• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Levang Linear Compensator

This is a discussion on Levang Linear Compensator within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Just thought I throw this out there since a lot of you guys are building up a ar. I've been after a way to be ...

Old 12-28-2008, 01:25 AM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 26943
Thumbs up Levang Linear Compensator

Just thought I throw this out there since a lot of you guys are building up a ar.

I've been after a way to be able to shot my AR-15 without the need of hearing protection. I got some 6.5 acres I patrol from time to time(sometimes I see evidence of trespassing and trashing up my pond) so I typically bring protection.

Anyways, I think I found the solution, Levang Linear Compensator, tonight I was testing it out, 30rds without hearing protection and still could hear perfectly. The gun isnt quite by any means, but your ears and anyone behind the gun wont ring at least. It doesn't fully kill the flash, I get a small one, but it's below the line of sight, and causes no problems, unlike the A2 birdcage with sometimes a flame flys across the sight picture.
Recoil is directed straight back, and keeps the muzzle level despite having nothing on top.

Just a suggestion to those wanting something semi-hearing safe, without going to suppression. Now it doesnt reduce the report, just redirects it, so it all good on the legal side.

Yeah I know it isnt set straight, but I've told they are suppose to set in slight angle, I even notice a Magpul prototype gun with one, and it was crooked too. Plus I dont think it even matter how it's set, every hole is the same.
http://www.defensereview.com/stories...ul%20PDR_5.jpg

Or maybe just because the threading even with a crush washer, makes it seat crooked.

Last edited by MagicPie; 12-28-2008 at 01:29 AM.
MagicPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 10643
I've found that the use of barrels at least 20" long mitigates muzzle blast considerably. The Levang gets good reviews.
Mercmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 25728
Where does one get one of these?
StewieGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 22287
I have not tried this product, but please be careful. Anything more than a couple rounds per year could result in cumulative permanent hearing loss. Here is a good summary article about gunfire and cumulative hearing loss. I would definitely not go though a magazine full of ammo without approved hearing protection. Personally, I wouldn't even shoot one round of 22 rimfire without good hearing protection.

Hearing Loss News and Articles: Gunshots - hearing’s not-so-silent enemy
Wild Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
ORD
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 27771
DPMS makes/sells the Levang Linear Comp through Brownells, MidwayUSA, and several other places. I got my last one from Brownells:

AR-15 LEVANG LINEAR COMPENSATOR at Brownells

It is a great brake that really does an excellent job of redirecting muzzle blast/gas from the shooter, downrange. That said, I wouldn't say that they are safe to use without any hearing protection for range sessions or extended shooting time, but for hunting or shooting only a few rounds without hearing protection, these work VERY nicely.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 25728
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORD View Post
DPMS makes/sells the Levang Linear Comp through Brownells, MidwayUSA, and several other places. I got my last one from Brownells:

It is a great brake that really does an excellent job of redirecting muzzle blast/gas from the shooter, downrange. That said, I wouldn't say that they are safe to use without any hearing protection for range sessions or extended shooting time, but for hunting or shooting only a few rounds without hearing protection, these work VERY nicely.
Thanks ORD, that was very useful!
StewieGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 9036
Very interesting.

Last edited by faawrenchbndr; 12-29-2008 at 11:12 AM.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 28922
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORD View Post

Great post. One or two rounds in situations where you cannot get to your hearing protection, such as a home invasion or predator trying to kill your livestock, probably won't do enough harm to your ears to make you completely deaf. For situations where you can get to hearing protection but also want to hear quiet sounds, there are some newer muffs that allow you to hear normally (as if you weren't wearing muffs) but they also electronically filter out louder noises such as gunfire. I've considered buying a couple sets of these muffs.

Elvex Impulse, Mil-Spec Muffs
The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.

-Jeff Cooper-
RoninSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 9036
Very good point.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:15 PM   #10
ORD
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 27771
Glad to assist, Gents.

I got caught up talking about the sound stuff and didn't mention the recoil/muzzle climb reduction. While obviously not as effective as some brakes with upward facing and/or rear-angled ports that effectively "push" the muzzle downward/forward...the Levang does do a nice job of reducing muzzle climb, making for quicker follow-up/second shots on targets.

The drawback that I can say about this brake (if it really is one) is that it does NOT reduce perceived recoil (not that the 223/5.56 has much to begin with)!! Just makes for less muzzle "flip" and a more "Linear" recoil impulse (can't imagine where they got the name??).

Last edited by ORD; 12-29-2008 at 04:17 PM.
ORD is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

Search tags for this page
9mm linear compensator

asi quiet linear compensator

dpms levang compensator
dpms levang linear compensator review
dpms muzzle brake levang linear
lavange linear comp review
levang
levang comp
levang compensator review
levang linear comp review

levang linear compensator

levang linear compensator review

levang linear compensator reviews
levang muzzle brake
levang muzzle brake review
linear compensator review
Click on a term to search for related topics.