• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

CCW and your work

This is a discussion on CCW and your work within the CCW and Open Carry Talk forums, part of the Use and Training category; I dont want to be fired, but the job can be replaced. I certainly do not want to be ina situation and find myself NEEDING ...

Old 05-01-2007, 10:25 PM   #21
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 17248
I dont want to be fired, but the job can be replaced. I certainly do not want to be ina situation and find myself NEEDING my weapon.

I have decided to go with the "carry and keep quiet" option for now. Its now a matter of getting my CCW and finding a suitable holster that I can live with. Very likely will be ankle carry to begin with.
The 2A wasn’t meant to allow public citizens to keep and bear arms. If it had there would have been wording such as 'The right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.' -Ken Konecki

Tally XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #22
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 17326
I would agree with the conceal and don't tell option. Where I work, firearms are strictly verbotten, and hey, I understand that. Whomever owns the business makes the rules. But as I see it, I am in compliance with the law and I will be take my own safety into my own hands. So, better to be quiet and go about my business.

pax
ant

"Be polite and be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet"

“The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.”
-Col Jeff Cooper
noise626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:36 PM   #23
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 9753
Trying to get your XD comfortable and stable on your ankle is going to be one hell of a challenge. If you are actually successful, let me know. I tried and ended up going with the Maxpedition instead. It is off body, but I can carry it in my workplace without any issues.

I'm looking at an NAA Guardian, a Kel-tec P3AT or a Seecamp for the exact same reason, to supplement my XD. With a good pocket holster, any of those three will dissappear in a front pocket with ease.
Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack
Mojoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:22 AM   #24
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 16572
My experience with ankle carry...

Personally, I don't like it.

It's uncomfortable after awhile, even with a smaller caliber weapon. With a larger caliber weapon it's like having a brick strapped to your ankle. When sitting down, kneeling, or bending over, your pants invariably ride up and expose the gun tip, or even the entire gun. With normally cut jeans, there is also a bulge on the bottom of you leg that looks funny. If you wear boots, some of those problems can be taken care of. However, boots can limit access to the gun.

So far, the best option I've found for CCW that conceals well and pretty much works in all situations, is comfortable enough for long term carry, and also gives quick access to the gun, is an IWB tuckable holster.

Just my two cents.

Radio Relay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:51 AM   #25
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 16572
Pretty much what I've found, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojoski
Trying to get your XD comfortable and stable on your ankle is going to be one hell of a challenge. If you are actually successful, let me know. I tried and ended up going with the Maxpedition instead. It is off body, but I can carry it in my workplace without any issues.

I'm looking at an NAA Guardian, a Kel-tec P3AT or a Seecamp for the exact same reason, to supplement my XD. With a good pocket holster, any of those three will dissappear in a front pocket with ease.
I can't carry concealed at work. However, I refuse to be a sitting duck for some clown who decides an unarmed workplace is an easy kill zone.

To that end, in order to prevent detection, I carry a Beretta 3032 Tomcat .32 auto. It's not small enough for actual pocket carry in a front pocket. It bulges, and is not easy to draw. I do have a wallet holster that works beautifully for walking around, but I don't want to sit on the pistol all day.

However, the little gun is completely hidden in a tuckable IWB holster. It is a large enough caliber to stop a lunatic gunman, or criminal BG. Especially, if I have the advantage of surprise on the S.O.B., who thinks he's just shooting fish in a barrel.

When I'm not at work, I also use an IWB tuckable holster to carry my XD9SC. It prints too badly under a shirt for work, but around town, or at the mall, or Walmat, it's still completely covered.

I also have a little NAA .22lr mini that fits in my watch pocket. That little gun won't stop anyone dead in their tracks (unless I have a real lucky shot), but it will give me the ability to shoot back at a criminal or crazy person with a gun, and hopefully give me enough time to get away.

Radio Relay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:18 AM   #26
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 16519
I think if I worked for someone else and wasn't sure what the opinion was on CCW and there was no company policy, I would likely carry my P25 to work or get a very little .380 or .32, as Radio Relay was talking about. It's a helluva lot better than nothing, but MUCH less likely to ever be seen. I can hide my P25 IWB w/ gym shorts. Very easy to conceal, forget it is there.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:10 PM   #27
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 7943
Kel-Tec P3AT in a pocket holster and call it a day.

Tennessee folks... we'd love to see you at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Tungsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #28
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 13498
Quote:
Where firearms are concerned, even if there is no specific company policy, carrying at work would most likely get your ass fired. I doubt you'd have much of a leg to stand on, if that happened. Whether it's specifcally stated, or not.
If its not in the company policy they can go ahead and fire him, but he'd have a great lawsuit. you cannot be fired for legal activities that do not contradict written policies that you reasonably should have been aware of. don't ask don't tell is fine as long as there are no specific guidelines that the employer has codified. it gets fuzzier if you are a contractor, or a vendor on customer property. Basically if they find out they can ask you not to, but theres no legal or even work related discipline that they can legally do if they don't have it in a written policy manual, and even that won't hold up in court unless they have signed document saying you have read and been notified of the policies.

Make sure you are legal, make sure its concealed, make sure you aren't violating the company's behavior code or handbook, and you are good. Concealed means concealed.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #29
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 71542
yeah in oregon your employer can terminate you for no reason. they can just say they decided to go another direction or they can say nothing at all. you don't have to explain to them why you quit and they don't have to explain to you why you were fired. so this is extra touchy because if you inquire here and the wrong person is uncomfortable with someone who carries a gun then out you go.. my company is pretty good and has no stated policy so I really should have just carried and called it good. but being the rule follower that I am, I asked my supervisor (not the on site one but the actual "in charge" one. and he thanked me for being pro-active and said they had recieved similar inquiries and were working with thier legal team to decide what the company's stance would be but in the mean time do not carry until a final decision is reached.. worst part is I believed that was a legitimate answer, this was about 4 months ago now and I can comfortably translate what I think that message "actually" said. "We do not want to allow employees to carry, however we are also afraid of any negative publicity and/or backlash so we will not officially say you can't we will just leave you stuck in limbo waiting for our official policy that we are hoping we never have a chance to actually finish" long story short I think it really just comes down to if you are legal to carry. and if you're worried about losing your job if you ever have to use your gun while at work.. (which you probably will no matter what thier policy is)
Old 07-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #30
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 57015
The one question you need to answer; is it worth losing your job over?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » CCW and Open Carry Talk

Search tags for this page
ccw agaisnt company policy

ccw at work

ccw work in homes
should i ccw at work

should i ccw at work even if it is against company policy

Click on a term to search for related topics.