• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Savage BMAG .17 WSM

This is a discussion on Savage BMAG .17 WSM within the Bolt Guns/Precision Rifles forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Hey everyone! My cousin was looking at getting a .17 HMR, but I had just read the article in American Rifleman about the new .17 ...

Old 08-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 57335
Savage BMAG .17 WSM

Hey everyone! My cousin was looking at getting a .17 HMR, but I had just read the article in American Rifleman about the new .17 WSM rimfire and was telling him about it. Does anyone have any experience with this round or the Savage BMAG that was designed for this round? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/
Remove Ads
Old 08-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Nobody? No? No? Ok then
Old 08-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 52646
That round is super new to the market and not chambered in many rifles. Might be tough finding anyone with real world hands-on trigger time. Maybe try out YouTube. Might be some people who did reviews and stuff there?

SA XD-40 4"
Trijicon HD Night Sights
Streamlight TLR-1
CopNa454Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 78891
Quote:
Originally Posted by rharp View Post
Hey everyone! My cousin was looking at getting a .17 HMR, but I had just read the article in American Rifleman about the new .17 WSM rimfire and was telling him about it. Does anyone have any experience with this round or the Savage BMAG that was designed for this round? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Savage Arms
These rifles are like finding .22lr shells. They're out there, but super tough to find. I have one "reserved" at my LGS but am keeping my eyes open everytime I go into a retailer. I have been able to pick up 4 boxes of the ammo in anticipation of getting the rifle.

The ballistics are showing that at 100 yards (rimfire, mind you) the .17 WSM is showing the same velocity as the .22 WMR does at 50 yards. There are a few good videos out there of guys shooting it and grouping nicely.

I've heard rumors that Browning is in production on a .17 WSM chambered rifle.
Bopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bopper View Post
These rifles are like finding .22lr shells. They're out there, but super tough to find. I have one "reserved" at my LGS but am keeping my eyes open everytime I go into a retailer. I have been able to pick up 4 boxes of the ammo in anticipation of getting the rifle.

The ballistics are showing that at 100 yards (rimfire, mind you) the .17 WSM is showing the same velocity as the .22 WMR does at 50 yards. There are a few good videos out there of guys shooting it and grouping nicely.

I've heard rumors that Browning is in production on a .17 WSM chambered rifle.
Ya, they're definitely hard to find. What was the pricing like for the ammo?
Old 08-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 66840
I think midway had a price of $14/50 but have 0 in stock
JeremyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 78891
Quote:
Originally Posted by rharp View Post
Ya, they're definitely hard to find. What was the pricing like for the ammo?
I've paid $15-$18/box. A lot of the retailers around here (North Dakota) don't even have a spot on the shelf for them as they haven't seen them yet.
Bopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 36438
Reviews are coming in very mixed on the rifles. Obviously most of what people post are the negatives but there seems to be a trend with broken or faulty extractors but every manufacturer has some issues with a few bad pieces slippuing through QC.

On the ammo there are some saying it is not very consistent and they are actually weigh sorting theirs to get the best groups possible...round to round variances of 2+/- grains is what some are experiencing. Also there are a few instances of case splitting and while this is normally attributed to an out-of-spec chamber supposedly Winchester is aware and is looking into both issues as production goes forward.

Time will tell on this newest rimfire craze but from what I've heard and read everybody that has one and can get ammo is very satisfied with the results thus far. And, the videos of varmint and prairie dog hunts show awesome terminal results with the round. Personally I think I'll wait a while to see if others (Browning as mentioned here and possibly more) come out with rifles before I get rid of my 17HMR and go to the WSM
Old 09-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 34520
The only reason in my mind to get a rim fire is to save money. At $15+ per 50, it better be accurate. I assume it is so that just leaves you with the Beta-max potential of the round in the minus column. I'd be inclined to get a 17hrm or more likely a small caliber bolt gun over it at this point.
Groo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 81409
B-mag .17 wsm

Well, I have the rifle but no ammo is available. Is anyone aware of ammo in stock anywhere?
M11_SMG is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » Bolt Guns/Precision Rifles

Search tags for this page
17 bmag reviews
17 wsm b mag reviews
17 wsm forums
17 wsm reviews
17wsm review

best scope for 17 wsm

best scope for 17wsm
best scope for savage bmag
bmag 17 wsm

bmag reviews

savage .17 b.mag reviews
savage 17 wsm reviews
savage arms b mag reviews

savage bmag review

savage bmag reviews

savage stainless steel .17 bmag reviews
Click on a term to search for related topics.