• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

To carry or Not to carry (CCW)

This is a discussion on To carry or Not to carry (CCW) within the CCW and Open Carry Talk forums, part of the Use and Training category; Bree I think I love you. Maybe I can bring you home to talk some sense into my wife?...

Old 09-29-2007, 12:10 AM   #31
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 18774
Bree I think I love you. Maybe I can bring you home to talk some sense into my wife?
Old 09-29-2007, 08:04 AM   #32
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 5378
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKB3rd View Post
In my state to purchase a handgun legally you need a ccw permit. I originally just wanted one to defend my home with, and since that is the only choice my state gives, i got the ccw permit. Once i had that, i decided i would be pretty pissed at myself if i ever got into a situtation where my life was threatened outside of my home and didn't have protection, so i decided i would probably carry "some of the time." Then i realized that is like wearing a seatbelt only when i was expecting to get into a car crash, so now i carry it all the time if i am not at work (work doesn't let me).
The ccw course i took was very good, and i'd recomend taking one even if your state doesn't require one. Also practice. If you should ever need to use it, it is a big responsibility and you want to make sure you are able to hit what you are aiming at and nothing else.

What state do you live in? I know their are some states that require you to get a pistol permit for each purchase, but I never knew that there was a state that required you to get a concealed weapon permit.
tactical xd 45ACP
jalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:39 AM   #33
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 18424
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWyatt View Post
Bree I think I love you. Maybe I can bring you home to talk some sense into my wife?
LOL! I do so love to be loved! But alas I am such a b*tch. You would most certainly kick me to the curb!

But you don't need to bring me home to her to transmit common sense. A Latina woman once told me something I will never forget. It became the basis for my transition into an armed citizen and increased self reliance. She said,

Quote:
If you act like a doormat, you will be walked on.
Simple words and absolutely completely true. She was a tigress and refused to allow others to bully or abuse her. The amazing thing was that under the tough veneer she was terrified. She had to force herself to appear strong. So many times she wanted to run from confrontation but she stopped herself. She knew that if she capitulated to her fear that she would simply become a tool for the caprice and whim of others.

The only way that you will avoid being a target of abuse, attack, mayhem and all the other bad things is to stand up, get off the floor, and stop being a doormat for others to walk on.

It's easy to be a doormat. It's much harder to stand on your own feet. But you must stop using the floor as support to lie on and start walking on your own two feet. Learn how to live with you in the command seat and not everyone else walking all over you.

To add some more down home wisdom and pure common sense, my grandmother once told me, "Only you can live your life. Nobody can live it for you." All that happens to you, is yours. You are responsible for how your life is lived and nobody else.

So put it all together. The formula is to become self reliant, take control of your situation, and stop being a target for other people's bullsh*t. You only get one shot at life and you deserve the squeeze every drop of fine wine out of your grapes.

CCW is a discipline for self reliance and independent living. It's hard work. You have to study and practice. It's restrictive. You have to change your behavior patterns and live within a fairly strict code. It's not always fun.

But as the great Philosopher Spinoza said, "All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare."

XD .45 Compact -- Ruger SP-101 .357 Mag. -- Keltec P3AT .380
Rock River Arms 20" Varmint A4 AR-15 w/4-16x56mm MilDot
Ruger 10/22 Black Stainless
Mossberg 590 Mariner 12 Ga w/Knoxx SpecOps
Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
Patriot Guard Rider
Iron Butt Association Member

The 60's Can't Die As Long As I Won't Leave Them!!
Life is Good. Life is Great!
Get your Guns Now, Before it's Too Late!
Bree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:57 AM   #34
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 20928
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalley View Post
What state do you live in? I know their are some states that require you to get a pistol permit for each purchase, but I never knew that there was a state that required you to get a concealed weapon permit.

theres a lot of states that you need a concealed permit, you can check on your state at http://www.nra-ila.com and click on gun laws at hte top.
Stag AR-15
lethal93ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:10 PM   #35
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 21036
I thought I read somewhere CT had that strange rule. I guess a "must-issue" state LOL

