• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

LWRC M6A2 Gas Piston Carbine

This is a discussion on LWRC M6A2 Gas Piston Carbine within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I went to the Gun Show today, just to take a look see, and I ended up walking out with the best rifle in the ...

Old 01-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 22287
LWRC M6A2 Gas Piston Carbine

I went to the Gun Show today, just to take a look see, and I ended up walking out with the best rifle in the show. I arrived 20 minutes before the doors opened and the line was already going around the (large) building. I spotted a very nice example of a NIB LWRC M6A2 16" 5.56 at a price $300 less than I had seen elsewhere. It had a snug upper/lower fit, better than any other example I have handled. It has a Teflon/Nickel bolt carrier, VLTOR EMod collapsing stock, Magpul enhanced trigger guard, Magpul MOE pistol grip with trap door storage, 16.1" 1/7 barrel, one 30rd Magpul PMag magazine, and short-stoke gas-piston operation. To top it all off, the salesperson was a shapely young lady (also best in the show). It did not come with sights, so I picked up MI folding front (for top rail) and rear BUIS's at a decent price. With my laser bore sighter, the mechanical zero is dead on.

The "gas key" is not integral with the bolt carrier. Instead, the "gas key" has an extra large base which is dovetailed to the teflon/Nickel bolt carrier. Then the gas key bolts are staked in such a way, that it is never coming loose. The trigger is perfectly weighted with just a little creep in the take up that will break in.

The 9.125" midlength quad rail is free floated with rear tabs that key it with the upper receiver. Like the Samson Star-C design, torquing a vert grip cannot loosen the barrel nut. Unlike some gas piston conversions, the handguards are not abnormally wide.

Besides adding the BUIS's and ladder rail covers, there is nothing I need to upgrade or replace on this fine weapon.

P.S. It is not on "The Chart" because it is way off the chart!

Last edited by Wild Rice; 01-11-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Wild Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 26678
Yeah that's a nice weapon. One of the few AR-type rifles I have on my "wish list". I don't think there is anything wrong with a semi-auto DI AR, but regardless, I must have an LWRC!
daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 8785
Welcome to the club.

I was anti-Obama when Anti-Obama wasn't cool. Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.-- Glen Aldrich

The wealthiest nation in the world with the mightiest army man has ever assembled could not stop them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
PackerfanXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 16634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Rice View Post

P.S. It is not on "The Chart" because it is way off the chart!
Nice weapon.

P.S. It is not on "The Chart" because it isn't a M4

mvician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 26678
Nice rifle. The LWRC and a Noveske are the only "AR-type" weapons I plan to buy this year.
daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

From PackerfanXD's previous gas piston thread which quoted another forum:

Quote:
Having spent time with both the HK416 and LWRC M6A2/A1 on the range, I'd say go with the LWRC. You could buy an M6A1/A2 complete carbine or upper now. Many of the dealers carry some stock even with the huge demands for them. It's up to you. The HK is a good gun, but the LWRC has features that make it superior in my opinion. While HK is offering CHF barrels, keep in mind that CHF barrels are not all the same. LWRC has access to a lot of new technology that will make their CHF barrels even more durable than the uber-barrels. Let me just say the chrome lining is so 20th century. In addition the LWRC retains a high level of parts commonality with traditional AR's which is especially important on the modern battlefield.

Here's a list of features the LWRC has that make it superior to any other piston operated AR style weapon. This info has come from numerous individuals to include current LWRC employees Darren, Jesse, and Jason.

