• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Quad rail install question on S&W...

This is a discussion on Quad rail install question on S&W... within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Can I ask about my S&W AR-15...hope so here goes.. I gotta quick question, just bought a S&W AR and have ordered an AR-15 UTG ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » Quad rail install question on S&W...

Old 12-18-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 31313
Quad rail install question on S&W...

Can I ask about my S&W AR-15...hope so here goes..

I gotta quick question, just bought a S&W AR and have ordered an AR-15 UTG Quad Rail Mid-Length Forearm 8.5" Mil-Spec Mount (Heres the link if u need more info... ARR-146 - AR-15 UTG Quad Rail Mid-Length Forearm 8.5" Mil-Spec Mount Replaces Original Hand Guards and Solidly Locks In Place) My question is on my AR at the front of the handguard I have a flat mount with no sight(flip up is ordered) now with this new quad rail being longer it seems I will have to move this sight forward, How do I remove the sight? How do I tell which side of it that I tap the pin out of the sight?(Owners manual does not say)

Also will the gas tube remain or will I have to get a longer one, Im still learning alot of stuff so bear with me. I have loosened the allen bolt underneath the sight and just curious where I go from here if you know or can lend guidance and info on what you know and have learned. Thanks in advance -Steve
HTTTRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 29137
I have the UTG hand guard for my DPMS M4. The front end of the quad rail doesn't fit inside the cap. It is designed to go over the front end cap. That's why there are 4 allen screws to tighten down. It didn't seem right to me at first. I thought it wasn't the right size. Try to just fit the forward end over the front cap instead of inside it like the rear. Let me know if it helps.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 26355
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyTransplant View Post
I have the UTG hand guard for my DPMS M4. The front end of the quad rail doesn't fit inside the cap. It is designed to go over the front end cap. That's why there are 4 allen screws to tighten down. It didn't seem right to me at first. I thought it wasn't the right size. Try to just fit the forward end over the front cap instead of inside it like the rear. Let me know if it helps.
You speak blasphemy on this forum with that UTG speak!!!

I got a lot of crap for just hinting that I like UTG.

I hope wildrice doesn't see your post!!!
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
rudy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:09 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 26355
Oh, and does anyone have an opinion? Is a free float rail of any benefit on a 16 inch barrel (16 is too short to get affected by the weight)?
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
rudy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:46 PM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 11014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy64 View Post
Oh, and does anyone have an opinion? Is a free float rail of any benefit on a 16 inch barrel (16 is too short to get affected by the weight)?
A freefloated rail (can) be a benefit to any length barrel. And barrel weight isn't necessarily the deciding factor for installing one in my opinion.

The utg isn't a freefloating forend though if that's what you're comparing it to. It does nothing to float the barrel.

It's just a fancy regular handguard with cupholders.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:52 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 23615
Yeah, a free-float is an entirely different beast than the UTG (as well as a lot of other pricey stuff).

It's an accessory rail--nothing more.

For the money though, you can't beat 'em.

Like somebody else mentioned, it goes under the delta ring (near receiver), and clamps over the front ring.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:04 AM   #7
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 22703
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy64 View Post
You speak blasphemy on this forum with that UTG speak!!!

I got a lot of crap for just hinting that I like UTG.

I hope wildrice doesn't see your post!!!
Ehhh, it's his rifle. No one here should care if he wants to hang potpourri bags off the trigger guard if that's what he wants to do. Not everyone has an unlimited budget to become the Tommy Tacticool of the AR World.
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."

Last edited by XDConvert9mm; 12-19-2008 at 01:16 AM.
XDConvert9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:38 AM   #8
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 27142
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDConvert9mm View Post
Ehhh, it's his rifle. No one here should care if he wants to hang potpourri bags off the trigger guard if that's what he wants to do. Not everyone has an unlimited bidget to become the Tommy Tacticool of the AR World.
Calm down Chief.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

"SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM"
ThumperMX113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:42 AM   #9
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 22703
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113 View Post
Calm down Chief.
Nothing to calm down from Tonto. Just an observation and an opinion.

Asking for info in this section of the forum can be very, very helpful.

Asking for opinions is like trying to herd cats sometimes. YMMV.
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."

Last edited by XDConvert9mm; 12-19-2008 at 12:44 AM.
XDConvert9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:15 AM   #10
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 27142
Not sure I follow, no one was being problematic until you two. So, isn't that like the pot calling the kettle black? I'd say so ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

"SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM"
ThumperMX113 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

Search tags for this page
hand rails for mp 10

installing free float rail on s&w m&p 15 sport

installing mid length quad rail on m and p 15

m&p 15 drop in rail
m&p15 sport quad rail install
mid length free float rail m&p 15

mp 10 quad rail

quad rail doesnt fit on m&p 15 sport

quad rail for m&p 10
remove a quadrail from a s&w m&p carbine

sw mp 15

utg s&w mp 10 quad rail

what free float rail fits the m&p 10

what size quad rail fits sw mp ar15
what size rails fit smith and wesson m&p15

will a utg pro quad rail fit a s&w m&p10

Click on a term to search for related topics.