• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

New (old) Remington Hotness

This is a discussion on New (old) Remington Hotness within the Bolt Guns/Precision Rifles forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; On the 5th of February, 2012, I took my wife shooting for the first time. I put a borrowed Winchester 9422 in her hands and ...

Old 03-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 63635
New (old) Remington Hotness

On the 5th of February, 2012, I took my wife shooting for the first time. I put a borrowed Winchester 9422 in her hands and she proceeded to eat my lunch with it. When I cleaned it up to take it back, she had this sad look on her face and said "We're ... not going to keep it?". So I set about looking for a rifle for her. I knew that I wanted to keep it to a small caliber as she has some shoulder problems that I don't want to aggravate. Chatting with friends, shooters and gunsmiths, I settled on either .223 or .308. Since she is only shooting from the bench, weight isn't a real issue.

Over the course of the following few days, we had the conversation several times working what kind of rifle she'd like to have. Her input was pretty simple. She wanted something with a classic look and that wouldn't have massive recoil as she has some shoulder issues. The following week, I took her to a gun store so that I could see what sorts of rifles caught her eye. From this, I established that she'd want something with a classic sporting rifle look and wood furniture is preferable to composite. Mostly, I think she just doesn't like the unfinished black composite look because a couple of composite stocks with printed wood grain appealed to her.

A few days later, I was in another LGS and happened to find a Remington 788 in .223 complete with an optic. It met all of our requirements and appeared to be in pretty good condition. I bought it, took it home and when I tore it down for cleaning and inspection, I really couldn't find any wear indicators. Nice. Took it to the range to zero it. It wasn't even on the paper at 100 yards. Darn near in the wood at 25. WAY low and right. I put 40 rounds through it just to get it zeroed as I was trying to figure out both gun and optic. I finally got it zeroed and put 10 round down at 100 yards. I wasn't very happy with the group, but I was starting to get frustrated at that point and I was out of ammo and I had to go to work.

When I tore it down again, there were some wear marks on the bolt and receiver that hadn't been there before. Complete DCLA later, I was convinced that rifle was a virgin. I started researching and immediately came up with some contradictory information. The date stamp in the barrel indicates a build date of November, 1968. However, Remington's archive says this chambering was only offered in 1974. Additionally, the serial number on my receiver does not fall into a valid range listed in the Archive. So I called Remington to figure it out. Turns out this gun was made in 1981. Given the fact that there were no wear marks on the bolt or receiver prior to my shooting it and that the scope was WAY out of adjustment, I think someone bought this rifle new, put a scope on it and then put it in a closet.

Anyway, my wife saw the $500 transaction on the bank website later that day. When she asked what I had bought, I handed her the magazine for the rifle. She asked "What's this???". I said "It goes to that" while pointing over my shoulder at her new rifle.

My wife loves me.

I have, here in my pocket, 61 165-grain presents. Take 2, they're small.
Scoobywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 12586
Pics or it didn't happen!
‎"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!" - Sam Houston
"quo vadis"
AwPhuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28938
yeah, a story like that deserves pictures... any bragging deserves pictures...
Old 03-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 18902
I have a Rem 788 in .223 sitting behind me in the safe. It's a good little shooter. I bought mine back in the 70s when I was part timing at a Virginia gun shop while serving in the Navy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
arizona98tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 50455
It's good to have a wife that likes & understands our penchant for things that go "BOOM". Just bought my wife a Stevens 200 in .223, waiting for it to arrive (Buds - 6 days & counting, maybe pick it up Monday). She want's an AR, but before I let her burn up a 30 rd mag she's gonna learn to shoot straight & hit what she aims at.
Diamond Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 68230
Sweet, never have had gun that had not been shot by some one else first.
Oddgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 63635
Well, I finally found the card reader for my camera. So, by popular request, here are the pics I shot when I first got this rifle. These shots were taken after my first outing with it. I had put 50 rounds through it, then torn it apart, cleaned it and took these pictures.

I have, here in my pocket, 61 165-grain presents. Take 2, they're small.
Scoobywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55528
Nice rifle. I too was "lost" when it came to a Remington 788. I also just picked one up last month. It still had the original stock and scope that was on it. Not 100% sure when my father had picked it up. But I'm glad I got it.

Here it is (along with my other toys) with the original stock and the Tasco 4x40 scope:

Here it is now in its current configuration:

It has a Ram-Line stock, along with a new Tasco 3-12x40 scope on it.

And here's the most recent target:

Have fun. Great rifle.

Home-built LH AR15:
Stag Arms LH flat top Upper
Del-Ton 5.56 Lower
YHM 16" Fluted barrel
YHM Phantom Compensator/muzzle brake
RRA FF Advanced Half Quad Rail
Phase 5 Ambi bolt release
Magpul MIAD, CTR stock, MBUS
TruGlo Tru-Brite Open Red-Dot Sight

184 Series Ruger Mini-14
ATI Stock
Eagle Industries barrel shroud
John Masen muzzle brake

Ruger LC9
Galloway trigger kit
XDJSR33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » Bolt Guns/Precision Rifles

Search tags for this page
old remingtons

remington 788 .223

remington model 788 223
Click on a term to search for related topics.