• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

VIDEO 2009 - Deputy Cox threatens to shoot concealed carrier for accidental exposure

This is a discussion on VIDEO 2009 - Deputy Cox threatens to shoot concealed carrier for accidental exposure within the CCW and Open Carry Talk forums, part of the Use and Training category; Originally Posted by shogan191 The driver is definitely in the wrong. Although I would have informed the deputy that I was carrying and licensed before ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » CCW and Open Carry Talk » VIDEO 2009 - Deputy Cox threatens to shoot concealed carrier for accidental exposure

Old 01-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #31
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 23311
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogan191 View Post
The driver is definitely in the wrong. Although I would have informed the deputy that I was carrying and licensed before getting out of the vehicle, he cannot expose his weapon either intentionally or accidentally. That is what he was charged with.
You have no clue what you are talking about.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Up to a point a man's life is shaped by environment, heredity, and movements and changes in the world about him; then there comes a time when it lies within his grasp to shape the clay of his life into the sort of thing he wishes to be. ... Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow
Louis Dearborn L'Amour

You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
Yocan
mirage2521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #32
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 80807
Quote:
Originally Posted by ia9service View Post
Whether he "has to" or not (depending on local laws), standing a few feet from an officer, digging in your pockets and vehicle, all the while having a firearm hidden, is not conductive to a long life. The cop may have overreacted, but can you imagine his surprise during a routine traffic stop to suddenly see a gun right where the "suspect's" hand was? Just like with a large wild animal, better to not startle them!

My personal procedure for a traffic stop, engine off, interior light on (if dark), window down, both hands on the wheel. Advise officer that I have a permit to carry, and that I have a firearm in the vehicle, and ask how he would like to handle it. Some at that point don't care, and just want to know where it is. Others may ask you to step out of the vehicle and separate you and the weapon for their and your own safety.

Remember folks, the most dangerous thing a law officer does is make a traffic stop. They don't know when they pull you over whether you are a grandma in a hurry to get home before dark, or someone that just killed and is making a getaway, and it is a chance they take everyday.

I totally agree, because the officer don't know you or your intent if that where me I would told him and let the officer tell you how he want to handle it. Each officer is different, some don't care so much and some do you don't know so to avoid all this you just tell him or go through what this guy went through.
1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #33
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 8346
Every encounter with an official while I was carrying has started with a verbal exchange that went like this...

Sir, I have a CHL and I am carrying.

Whether that be a traffic stop, game warden on the lake, auto accident, etc. After they ask where it is at and I tell them, I also offer up... Would you like to retrieve it? Had one officer say yes and one game warden say yes. Both times, they were very professional.

Kinda funny story about the game warden on the lake. Called my dad because he was in town. Said he was on the lake with my sister's fiance and his friend. Asked if I wanted them to pick me up at the ramp? I said sure. The friend was on the tube when we got our card pulled for a random life jacket inspection. We had just slowed down and the friend cracked open a beer on the tube. I go through the routine and the game warden says yes... I turn around and flip up my shirt. He pulls it out and puts it under his arm while the inspection continues. We pass and he gives it back.

Low and behold the friend was crapping his pants the entire time! He sank his beer as soon as he saw my gun come out. Didn't know I had a CHL. He was on probation and thouht for sure we were all getting arrested. We laughed pretty hard later. The fiance didn't know I carried until that day either. He was driving the boat.

Always offer the info up front.
FrEaK_aCcIdEnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #34
XDTalk Member

Member #: 58450
All could have been avoided... But the cop was a little over the top.
turbo_jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #35
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 52646
OK, so the deputy lost his cool. I understand that the driver may not have been required to tell the guy, but just the same it would have made both their lives easier. I guarantee that everything that happened would happen again with 9 out of 10 officer (short of the outburst probably). I'd do about the same thing (once this is a concealed carry state...lol). At the point he saw the gun, the deputy had no idea whether the gun was legally or illegally carried.

