• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

How did you go about getting insurance when you started carrying?

This is a discussion on How did you go about getting insurance when you started carrying? within the CCW and Open Carry Talk forums, part of the Use and Training category; Waiting on my CCW approval, and I'm trying to look into getting personal liability insurance. I e-mailed my insurance agent last weekend, and he still ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » CCW and Open Carry Talk » How did you go about getting insurance when you started carrying?

Old 01-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 51259
How did you go about getting insurance when you started carrying?

Waiting on my CCW approval, and I'm trying to look into getting personal liability insurance. I e-mailed my insurance agent last weekend, and he still hasn't responded...

So, how did you all go about getting your liability insurance?

Edit: Finally got in contact with my agent's office, and the lady I talked to said it is unclear if an umbrella policy would apply for a justified shoot. Her husband and friends have their CCW permits, and they actually looked into this, and the broker they were researching through said the policies say nothing for or against coverage, so it's really a matter of how lawyers would want to interpret the policy if the situation came up....

Grrr...
ksbsnowowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 37120
"Insurance? We don't need no stinkin' insurance." Actually, never thought of it. Would it cover a civil suit? Seems to me you're opening a can of worms best left closed. The insurance company might decide to jack your rate now.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 11705
I've yet to read a policy that excludes use of a firearm specifically. They exclude coverage for "intentional harm" you cause. But they usually give coverage back when said harm is caused in self defense.

The give back above pertains to civil issues only. I've not seen a policy that will defend you if you are brought up on criminal charges. (Maybe NRA, but probably only some form of reimbursement if you are acquitted.)

BTW. It's not up to the lawyers. It's up to the judge and jury, which is why it's tough to get a clear answer on the matter. Each case is going to be a little different and you won't know what's what for sure until it's over.

You may want to compare what your agent can provide to what the NRA offers. It may be worth having both.

The best advice I can give is this. Read both policies yourself and talk to an attorney that does that kind of work.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 45419
That's what is lovely about certain states. I've not read this anywhere, but during my CCDW class, the instructor noted that if you ever get in to a situation where you have to defend yourself, and it is JUSTIFIED, you cannot have civil charges filed against you. That is, of course, in Kentucky.
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 51259
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
That's what is lovely about certain states. I've not read this anywhere, but during my CCDW class, the instructor noted that if you ever get in to a situation where you have to defend yourself, and it is JUSTIFIED, you cannot have civil charges filed against you. That is, of course, in Kentucky.
Just this past week, here on XDtalk, I read a post where someone in Arizona performed a justified shoot, and even though the state has civil immunity, they were charged anyway.

Bar and Grill and Guns
ksbsnowowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 49856
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
Your instructor misled you. This is America. Anyone can sue anyone at anytime about anything in any state. Whether it's heard depends on the judge, the lawyers, and maybe the phase of the moon...
Regards,
Bushy
Bushdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
XDTalk 85K Member

Member #: 14053
I got mine through the NRA. Their vendors have policies for every contingency.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
XDTalk 85K Member

Member #: 14053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushdoctor View Post
Your instructor misled you.

As an NRA Certified Instructor my assessment of your instructor would not be as kind. In every one of my classes (nwohioccw.com) I have a criminal defense attorney do a 90-minute presentation on concealed carry law and "what if" scenarios.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 44205
Quote:
Your instructor misled you. This is America. Anyone can sue anyone at anytime about anything in any state. Whether it's heard depends on the judge, the lawyers, and maybe the phase of the moon...
Regards,
Bushy
Castle Doctorine here in SC is actually worded to protect a victim from a civil suit (wrongful death, etc) from the BG's family. They cannot sue you.

Do or do not, there is no try. - Little Green Wrinkly dude

What do I know of YOU, who spoke me into motion - Addison Road "What do I know of Holy"

Removed gun count cause I lost them all...tragic.
Jvance325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 12227
Quote:
Regards,
Bushy
I agree in NM Judges do what they want. As far as the original question; I have USAA and I checked. I am covered for personal liability.
rtparso is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » CCW and Open Carry Talk

Search tags for this page
ccw instructor insurance

ccw insurance coverage

ccw insurance ohio

ccw liability insurance

ccw ohio liability insurance
concealed carry insurance nra
concealed carry insurance sc
concealed carry insurance usaa
liability insurance concealed carry kentucky

nra ccw insurance

ohio ccw instructor insurance
personal liability insurance concealed carry

usaa ccw insurance

usaa concealed carry

usaa concealed carry insurance

usaa self defense insurance

Click on a term to search for related topics.