• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

CCW and your work

This is a discussion on CCW and your work within the CCW and Open Carry Talk forums, part of the Use and Training category; Since I bought my handgun for CCW in the near future, I am faced with some dillemmas about actually carrying it. My work takes me ...

Old 04-29-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 17248
Question CCW and your work

Since I bought my handgun for CCW in the near future, I am faced with some dillemmas about actually carrying it.

My work takes me to places that would place me in more danger than I am in at home. However, I am not certain of the policy my workplace has for carrying weapons while on the job. There isnt anything in the company handbook regarding this and, knowing my boss pretty well, I am afraid to bring up this subject. . . period. Once I ask, he will always suspect.

My job takes me into peoples homes also. This is another area of concern.

Still, I bought the gun for protection. My city isnt the worst in the USA, but our crime rate is rising and I do certainly go into areas where the danger is higher than other areas. Lots of college students here and a lot of drug use and traffic.

What do some of you do in this situation? Did you also have these concerns when you first started carrying?

If you decided to carry anyway, regardless of company policy, what means or method worked best for you?

This is a decision I need to make without hurry and with a lot of thought.
The 2A wasn’t meant to allow public citizens to keep and bear arms. If it had there would have been wording such as 'The right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.' -Ken Konecki

Tally XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-29-2007, 10:40 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 15115
If there is no company policy on this issue I don't see a problem with carrying. Now as for entering other folks houses me being me would let them know that I am armed if it makes them uncomftrable I will disarm or leave if they wish me to do so. Telling them your not coming in really isn't an option if this is your job.

Another option would be to carry concealed and not worry about it. You will find that 99% of people will never notice even if they bump into you on accident.

Hell I Open Carry a lot here in NC and most people don't even notice the 2lb. hunk of steel and polymer hanging off of my right hip.

USPSA-A59201
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:51 PM   #3
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 11664
I'm an I.T. Consultant and run into this daily at work. It's simple, don't ask, don't tell... If someone notices and askes you NOT to carry in there home/work place, then do as your asked. It's that simple.

It's called CONCEALED carry for a reason. Keep it concealed and you don't have a problem.
Kimber Raptor II 1911 (.45 ACP)
Kel-Tec P-3AT (.380 ACP)
Charter Arms "Off Duty" Revolver (.38 Spl)
Ruger 22/45 Mark III (.22 LR)
Smith&Wesson M&P15A 16in AR-15 (.223/5.56 NATO)
BushMaster Carbon-15 (.22 LR)
BushMaster XM15 E2S 20in AR-15 (.223/5.56 NATO)
Stoeger P350 Tactical Pump Shotgun (12 Gauge)
Winchester Black Model98 Canon (10 Gauge)
jeff221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:52 PM   #4
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 17015
tally, what line of work are you in? i also am in a position where i frequently see people in their homes. I'm going to apply for my permit this week and i was wondering about the same thing. i was thinking about just leaving it in the car. the people i see aren't dangerous, but there are times when they live in rough areas.
jtkratzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 13605
I'm not sure I'd tell people I was carrying, I guess it depends on the kind of work you're doing. Unless they're likely to see it (or feel it), I wouldn't tell them.

I work for a university, so I can't legally carry at work.

What sort of dress is required for your job? Can you get away with an untucked shirt?

\\ACB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Quote:
Whenever I imagine hell, it always looks like Austin, Texas. I just can't stand to be around people who refuse to be based in any form of a logical reality. Moscow on the Brazos is a good description. I will admit, it was cool, in the 70s, before half a million people desperately trying to be hip moved there, built giant, urban sprawling neighborhoods, and bought "keep Austin weird" t-shirts.
adambrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:54 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 17039
My Theory Is Out Of Sight Out Of Mind. If Theres No Policy For It Dont Bring It Up. I Wouldnt Recomend Leaving It In The Car.....even Grandma Could Be Dangerous!
Old 04-29-2007, 11:01 PM   #7
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 17248
I wont say exactly what I do because I dont want to totally identify myself here (just being paranoid right now) but I am in service work. I do a service for the public and commercial accounts that require me to enter homes and offices on a very regular basis.

I wear the typical service work uniform, i.e. white button up shirt, green poly pants.

I also have to wear a utility belt with some of my "professions" tools/equipment attached. Belt carry is out of the question and probably so is tucking. Shirt has to stay tucked.

Summer is my real problem as it is very hot here in Florida, but winter is ok. I can wear a light jacket if its cool enough during our two months of cooler weather. Shoulder harness should work ok during those months.

I am probably looking at ankle/leg holster as my only option while on work duty.

Its not the people I see at work or in homes that worry me, but the thugs on the street in some of the areas I go into.
The 2A wasn’t meant to allow public citizens to keep and bear arms. If it had there would have been wording such as 'The right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.' -Ken Konecki

Last edited by Tally XD; 04-29-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Tally XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:02 PM   #8
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 16572
If you make the decision to carry...

Do not tell anybody!!

Do not "discuss" it with anybody who might get back to your work.

Make sure of your legal rights!

In most states, if you have a CCW, you can carry "legally" at work, but you can also be "legally" fired if you violate your company policies concerning firearms. I.E. Even though you may not go to jail for being armed at work, you may lose your job.

It's a trade off. Is it worth your job?

Radio Relay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:03 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 15115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Relay
Do not tell anybody!!

Do not "discuss" it with anybody who might get back to your work.

Make sure of your legal rights!

In most states, if you have a CCW, you can carry "legally" at work, but you can also be "legally" fired if you violate your company policies concerning firearms. I.E. Even though you may not go to jail for being armed at work, you may lose your job.

It's a trade off. Is it worth your job?
he says there are NO policies on the books about carrying so they would have a hard time trying to stick this to him.

USPSA-A59201
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:05 PM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 9494
I don't know the law in FL but here in NY state it is illegal to bring a gun into a private residence without the permission of the homeowner. Might want to look into your laws for that.

And as already stated DON'T bring it up. Just stick to what is written in the company's handbook. If it's not addressed in there, consider it within policy and keep it to yourself.

edit: if you do a lot of bending down and stuff on the job you might want to look into something small to carry. My Keltec P3at hides easily and still gives me .380 stopping power if i ever need to use it. Not exactly the biggest hole you can make in a bad guy but better than nothing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
- NY State Firearms Forum

Last edited by darkvibe; 04-29-2007 at 11:08 PM.
darkvibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » CCW and Open Carry Talk

Search tags for this page
ccw agaisnt company policy

ccw at work

ccw work in homes
should i ccw at work

should i ccw at work even if it is against company policy

Click on a term to search for related topics.