LWRC piston operated gas system
- 100% of all carbon, fouling, and debris that doesn't leave the muzzle are vented out of the piston cup under the handguards. This may not seem important, but it reduces the visual and auditory signature especially when running the gun suppressed. The LWRC is, apples for apples, the quietest AR style rifle available when suppressed.
- Little to no heat transfer to bolt parts
- Any excess gas that does not leave the muzzle vents through three small bleed off valves on the piston cup
- Gas system is self regulating
- Gas system not affected by the presence of water
- Multiple piece pusher rod assembly rather than single piece reduces the potential for catastrophic failure in the event of a high pressure round.
- User removable without tools
- Cold hammer forged barrel with unique LWRC surface conversion process
- Free floating
- Easily resists damage caused by obstructed bore occurrences and/or extreme extended firing sessions
- Will easily exceed 30,000 rounds with less than 5% loss in accuracy and muzzle velocity
- Varied gas piston component lengths and gas port location on all barrel lengths allow for flexibility in system including an 8” VSBR
- Replaced by armorer in less than 2 minutes without tools
- Headspace automatically fixed upon reinstallation
- Chamber and bore go through a unique surface conversion process that is twice as hard and 3 times as lubricious as hard chrome
- Two piece bolt carrier has increased flexibility over one piece design
- Enlarged tail end of bolt carrier to eliminate carrier tilt
- No spring loaded firing pin and firing pin safety that unnecessarily complicates a proven 50 year old design
- Limited possibility of slam fires and drop induced discharges through a proven 50 year old design
- Improved Bolt Design with the ACB
- Extractor does not require removal for cleaning
- Fully supported bolt face (ACB)
- Refined locking lugs (ACB)
- No gas rings required
- Over-The-Beach capability
- Drainage hole in the buffer tube
- Hammer Forged barrel and proprietary internal chamber and barrel mods/dimensions designed to withstand extreme pressure during OTB operation
Improved buffer and buffer spring
- H2 Tungsten weight buffer and 20% stronger buffer spring help improve function by preventing light primer strikes and eliminating bolt bounce
- Four quadrant picatinny rail system
- No loss in zero after removal and reinstallation
- 90% parts commonality with legacy weapon systems
- Same height 12 o’clock rail as legacy weapons allows 100% compatibility with legacy accessories and mounting systems
- Reduced weight; some configurations weigh a full pound less than comparable piston guns
- Available in SOCOM Flat Dark Earth or Black
- Excellent customer service
- Lifetime Warranty

These are just a few of the many features the LWRC has that make it a superior weapon. Don't forget it's been combat proven and exhaustively tested by some of the finest military units in the world. Another thanks to Darren, Jesse, Jason, and other employees at LWRC for the information provided.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 2089
Hmmmm.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
nikon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Correction: I said my LWRC had a chromed bolt carrier. That is wrong. It has a Teflon/Nickel plating.

From an LWRC representative:
"As of April 9, 2007 all carriers shipped with our upper, rifles and conversions will feature TeflonNickel plating instead of Dupont Teflon.
Electroless Nickel consists of Teflon particles that are dispersed in an Electroless Nickel matrix, and is one of the most lubricious materials available to you. Because the process combines polymers with electroless nickel, Teflon's naturally weak, poor wear resistance is virtually non-existant and controlled rate of deposition allows thickness to be controlled to +/- .00001". The result: Teflon-nickel is hard, wear resistant, ductile and has excellent friction characteristics. The Teflon particles themselves have a nominal diameter of 0.4 micron and are uniformly distributed. As the Teflon Electroless Nickel becomes worn, a new supply of particles is exposed, maintaining it's low friction properties. The finish is a matte non-reflective silver color with a hint of tan."

Another interesting feature is the widened and fluted bolt carrier tail. The extra width helps eliminate carrier tilt sometimes associated with gas piston designs. I believe the flutes are to decrease surface contact and friction that would come with widening the tail. Others believe the flutes are there to improve function if the rifle is submerged in water. I like my theory better.

Last edited by Wild Rice; 01-11-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 23857
LWRC model questions

Wild Rice & PackerfanXD,

Nice looking rifles!

Where can I get one?

What does an M6A2 cost?

PackerfanXD, which LWRC do you have?

How does the LWRC M6A2 compare with the other LWRC rifles? How interchangeable are they with other ARs? What is parts availability like? What options does LWRC offer for their models?

Chapie+
Chapie+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:29 PM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

As far as the cost, expect to pay about twice the price of a good direct gas impingement AR. It may not be a good value for your dollar, but it may just be the best AR derived rifle currently available. Plus the high end features and components means that nothing has to be exchanged or upgraded.

The complete upper can be purchased and would be compatible with a regular lower, although a heavier (H2) buffer and stronger buffer spring are used. As far as I can tell, the stripped upper appears to be the same. The flattop is standard. The bolt carrier, "gas key", gas piston assembly, and gas block are unique. I am not sure about the bolt and bolt small parts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

Search tags for this page
can you turn the gas off on a lwrc m6a2
hk416 vs lwrc
lwrc barrel removal tool
lwrc is it beter thein the schar
lwrc m6 a2

lwrc m6a2

lwrc m6a2 best price
lwrc m6a2 price
lwrc m6a2 serial number location
lwrc m6a2 upgrades
lwrc m6a2 upper assembly compared to
my lwrc m6a2 did not come with buis, how old is it
serial number for lwrc m6a2
where is the serial number on lwrc
will a 300 blackout barrel fit in a m6a2 lwrc rifle?
Click on a term to search for related topics.