BTW anyone know if being diagnosed with clinical depression at some point in your life and being on an antidepressant med, could get you turned down for a ccw, even in a shall-issue state? Maybe I am merely being negative because I feel I would be turned down for it based on such discrimination. Yeah I feel like a doormat when the gov't starts stomping around. I am not "suffering" from any condition ( other than some OCD LOL) right now at all, the med I take controls the depression stuff VERY well ( I got relapsed right after Va Tech though and had to have my dose increased- that event really affected me because I was in college when I had my problem originally). Would the SP or whoever be allowed to access private medical records of a family doctor? I never been arrested, and never been in a hospital for anything mental. I don't even like alcohol, never used illicit drugs ( unless inhaling smoke wafting about counts LOL- I hung around some potheads in college), don't even smoke ciggies, never have. I have had ONE traffic ticket period from age 16 to age 35, for not coming to a full 3 second stop at a stop sign ( picky cop!).
Brush-Wolf-Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:16 PM   #36
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 18424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush-Wolf-Lady View Post
I thought I read somewhere CT had that strange rule. I guess a "must-issue" state LOL

BTW anyone know if being diagnosed with clinical depression at some point in your life and being on an antidepressant med, could get you turned down for a ccw, even in a shall-issue state? Maybe I am merely being negative because I feel I would be turned down for it based on such discrimination. Yeah I feel like a doormat when the gov't starts stomping around. I am not "suffering" from any condition ( other than some OCD LOL) right now at all, the med I take controls the depression stuff VERY well ( I got relapsed right after Va Tech though and had to have my dose increased- that event really affected me because I was in college when I had my problem originally). Would the SP or whoever be allowed to access private medical records of a family doctor? I never been arrested, and never been in a hospital for anything mental. I don't even like alcohol, never used illicit drugs ( unless inhaling smoke wafting about counts LOL- I hung around some potheads in college), don't even smoke ciggies, never have. I have had ONE traffic ticket period from age 16 to age 35, for not coming to a full 3 second stop at a stop sign ( picky cop!).
The question is could the condition affect your judgement and increase the chance of an inappropriate use of a firearm and therefore the chance of injury to yourself or others? Unfortunately, it sounds to me like the condition could very well disqualify you especially since your behavior is being controlled by meds right now.

I think that being on behavior altering meds now puts the burden of proof on you even in a permissive state with shall issue rules. A lot depends on what question is asked in your state and exactly how you do or do not answer it. A lot may depend on what your references say.

To be honest with anti-depressant meds needed right now, I would be surprised if they issued an unrestricted permit.

XD .45 Compact -- Ruger SP-101 .357 Mag. -- Keltec P3AT .380
Rock River Arms 20" Varmint A4 AR-15 w/4-16x56mm MilDot
Ruger 10/22 Black Stainless
Mossberg 590 Mariner 12 Ga w/Knoxx SpecOps
Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
Patriot Guard Rider
Iron Butt Association Member

The 60's Can't Die As Long As I Won't Leave Them!!
Life is Good. Life is Great!
Get your Guns Now, Before it's Too Late!
Bree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:51 PM   #37
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 9644
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodMAN View Post
i'm considering whether or not i want to start concealed carrying my XD9 and i'm trying to make an informed decision. so, i thought why not get feedback from my wonderful, fellow XD owners...

Before any of you decided to start carrying,

1. what factors did you take into consideration?
2. why did you start carrying?
3. did something convince you to start?
4. what were some of the resources (info, articles, etc...) you utilized to help make the decision?

