• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Factory Ammo for 30-06

This is a discussion on Factory Ammo for 30-06 within the Bolt Guns/Precision Rifles forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; So, I'm pretty new here, this is my second post but, eh? So a few weeks ago I picked up my dream gun. A brand ...

Old 04-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 68767
Factory Ammo for 30-06

So, I'm pretty new here, this is my second post but, eh?

So a few weeks ago I picked up my dream gun. A brand new Winchester Model 70 sporter, caliber 30-06.

Man do I love it. The stock is absolutly beautiful, covered in fiddleback, the checkering is clean and crisp, and the finish is flawless. The new MOA trigger is amazing. No creep, no over travel, no slack. Breaks like glass. The bolt is the smoothest I've ever felt. I like it better than the finest Sako. I stuck leupold duel dovetail scope mounts on it, but unfortunately that's all the wife would let me splurge on. So currently it's wearing a Nikon Buckmaster 4-14 instead of the Vortex Viper I want. Oh well. Save some more $ I guess.

I have some hand loads I worked up I worked up for my ol pre 64 Winchester, they shoot about a minute in my new one, but here lately, I don't know why, I've really been getting into factory ammo. Just had surgery. Maybe it's the meds. Who knows?

So I picked up some Federal Premium's with the 165 Trophy Bonded Tip bullets, and some Hornady Superformance with the 165 SST's (they go 2960 fps, no foolin!!! I chronyed it!!!) The Trophy Bonded tips shot about 2 minutes, the Hornady's about a minute. So finally, here's the question. What factory ammo do you all like? I've never had good luck with cor-lokt's, inaccurate as hell. I'd like to try some 180 Oryx's from Norma, kind of exotic, but what the hell, right? What do you guys like? Favorite hand loads count too.
No1Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 70861
i've never been into buying factory ready ammo.. idk why.
i use 168 grain a-max and reload my own..

cor-locks are probably the worst ammo you'll ever find. i've had better luck out of m2 ball military ammo..

sounds like a beautiful gun. congrats. i love my 30-06's. its my rifle of choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
4.0B2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 63453
My favorite 30-06 factory load is Federal Premium with the 150 gr Sierra Game BTSP. On a bad day they shoot MOA from my stock 700 BDL. Over the years it has produced more than one .5 MOA groups. They have proven to be 100% leathal on TX whitetail but my be a little light for hunting in Utah.
XD5.25Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 54620
I used to like the winchester silvertip 150 gr's. but there no longer available unless you buy the premo box. I have switched to the $13 a boc federals from walamrt ( blue box) and have found them to be quite accurate in both my 700 bdl and my rem 74. Not to mention that $13 per box is dirt cheap! and ive shot 3 deer with them so far, all have dropped with in 50' or less with minimal meat getting "blood shot".

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Soil that is dirty grows the countless things. A river that is too pure contains no fish. Thus as a mature person you properly include and retain a measure of grime.
YoopermikeXDM is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » Bolt Guns/Precision Rifles

30-06, accuracy, factory ammo, hand loaded ammo, winchester model 70

Search tags for this page
3006 factory ammo
best 30 06 ammo for accuracy

best 30-06 factory ammo

best brand ammo for 30.06
best factory 30 06 ammo

best factory 30-06 ammo

best factory rounds 30-06 target rifle
clean burning factory 3006 ammo for purchase
model 70 30-06 recommended ammo
most accurate .3006 ammo

most accurate 30-06 ammo

most accurate 30-06 factory ammo

most accurate factory ammo for winchester 70 featherweight 30-06
what brand 30-06 ammo is the best for sako
whats the most accurate factory ammo in 30-06 using a 180 gr. bullet
winchester rifle model 70 30-06 not acurate
Click on a term to search for related topics.