• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Looking to set up a rifle/pistol range

This is a discussion on Looking to set up a rifle/pistol range within the Bolt Guns/Precision Rifles forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; A friend of mine lives in the sticks & has room for a 100yd+ range w/natural backdrop (hill side). It will be dug into the ...

Old 03-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 55640
Looking to set up a rifle/pistol range

A friend of mine lives in the sticks & has room for a 100yd+ range w/natural backdrop (hill side). It will be dug into the hillside a bit. Given my local hunting grounds 100yds is a wide open space, PNW woods are a thick bunch. This guy has no drive/motivation to create anything, but care for pre-existing things with great detail (don't ask it boggles me too). I am looking for ideas on portable & permanent metal swing targets for cheap.

Thanks for any input,
~psguardian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
XDm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Black/Black w/Trijicon Night Sights
psguardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-22-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 52646
You can make a target for much cheaper than you can buy one. If you live in an area where you have a friend with room for a 100 yd range, you probably have a friend with a stick welder and a cutting torch? me and my buddy made swing targets for our slug guns in about an hour from scrap metal he had laying around his house.

10 ft of rebar, and 3 sq/ft of 1/8-1/4" plate steel (depending on how heavy a caliber you plan to shoot at it) will be more than enough to build a 3-spot swinging bullet trap. That's basically what we did at my buddys, and at 50-100 yds it handles our slug guns just fine for pre-season warm-ups.

Just be sure to dig a small pit for it to sit in against your dirt burm. Lessens the chance of a round bouncing up and over the hill.

SA XD-40 4"
Trijicon HD Night Sights
Streamlight TLR-1
CopNa454Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 55640
Yea this friend has nothing in the way of workshop tools. Really creates NOTHING. However scrap plate steel is a good idea. Geez I wish I had a welder lol. In the event that home made is not an option, anyone know of commercially avail swing targets that won't break the bank? Will be everything from pistols to high power rifles so 3/4" thickness is a must.

~psguardian

XDm
Black/Black w/Trijicon Night Sights
psguardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 12426
There's quality steel then there's everything else. Depends on how long you want the targets to last. I only buy AR500 steel because it's good for pistols up to and including 50BMG...just make sure that you put your targets past 100 yards.

In the world of steel targets...velocity kills steel targets, so keep that in mind when choosing steel and which calibers you plan on shooting.

You just missed out on a GB on AR500 targets at THR and SH...I bought (4) new plates to use since I needed bigger targets.

I have 8" steel targets on a stand...they work well...I just needed larger targets for longer ranges.

As for cheap stands...I went to Home Depot and bought one of those "for sale" signs..there were two types..I bought the one that was thicker since I didn't think the thin sign would be able to hold my new targets. I also bought some of those rubber bungee straps to hang the targets on the stand. I will take some pictures once I get my targets from the GB.

ETA: When you hang the targets...try to hang them on an angle...this will help your targets last longer...if you have swinging targets...then you don't need to worry.
aubie515 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » Bolt Guns/Precision Rifles

Search tags for this page
back drops to put targets on in a shooting range
best set up for home target range
best target setup for handguns

gun range set up

how to set up a rifle range

how to set up a shooting range

how to set up a target cheap

pistol range set up

pistol/rifle range setups
set up a pistol range

setting up a pistol range

setting up a small gun range

setting up a target range

setting up a target range for pistols

shooting range backdrop

shooting range setup

Click on a term to search for related topics.