• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Ooops, I just freaked the girlfriend out with my gun.

This is a discussion on Ooops, I just freaked the girlfriend out with my gun. within the CCW and Open Carry Talk forums, part of the Use and Training category; When i first got my CCW my fiancee was a little freaked out by the fact that i had a gun on me. She also ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » CCW and Open Carry Talk » Ooops, I just freaked the girlfriend out with my gun.

Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #21
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 23515
When i first got my CCW my fiancee was a little freaked out by the fact that i had a gun on me. She also didnt like the fact that i always had a firearm near or on me in my house. She wasnt even into shooting. I took her to the range one day and she didnt like it or see anything fun in going. This all changed a Christmas when a drug deal went bad a few buildings over a shots started ringing out. Now she has gone to the range with me several times, is starting to shoot better, and is going to take her CCW class.

Even before the incident she started to calm down about carrying, I think that it will just take some time for her to get used to the fact. I told her that i am not ging to be a victim and i am not going to let her be one either, and that she wasnt going to change me.

Guns...what guns...
Remove Ads
Old 01-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #22
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 30907
I understand where you're at. My wife is further along than your gf, but I tend to go hog-wild over anything new in my life, and burn her out on the subject.

I'm trying to take the gun thing slowly with her - she's applying for her carry permit, but still tells me to slow down once in a while when I get too gun crazy.

I think you're having to learn balance (just like me) - it's not really about the guns, as much as it is the behavior of being too gung-ho on a particular subject. This one happens to scare her a little because it deals with a deadly weapon, and she's having to warm up to the idea.

Try to take it slowly and she'll probably come along eventually.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #23
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 14665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo View Post
You can carry to the movie theatre? We can't carry into anywhere that charges admission in NC.

God Bless Idaho, I can even carry into a bar if I choose.

There are very, very, very FEW places that I can't legally carry... Open or concealed. Some places have a "no guns" policy, but the worse case scenario for that is you are either asked to leave, or they may charge you with trespass if you refuse. That's it.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #24
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 8105
My wife came around slowly but she came around. She actually laid claim to my (now hers) 1911. She said she likes the idea of bigger holes (bless her heart). Anyway, I carry around the house all the time. I used to cover it up, but lately I open carry inside. My daughter spotted it for the first time the other day and asked me: Are you supposed to wear that? Answer: yes. Is it loaded: Answer: yes...it wouldn't be much good if it wasn't... Isn't that dangerous? Answer: (and I fully admit being cheeky)...of course its dangerous. Its a gun...its supposed to be dangerous...

Then we sat down and had a serious (as serious as an 8 year old can be) talk about how it was my responsibility to take care of the family including people who might break in and try to hurt us....

And I also admit I got the dangerous line from a website talking about the Mosin-Nagant safety...
Old 01-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #25
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 31460
my wife and I took the ccw class together, shot at the range together, bought each our xd9sc together, and cc together.

either educate for girlfriend or dump her.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #26
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 29363
my gf is more consumed than i am, and she thinks it's "hot" whenever i OC...so maybe get one like that? lol.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #27
XDTalk Member

Member #: 27489
I have the best wife in the whole world. She does'nt even care that I have one of my guns on me at all times. She knows that I am extremely careful and it makes her feel safe. I guess If walking around at home with a gun on my side makes crazy, then I guess I am crazy like a fox. Always be prepared.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #28
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 12715
Quote:
Originally Posted by bama View Post
Long answer: You need to get comfortable with the concept of freedom and personal responsibility. You are responsible for your own safety, which includes all sorts of things, including carrying a pistol. If your GF can't go along with that, ditch her.

Short answer: Grow a pair.

Good post.

What exactly is unhealthy or abnormal about wanting to be at least somewhat prepared for the possibility that I will need to defend myself and my wife in our home? If someone gets freaked out at the thought of merely having a 2 lb pistol holstered on their belt inside their house, they need to get a grip, and get a helmet because **** happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Old 01-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #29
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 14867
My wife open carries around the house and farm more than I do; especially if I'm not around.
Good luck.

Yes I am a pirate,
200 Years too late,
The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder, I'm an over 40 victim of fate,
Arriving too late, Arriving too late...

Jimmy Buffet
Old 01-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #30
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 30128
Tell her it's either her or the gun, and you already own the gun!

JK. But, like someone else posted, make sure she understands carrying a gun is not a hobby, but a lifestyle necessary in today's world. (having 10-20 guns, now that's a hobby) It took me a long time to convince my wife that the economy was going in the crapper. I did research on THAT, and shared it with her. Once she understood that, and the effects of that reality, she understood the need for me to carry a gun everywhere. Try that approach. Tell her it's your God given responsibility to be her sheepdog.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » CCW and Open Carry Talk

Search tags for this page
ccw and new gf
gf doesnt like when i carry a firearm
gf doesnt want me to have a gun

girlfriend doesn't like me carrying

girlfriend doesn't want guns in house

girlfriend doesnr like me carrying
girlfriend doesnt want carry gun

girlfriend found my gun

girlfriend wants to buy a gun

girlfriend's family doesn't like me carrying guns

i want a gf who likes guns

i want a girlfriend that likes guns

my girlfriend doesnt like guns

my girlfriend sold my guns

wife doesnt like guns

Click on a term to search for related topics.