• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

U.S. LawShield vs. USCCA Self-Defense Shield

This is a discussion on U.S. LawShield vs. USCCA Self-Defense Shield within the CCW and Open Carry Talk forums, part of the Use and Training category; I am a USCCA Silver Plus member. Here is a letter I sent to a local lawyer. Dear Mr. xxxx, I am a retired grandfather ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » CCW and Open Carry Talk » U.S. LawShield vs. USCCA Self-Defense Shield

Old 08-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #11
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 95322
I am a USCCA Silver Plus member. Here is a letter I sent to a local lawyer.

Dear Mr. xxxx,

I am a retired grandfather of four. As a responsibly armed citizen, I am contacting you on the advice of Tim Schmit of USCCA. I am a Silver Plus member. It is not my plan ever to need your services but Tim suggested that it would be good to have the number of a good criminal law attorney in the unlikely event that I may one day have to use my weapon in self-defense.

1. Do you have a concealed carry permit?
2. How do you feel about defending a citizen that had to fire in self-defense?
3. Do you believe the 2nd Amendment protects our God given right to bear arms?
4. May I file your phone number in my cell phone in case I need your help?

My wife has a WA State permit and mine is a Utah permit (reciprocal in WA). We are both Lifetime members of the Front Sight Firearms Training Center in Pahrump, Nevada. We go to the range locally about once a month. It would be a pleasure to see you at the range some day.

Yours truly,

I HATE insurance. But I have home owners, Car, health, and had life insurance when working (before I retired) etc. I hate it because the only time it is worth it is when something bad happens and who wants that? Anyway, yes, USCCA Shield made sense to me in case I need a lawyer some day to defend me for firing in self-defense.....
tacwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-27-2013, 01:01 AM   #12
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 77494
Quote:
Originally Posted by XD40inTX View Post
I told this story in another thread recently, but let me repeat it here. About a year ago a good friend of mine had to shoot and kill two pit bulls that were attacking him and his wife. Because he had discharged his weapon within 1,000 feet of a residence he was in violation of the TX Criminal Code. He called TLS then 911.

The lawyer arrived before the sheriff's deputy. When the deputy arrived his first inclination was to arrest my friend and let the judge sort everything out in a day or so. The lawyer talked to the deputy for a few minutes. Then the deputy returned my friend's gun, sent him home, and wrote a citation to the owner of the dogs.

My wife and I have been members of TLS since we got our CHLs.
Crap like that is why I am a TLS member
Old 09-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #13
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 47571
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15shot View Post
What are the chances that you really are ever going to need a lawyer for a gun related issue? IMO you are throwing your money away on yearly premiums that odds are you will never need. Wait and spend it on an attorney when he is actually needed. Just sayin.......
The figures I'm about to quote are for TX, okay? But I would guess they're pretty typical for other states. In fact, things in most states are more expensive.

As of Jan 2013 the average legal cost just to get to a Grand Jury hearing in TX is $27,000. If the Grand Jury indicts, there is no upper limit but the cost can easily go over $100,000. Ask Joe Horn, the guy who killed two illegal aliens who were robbing his neighbor. His legal fees were more than $400,000. It bankrupted him.

By comparison, the cost of Texas Law Shield for me and my wife, both of us with CHLs, is $240 a year. At that rate, just getting to a Grand Jury hearing would cost the equivalent of 112.5 years in premiums.

I haven't had an automobile accident since 1957, but I still think auto insurance is a good idea. It comes under the heading of, "It's better to have it and not need it thatn to need it and not have it." I feel the same way about TLS.

Life Member - NRA
Life Member - Texas State Rifle Association
Life Member - Gun Owners of America
XD40inTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 60692
Another option is the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network... check it out.

"Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
–Mark Twain
elliotriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:32 AM   #15
XDTalk Member

Member #: 83420
Quote:
Originally Posted by g40 View Post
Yeah I will pay $130 a year for something that might never happen just like I will carry a gun for some need that may never happen.
I also like the fact that if I never need to use it, the money is going to help others who DO need it for that situation. Much like auto insurance, its an issue of a larger pool of people protecting themselves from something expensive that may likely not occur (or at most occur at an infrequent rate)**

I went with USCCA since it also covers bail-bonds, and expert witness fees (and since I am going to subscribe to the magazine anyway, its like a $47 discount since membership includes the magazine).

ACLDN seems like a good option too, but I got turned off from their Facebook group page (very little conversation is actually allowed, and suffered from over-zealous-moderator syndrome. I just couldn't shake the feeling of what it would feel like having to use these guys when I really needed help)

**full disclosure: I do not get the same satisfaction knowing my auto insurance premiums are used for other peoples accidents
XDAHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:03 AM   #16
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 52037
I can't but I am curious about this question myself.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #17
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 90703
I like Second Call (on paper) better than USCCA - which I am a member: Second Call Defense | Complete Legal Protection For Armed Self Defense

no Texas here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #18
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 58406
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfettero View Post
Most homeowners policies carry liability coverage of $100k-$300k.
I'm not a lawyer but my understanding is that a typical homeowner's policy does not cover damages related to self-defense with a gun.
profmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » CCW and Open Carry Talk

Search tags for this page
is uscca shield a good value?
self defense shield
self defense shield review
texas law shield vs uscca

us law shield review

us law shield reviews

uscca

uscca defense shield review

uscca review

uscca reviews
uscca self defense shield

uscca self defense shield review

Click on a term to search for related topics.