• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Ooops, I just freaked the girlfriend out with my gun.

This is a discussion on Ooops, I just freaked the girlfriend out with my gun. within the CCW and Open Carry Talk forums, part of the Use and Training category; People's hesitance around guns are always 100% unreasonable. Of course my opinion is biased, but guns aren't just for practicing, having fun with or collecting. ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » CCW and Open Carry Talk » Ooops, I just freaked the girlfriend out with my gun.

Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #11
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 21171
People's hesitance around guns are always 100% unreasonable. Of course my opinion is biased, but guns aren't just for practicing, having fun with or collecting. You're talking about the very objects that keep us free from an oppressive government and free from criminals. It may sound extreme, but it is by all means true. Hang around here enough and you'll see at least half of us don't just love guns, but we deeply love what they represent. Approximately 1.5 million people are the victims of violent crimes every year. Less than 1%, but odds I still don't enjoy. You know what the difference is between those 1.5 million and the people on this forum, including you and me? Not a thing. It's good that your girlfriend is somewhat level headed about her reaction, but you should try to educate her about the dangers of society. Some people are happy enough depending on luck for their security. I, and many others on these forums, don't feel that lucky. So we tip the odds in our favor.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 14665
Healthy and normal?

Absolutely yes.

I hope everyone goes "easy" on you with these questions, because they are legitimate and a real concern. However, what you are going to find is that there is a "gun culture." Some people take it to the extreme, some people only own a single firearm.. Doesn't really matter. You CHOSE to use a right that is protected in our country. A right that many countries do not have. Don't ever be ashamed or uneasy to use it.

Further, you are going to find that "normal, everyday people" carry firearms every day. Sitting here at work, I'm carrying concealed, and not a single on of my employees or the people walking through the door know. I've carried every single day for 3 years, and no one has noticed.

When I leave work, I will carry all the way home. I will carry in the grocery store. I will carry to the movie theater. And then back home.

I don't live in a compound, I work a fairly "normal" job, and I live a "normal" life. The only difference between me and the next guy is that I CHOOSE to carry.

If you do decide to carry concealed, you will learn to "make" others that carry. Not at first, but it will happen eventually.. And you will be surprised and shocked at how many people DO carry. Normal, everyday people.

As far as the girlfriend.. Well, you're going to need to introduce things to her slowly. It won't happen over night, and she may never become entirely comfortable with it.. But, just ask her to understand that you are exercising certain rights.. and you would NEVER ask her to give up rights she uses every day, and she needs to understand that she cannot ask the same of you.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #13
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 21227
Ooops, I just freaked the girlfriend out with my gun.

Things could have been worse you could have been married

Pete V
Old 01-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #14
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 10158
The wife was looking for the cell phone and saw the pistol in the center console. Is it loaded? Yes, and I open the glove box to point out more ammo. I don't even think about it much anymore. She was a little freaked. We talked about the couple of times I had wished I was armed.

I have tried to get her to the range with no luck. Maybe someday?

I almost told that when we bought the new car I was CC. I thought better of it.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #15
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 26495
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWind View Post
"Normal people, do not carry guns around their house. They also dont spend hours at a time online watching people shoot their guns off, even if your just "learning" from watching them You can only learn by actually going to the range and shooting yourself and get training. Carrying a gun in our home is way beyond my comfort zone, let alone even taking out to excersise your "patriotic freedom" as a US citizen"

Well, I never claimed to be "normal"

Nevada CCW License holder.

My XD .45 Compact is loaded and in its holster, on my hip and has been since I woke up this morning. I left the house for about an hour and a half.

Already spent a good 2 hours on this and a few other "gun" websites, and do about every day.

Watching as my children and wife are raped and/or murdered and/or worse is
way beyond my comfort zone.

That is why I exercise my patriotic freedom to bear arms, just about every minute of every day.

-One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it.-

Last edited by Zetsumei; 01-02-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #16
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 27723
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD-Lucky View Post
Healthy and normal?

When I leave work, I will carry all the way home. I will carry in the grocery store. I will carry to the movie theater. And then back home.

