• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Best Mosin Nagant Sporter Stock

This is a discussion on Best Mosin Nagant Sporter Stock within the Bolt Guns/Precision Rifles forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Hey guy, I recently bought my first two Mosin Nagants! I bought them along with a Carcano carbine and I could've have been happier! One ...

Old 10-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 63737
Best Mosin Nagant Sporter Stock

Hey guy,

I recently bought my first two Mosin Nagants! I bought them along with a Carcano carbine and I could've have been happier! One is a M44 and the other is a 91/30. I'm about to buy another Mosin that looks to have been converted into a sporter rifle. Whoever made the alterations kept the same factory stock but chopped it down and removed the handguard. The craftsmanship is superb but I'm considering getting a real sporter stock that I can use. I'm not really into the synthetic Monte Carlo stocks that seem to be really popular. I saw that one shooters put their Mosins in a Fajen walnut stock and that looked pretty good.

Are there any wooden sporter stocks out there that are relatively cheap and nicely fit the Mosin Nagant?
Old 10-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 53827
I dont know if this is considered 'sporterized' but I have been looking at this one... I have a very similar one from them on my 10/22, its very high quality, and not expensive at all...

ROSS FT MOSIN NAGANT
Old 10-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
XDTalk Newbie

That is certainly a nice stock and for a great price too! But I am looking for something more traditional like the stock viewed in this picture: http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/285...ovasen1aw2.jpg

Unfortunately that is a Finnish Jukka Immonen and I'm not sure they're imported here. Is there anything like that that is made and sold in the US?
Old 10-03-2011, 12:39 AM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNally View Post
That is certainly a nice stock and for a great price too! But I am looking for something more traditional like the stock viewed in this picture: http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/285...ovasen1aw2.jpg

Unfortunately that is a Finnish Jukka Immonen and I'm not sure they're imported here. Is there anything like that that is made and sold in the US?
They also have this....

Prairie Hunter Mosin Nagant

And this....

Boyds' Classic Mosin Nagant

Look at the list on the left side of the page when you go to there... they make custom stocks for a LOT of rifles
Old 10-03-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Heres the one I put on my 10/22 from them, the pics dont even do it justice for how good it looks and the quality....

Old 10-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 49247
man this would be an awesome project but i would have to try and put away my love for history aside

In helpdesk we trust
WarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:03 AM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

I know how you feel Warlord. i would never permanently alter my Mosins to make them into sporter rifles. There is a certain quality, asthetic, nostalgia call it whatever you want, about old surplus military rifles like the Mosin Nagant.

I only ask this question because I will be purchasing another Mosin that had some work done to it years back in an attempt to sporterize it. Its a very interesting looking rifle mainly because the front sights were replace by what looks to be an unhooded Mauser K98 front sight. Its still in the original (albeit altered and slight shortened) stock. But since its already been altered i figured why not go the extra step and make into a full sporter with a quality stock. No harm no foul in this instance.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:15 AM   #8
XDTalk 2K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNally View Post
I know how you feel Warlord. i would never permanently alter my Mosins to make them into sporter rifles. There is a certain quality, asthetic, nostalgia call it whatever you want, about old surplus military rifles like the Mosin Nagant.

I only ask this question because I will be purchasing another Mosin that had some work done to it years back in an attempt to sporterize it. Its a very interesting looking rifle mainly because the front sights were replace by what looks to be an unhooded Mauser K98 front sight. Its still in the original (albeit altered and slight shortened) stock. But since its already been altered i figured why not go the extra step and make into a full sporter with a quality stock. No harm no foul in this instance.
LOL... I'm actually debating on replacing the stock on mine completely, or modifying the original stock to shorten the barrel channel... I already removed the barrel bands, took off the top cover and sanded the channel out to free float the barrel.

I like the history behind it, so I'm leaning more towards just altering the original stock to my tastes... but I bought it to have fun with, the history is just an added bonus, if I wanted one for historical value then I'd hang it on the wall as a conversation piece
Old 10-04-2011, 01:49 AM   #9
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 54775
ya know... they are about 100 bucks each. if it makes you feel better buy a few and put the best one up untouched, take the second best and shoot it as is, then take the third and do as you would with it knowing the better two are safe in the closet.

i have been looking at the stocks in the links and its tempting. I just don't wanna put more money than I should in a rifle I paid 89 bucks for and might not be that great.
Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

That's a very good point. It makes no sense that for a stock you'd dish out the same, if not greater, amount of money than what you paid for the actual rifle itself. I think that is why so many are turning to the synthetic Monte Carlo stocks. They're cheap, sporty and pretty good looking. But I guess that I'm just a wood stock fan (pun not intended ). I'm the same way with tennis racquets, I'd bring a woodie to high school practice every once in a while and do my best McEnroe impression for the team, and that was just two years ago!

But I digress. With Mosin Nagants still being the cheapest surplus rifles on the market its no harm no foul to fool around with one of the less desirable ones and turn it into a fun modern shooter. And people have been altering them for years now. Just today I picked up an altered 91/30, that had the barrel cut down along with the stock and had what appears to be an unhooded K98 front sight welded on the tip of the barrel. A very unique rifle indeed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » Bolt Guns/Precision Rifles

mosin, nagant, sporter stock

Search tags for this page

best mosin nagant stock

best mosin nagant stocks
best mosin stock
best stock for mosin nagant

custom mosin nagant stock

custom mosin nagant stocks
mosin nagant custom rifle stocks
mosin nagant custom stocks
mosin nagant custom wood stocks

mosin nagant sporter

mosin nagant sporter stock

mosin nagant stock kit
mosin nagant stock replacement

mosin nagant wood sporter stock

mosin sporter stock
who makes new stocks for mosin
Click on a term to search for related topics.