Thanks in advance for the replies/advice!
Im in the same boat and am trying to consider everything. Ive actually taken my CCW class a year and a half ago so all I have to do is just go down and pay the fee and get a background check ran. I wanted to become extremely familiar with my CCW pistol, I want to keep a round chambered if it takes a year and a half to get comfortable doing so, so be it, this isnt a race and if it were im winning because im being smart on all sides. One concern I had and still have is CCWing and getting pulled over or coming into unaviodable contact with a LEO. Some LEO's are cool about a CCW if your polite and responsible about carrying, some states dont make you inform the LEO you are carrying but I think it is the right thing to do even if it isnt the law, not only are you putting the LEO at ease but your ruling out any accident.Aas everyone has heard over and over, LEO's are human to and humans make mistakes, accidents happen and I want to avoid that at all costs. I dont want to be a "rights snob" (in certain aspects) Yes, Some may argue about "its my right and the law says I dont have to inform the LEO im CCWing" but what do you have to hide? If its dark, turn on your dome light, keep your hands on the sterring wheel before he gets to your window when he askes for your lic and reg, hand it over WITH YOUR CCW PERMIT Anyways whatever..... Hopfully you get what im saying, I dont want to get in a big debat about it as its my own personal opinion that wont change. I wanted to get a CCW because of the crime rate increase, I watch the local news and it only seems like the safest thing to do to protect myself and family and I beleive in the saying "sometimes you cant walk away from trouble, trouble sometimes finds you" Well if I can legally protect myself with a firearm, Ill take that offer up.

"I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it."

Last edited by dasanii19; 09-29-2007 at 10:04 PM.
dasanii19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:09 PM   #38
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 21036
Bree, the way my state is right now, they are so liberal and rediculous that if the rules stayed the same for the application, but they put in shall-issue so you wouldn't be turned down for merely wanting to defend yourself as a citizen, that I likley couldn't get it if they probed my medical records. Funny is I can buy guns though, I am not suffering from the depression while on meds, and as I stated, I have no criminal record other than that traffic ticket LOL, and never been in any hospital for mental stuff, been before some judge, etc. So if I can buy guns, why couldn't I carry? I mean if I wanted to commit mass murder or whatever, its not like I would follow the law anyway. Also I am not generally some hothead bitch and I know how to conduct myself in public. The most I ever do when mad is stare down someone and tell them they are rude or whatever. Even when I had my depression problems I never fully lost control. I was so cool yesterday I didn't even get mad at the crazy old ladies at the Goodwill store. That place was full of rude self absorbed loonbats yesterday! My mother got more agitated than me for a change.
Brush-Wolf-Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:00 AM   #39
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 20928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush-Wolf-Lady View Post

In PA if you were diagnosed with clinical depression you can not get a CCW.
Stag AR-15
lethal93ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:35 AM   #40
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 21057
why I carry

[quote=doodMAN;723934]i'm considering whether or not i want to start concealed carrying my XD9 and i'm trying to make an informed decision. so, i thought why not get feedback from my wonderful, fellow XD owners...

Before any of you decided to start carrying,

1. what factors did you take into consideration?
2. why did you start carrying?
3. did something convince you to start?
I live in an apartment, looked my building up and saw I have a sex offender living next door to me. I told him I knew what he did and to stay away from my kids. The jerk said quote "who the hell are you - you are no cop " plus he brings his drugie freinds in the building. So next day we both are checking the mail. I dropped my mail and bent over so the idiot could see I was wearing a gun. The walls are thin, I can nail this idiot, from my living room. So I took the classes and I carry 24/7. I can't just stand by and count on the police to keep my small kids safe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » CCW and Open Carry Talk

Search tags for this page
anti depressants and comcealed carry?
can a person on anti depressants get a concealed carry license in colorado

can you carry a firearm while on antidepressants in pa

can you get a ccw if you take antidepressants

can you get a ccw in ohio anti depressants
can you get a ccw while on anti depressants in ohio
can you get a ccw while on antidepressent

ccw permit florida obsessive compulsive disorder

concealed carry antidepressants

concealed weapons permit and prozac pa

ct pistol permit and anti depresents

gun permit antidepressants ct

how hard to get a ccw in louisiana

louisiana ccw permit medical questions
michigan concealed pistol license antidepressants

pennsylvania conceal carry antidepressants

Click on a term to search for related topics.