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #37
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 31917
Personally, I'd listen to everything she had to say without responding once and then once she was done and she'd gotten it all out, I'd counter with every good reason for doing what you want to do. If she still persists, say, "well, I'm sorry you feel that way but, this is very important to me".

If that doesn't do it.... I'd go and do it anyway. It's no more disrespectful for you to do what you want to when she won't listen to reason AND, if you let her rule over everything in your own life then, how will you sleep well at night? LOL

I think we've become too PC these days. Men are no longer men and women are no longer women. Now, we've got metrosexual guys wearing purses and claiming that they're straight. Men, in general, have become wussified. I refuse to become TOO sensitive. Some things just are. You can't take my guns, my motorcycles and tell me to get in touch with everybody else's feelings and that I'm not allowed to have my own damned feelings. LOL

Anyway, sorry for the rant.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #38
XDTalk Member

Member #: 31739
My wife has a sister that is single.....

I carry whenever I'm awake. Wife does not even flench. She does not consider it a hobby, and neither do I. I am the man of the house, the husband to my wife, and daddy to my daughter. These titles come with a responsibility to protect. I am who they look to to make the world as safe as possible from outside threats. If that means i have to carry a weapon, and have a deformed hip, then that's what I'll do. I am the last line of defense, and I'll take every opportunity afforded to me to protect myself and my family.

I dont think you did anything wrong. If you feel as most of us do, that responsibility for the safety of yourself and loved ones lay upon your shoulders, and not the police (who only take the report after you've been robbed or raped) then you have done nothing wrong. Hate to be blunt here, but either she gets it, or comes to get it, or I would look for someone who feels that taking responsibility for your own safety is important. Possibly try going slower, get some good training (SWAT training is not a bad thing either) and see if she comes around. If not, move on.

It is better that she learn now, so she does not learn "Tragically" later.

Good luck sir.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #39
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 27226
Quote:
Originally Posted by DongoNeedFood View Post
My wife has a sister that is single...
Help a brotha out?

Shouldn't you Philly fans be out rioting somewhere by now?
-JhankG

Barack Obama is NOT MY PRESIDENT.
-afmo

I might have guns, i might not. I can't seem to remember.
- godseviltwin

TUODPIPRIP021309111809

Old 01-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #40
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 31917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geck045 View Post
When it comes to carrying (I'm going to get some grief for this)... if your GF doesn't accept it, don't do it.
Heheh, ok. I'll go first.

I don't know this man's relationship and, I won't pretend to know so, I will talk in general and not necessarily about HIS situation.

If the girlfriend has the ability to emasculate you BEFORE you're married, after you're married, you won't be able to get lunch money!

If that's YOUR comfort zone then, don't do it, if it's not your comfort zone the, you'd better be able to not only stand up for your own self but, you'd better be able to make decisions where your whole family's safety and well being in charge are concerned.

In other words, grow a pair and tell her how it's going to be. If she doesn't accept it then, that's too bad but, you'll have saved yourself a whole lot of pain and money down the road.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » CCW and Open Carry Talk

Search tags for this page
ccw and new gf
getting out of my gun hobby
gf doesnt want me to have a gun

girlfriend doesn't like me carrying

girlfriend doesn't want guns in house

girlfriend doesnr like me carrying
girlfriend doesnt want carry gun

girlfriend found my gun

girlfriend wants to buy a gun

girlfriend's family doesn't like me carrying guns

i want a gf who likes guns

i want a girlfriend that likes guns
mt girlfriend doesn't like guns

my girlfriend doesnt like guns

my girlfriend sold my guns

wife doesnt like guns

Click on a term to search for related topics.