You can carry to the movie theatre? We can't carry into anywhere that charges admission in NC.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #17
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 21171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo View Post
You can carry to the movie theatre? We can't carry into anywhere that charges admission in NC.
Concealed is just that, concealed.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #18
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 25948
Common dilemma. My wife is currently comfortable with my "obsessive hobbies" (I can totally relate on that one,) and with me carrying in and out of the house. This wasn't always so. While she has never minded my owning guns and wanting more, she did at one time call me out for always thinking about/talking about/wanting to buy more guns. She has since gotten used to it, and after a few minor incidents we're on the same page. While nothing major has happened, we've had a few "red flags" and scary false alarms that have shifted her discomfort about me CCing in the house to a sense of security, knowing that we can respond quickly to any percieved threat. I'd say you should respect your GF's point of view, but encourage her to respect yours as well. This is how a good relationship works, regardless of the issues. If you can both do this, you'll be fine and your hobbies will be safe. Might even be able to share your love for guns with her and it can help grow your relationship. If she's unwilling to share this mutual respect, and insists on you coming to her side, then there are bigger issues there and maybe it's not meant to be. As for this "unhealthy obsession" that "normal folks don't do," BS!!!! We may be occasionally fanatical in our beliefs, but that doesn't make it an unhealthy obsession. There's nothing wrong with getting excited about your hobbies, or wanting to defend your rights and personal safety. Good luck and keep us posted!
Savage 99 EG .300 Savage
Mossberg 500A 12 ga
Egyptian Maadi MISR S/A

"At long last I have discovered that most shooters are not interested in firearms as tools, but rather as toys. Such people do not acquire their weapons because of what they will do, but rather to gratify the "Christmas morning joy" that we largely left behind in our childhood.
"

-Jeff Cooper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Old 01-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #19
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 14062
i first strapped on my (now sold XD) to see what it felt like, and it felt good, so i started carrying around the house, just to get comfortable with it and carrying a handgun in general, in anticipation of getting my CHL.

I purchased the handgun as i got tired of bringing the shotgun up and down stairs at night. i purchased the shotgun because of a seedy character my BiL brought home one night.

so when i purchased my second handgun i tried to leave it downstairs, so i had one up and one down, plus the shotty upstairs..
wife kept bringing the pistol upstairs, which pissed me off.. so i just started carrying around the house.

the reactions from her mom and brother (who both live with us) as well as her visiting relatives (i have no relatives in texas now). was of mixed feelings of me being a nut and a whack job... until one night two people behind our house started shooting guns in the air, then later that month my neighbor got shot, then a rash of break ins in the area.. etc, etc..

when the neighbor got shot the entire family lightened up, and left me alone (well not that they ever said anything directly to me, just to my wife).

she also used to get on to me about the amount of guns i was purchasing, and how many more i had planned on buying.. i squashed that with the tried and true.. "i work hard for my money and will spend it any damn way i want to, on whatever the hell i want to, if you have a problem with that i'll leave"

now i dont just have that attitude with guns.. no one has ever, or will ever tell me what to do in my own house, or with my own money, period.
i dont tell her she has too many purses (she is the imelda marcos of purses).

"Oh my eyebrows ain't plucked there's a gun in my truck. Oh thank god, I'm still a guy."

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Old 01-02-2009, 03:25 PM   #20
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 22630
My EX GF had a problem with me carrying every min of the day. Hell she came close to outing me in the mall one day. When she gave me a hug and hit it with her hand then proceeded to say loudly "I just hit you (explative) gun". She had issues with me owning an AR and basically took issue with anything gun related I owned. Hence the EX title on her now.

Take it easy and work her slowly into the fact of you carrying. That is if you would like to keep her around. good luck
Fight on you orange and blue
Go! Go! Go!
On to vict'ry, strike up the band
Give 'em hell, Give 'em hell,
Stand up and yell, Hey!
War Eagle, win for Auburn,
Power of Dixie Land!

Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » CCW and Open Carry Talk

Search tags for this page
ccw and new gf
gf doesnt like when i carry a firearm
gf doesnt want me to have a gun

girlfriend doesn't like me carrying

girlfriend doesn't want guns in house

girlfriend doesnr like me carrying
girlfriend doesnt want carry gun

girlfriend found my gun

girlfriend wants to buy a gun

girlfriend's family doesn't like me carrying guns

i want a gf who likes guns

i want a girlfriend that likes guns

my girlfriend doesnt like guns

my girlfriend sold my guns

wife doesnt like guns

Click on a term to search for related topics.