• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Bill aims to honor concealed weapons permits nationwide

This is a discussion on Bill aims to honor concealed weapons permits nationwide within the CCW and Open Carry Talk forums, part of the Use and Training category; WASHINGTON - A bill introduced into Congress this week would force every state to recognize a concealed-weapons permit issued in another state, a move that ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » CCW and Open Carry Talk » Bill aims to honor concealed weapons permits nationwide

Old 04-30-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 24341
Bill aims to honor concealed weapons permits nationwide

WASHINGTON - A bill introduced into Congress this week would force every state to recognize a concealed-weapons permit issued in another state, a move that would make Utah's permit even more of a prize nationwide.
Utah has one of the more easily obtainable permits - an applicant need not even set foot in the state - and the permit is recognized in 32 other states. The Secure Access to Firearms Enhancement Act, dubbed the SAFE Act by supporters, would force the other 17 states to honor the Utah permit or another issued by a carrier's home state.
The bill, introduced this week and co-sponsored by Utah GOP Rep. Chris Cannon, includes the caveat that the permit holder would have to abide by the state's laws on where the firearm can't be carried, such as churches or schools.
Cannon backs the bill because he says the Second Amendment guarantees an individual's right to carry and own a weapon and that right doesn't end at the state line.
"You no more give up that right leaving Utah than you give up your right to freely exercise your faith," Cannon says. "This legislation is an important effort to help make that clear - as a matter of federal law."
As of the end of March, Utah has more than 112,000 valid permits registered, according to the Bureau of Criminal Identification. Of those, about 38,300 have been issued to out-of-state residents.

Utah's concealed-weapons permit has been referred to as a national permit because it can be issued to anyone - even foreign nationals - who passes certification and is not barred by law from obtaining a weapon. Other states have more restrictions on issuing such permits.
Steve Gunn, a board member of the Gun Violence Prevention Center of Utah, says the bill would compromise the general concept of a state's ability to pass laws restricting concealed weapons. Several states, such as California and New Jersey, have a different burden for obtaining a concealed-firearm permit.
"The bill would detract from the ability of a particular state to regulate the carrying of concealed weapons," Gunn says. "I don't see why Utah should be able to dictate to California whether a concealed weapon can be carried in that state."
"It just sounds to me like a really bad idea," Gunn added.
The SAFE Act faces a tough legislative road, however. Previous incarnations have made it as far as a House committee hearing, but never advanced to a full vote. And with Congress controlled by Democrats, the bill may not get a hearing this year.
Larry Pratt, the executive director of the Virginia-based Gun Owners of America, the group pushing the SAFE bill, says the legislation should create some uniformity in the hodgepodge of state laws across the nation.
The bill is similar to the constitutional protections for drivers who have a license issued in one state and who are traveling in another, Pratt says.
"You don't have to take a driver's test when you go from Virginia to D.C.," he says.
tburr@sltrib.com
S&W 642CT
Ruger LCP
Sterling .22 LR
czlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-30-2008, 08:03 AM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 17000
Good stuff....Except Illinois im sure

"One is none, two is one, and three is just a good time." Clint Smith, referring to the number of guns you carry daily.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 25254
And NY, DC, Cali i am sure...but they aren't really part of the United States
Old 04-30-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 24942
How do you go about obtaining a Utah CCL?

500 Rounds a counting
Steve_o113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:40 AM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 22950
As a Texas CHL holder I'd like to see this happen, but I ain't holdin' my breath...

Texas CHL
US Army Veteran '86 - '94
Rossi 351 Snubbie
Ruger P95
S&W M&P 45
SA XD-45 Service
Sig Sauer P220
Winchester Defender 1300
m9fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 25067
This would be great if it happened, but we'll see. My IN permit has me covered for 99% of my travel needs anyay, but itd be cool to see this go through
Savage Mark II bolt action .22LR

Ignorance can be fixed, its called education.......Stupid will get you killed!
cschwanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 18424
Much needed legislation. There is great risk traveling on the basis of the current system. States change their laws and some allow local pre-emption so you either have to become an expert in the laws of countless states, counties, and cities or you don't always know if you are committing a felony. When you cross a state where you have no reciprocity, you are totally reliant on the Federal interstate transport rule. Some states will prosecute you even though they know they will lose in court like Massachusetts.

I support this initiative.

XD .45 Compact -- Ruger SP-101 .357 Mag. -- Keltec P3AT .380
Rock River Arms 20" Varmint A4 AR-15 w/4-16x56mm MilDot
Ruger 10/22 Black Stainless
Mossberg 590 Mariner 12 Ga w/Knoxx SpecOps
Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
Patriot Guard Rider
Iron Butt Association Member

The 60's Can't Die As Long As I Won't Leave Them!!
Life is Good. Life is Great!
Get your Guns Now, Before it's Too Late!
Bree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 25254
i would love to have a CCW for cali and new york since those are the 2 states i frequent. fat chance in hell though.

i signed up for my CCW class and i can ge my utah permit as well. its like $30 more.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #9
XDTalk Member

Member #: 20797
i would love to see this go through seeing as we dont have any concealed carry here(WI). This would force them to allow concealed carry and possibly create a WI permit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

When firearms go, all goes. We need them every hour.
George Washington
whitenoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:40 AM   #10
DRH
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 24541
Location: We reside in Plano Texas and also have ranch property near Stephenville Texas.
You can bet that Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid are eager to let this get to the floor of the House and Senate for a vote...NOT!!!

XD45ACP-4
XD9-4
XD9-SC
Kimber Stainless II
S&W 617-6
Browning A-Bolt .30-06
DPMS AR-15
DPMS AR-10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
DRH is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » CCW and Open Carry Talk

Search tags for this page
ccw permit good nationwide
ccw permit nationwide
concealed carry nationwide permit
concealed weapon permits going nationwide ?
concealed weapons permit nation wide

concealed weapons permit nationwide

congress consealed weapons bill
cwp nationwide
federal nationwide pistol permit
gun permit nationwide

nationwide ccw permit

nationwide concealed weapon permit

nationwide concealed weapons permit

nationwide gun permit

nationwide permit carry
Click on a term to search for related topics.