I've been pulled over while carrying off-duty. First thing, put all windows down, turn the vehicle off, put the keys on the roof of the car, put my hazards on, put my hands on the wheel and face front. The first words out of my mouth were, "I'm an off-duty LEO and I'm currently carrying." No I didnt need to tell him if I didn't want to, but it sure makes me more comfortable knowing that I'm not going to be dragged from my truck at gunpoint if he were to notice my XD-40 Service poking out when I reach for my wallet (which seems likely as it would be directly behind my gun). (And for those who will say that I only said that to get out of a ticket; untrue. I've been pulled over twice while employed LEO and I refuse to mention it unless I'm carrying)

To all critiquing the deputy, give the guy a break. Threat of force to gain compliance is pretty low on the use of force spectrum...especially when one sees a firearm is involved...

SA XD-40 4"
Trijicon HD Night Sights
Streamlight TLR-1
CopNa454Sierra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #36
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 85886
In Florida, accidental exposure used to be a crime, now it is not. When I get pulled over, which seems to happen quite often, I hand over my CCW and license. Only once has it been an issue, he asked me to step out of the car and just leave it on my passenger seat while we talked.

Real cool cop, no ticket just a warning. Previous Army, like me. Treat them with respect, chances are they will treat you the same way.
MadmikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:33 AM   #37
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 52639
seems a bit overboard but thats just me. poor decisions on both their parts.
sig 1911 .22 od sold
rock island 1911 9mm
w0ady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #38
XDTalk Member

Member #: 81866
I was born in and grew up in the Philippines. There, a cop can legally shoot you in the back (after firing a warning shot) because you are fleeing from the law... or take you into a field somewhere and shoot you in the head if he felt like it (not legally, but who's to say? BTW, like Mexico, firearms are highly regulated in the Phils... with all the gun violence that entails). Because of this, I'm unvaryingly polite and respectful during encounters with policemen. It has always served me well, officers will always react more positively to you if you have the right attitude... wrong attitude will turn a routine stop into a potential incident real quickly.
Look son, being a good shot, being quick with a pistol, that don't do no harm, but it don't mean much next to being cool-headed. A man who will keep his head and not get rattled under fire, like as not, he'll kill ya. It ain't so easy to shoot a man anyhow, especially if the son-of-a-bitch is shootin' back at you.

Little Bill Daggett
Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #39
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 74977
Quote:
Originally Posted by ia9service View Post
On the one hand, I have always thought anywhere that makes accidental exposure a crime is just stupid.

On the other, if I am dealing with an officer while carrying, I would be the first to let him know long before he catches a glimpse. I don't care if the law says I have to or not. What if he had spotted it while the guy was reaching for his wallet, and assumed he was drawing the gun?

As the instructor (and local LEO) of a recent class I went to put it, if its in the glove compartment I don't need to know about it, if it and your registration are in the glove compartment, things go much smoother if I know about it before you open that door.
makes it easier for everyone involved. i agree
Old 01-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #40
XDTalk Member

Member #: 82067
I agree that the cop over reacted, with very unprofessional language I might add, but the driver should have identified that he was armed. It doesn't matter about the law, it is called professional courtesy and a little can and will go a long way. When a weapon is introduced into any situation involving LE it makes it a little more tense....
04surftaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » CCW and Open Carry Talk

Search tags for this page
andy cox ccw
andy cox citrus co deputy sheffiff

andy cox citrus county

andy cox citrus county deputy
andy cox citrus county florida
andy cox cop
andy cox deputy
andy cox deputy citrus county
citrus county andy cox

citrus county deputy andy cox

citrus county deputy cox

citrus county florida deputy andy cox

citrus county florida deputy andy cox threatens to shoot concealed carry licensee for lawfully carried handgun & then ar

deputy andy cox

deputy andy cox citrus county

florida deputy andy cox

Click on a term to search for related topics.