• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

can i convert an ar-15 pistol ionto a rifle?

This is a discussion on can i convert an ar-15 pistol ionto a rifle? within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; so in my quest for info on the confusing laws of the atf i am very confused. what i do know. i cant take my ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » can i convert an ar-15 pistol ionto a rifle?

Old 09-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 26172
can i convert an ar-15 pistol ionto a rifle?

so in my quest for info on the confusing laws of the atf i am very confused.

what i do know.
i cant take my ar-15 rifle and convert it into a pistol

what i dont know
can i convert my ar-15 pistol in to a rifle and NEVER back to a pistol again?
i have no intent on going back to a pistol

if you have a link to the atf page that states this law i would thank you greatly
i have been searching but i can only find hearsay and no atf link or law

I haven't stopped believing in god. I just stopped beliving he cares. There might be a god, there might not, but i dont think it matters. Either way were on our own.-Jace Wayland

If you want to polish your barrel click the link below

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
sourpatch45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 25728
If you are trying to get an SBR out of your pistol set up, then you can't just put a stock on it without the stamp. But you can probably convert your whole pistol set up to a rifle set up as long as you meet all requirements.
StewieGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 23346
I would ASSUME that you would be able to add a non SBR upper to your lower, THEN add the stock to it to make it a rifle, legally.

I would find a firearms attourney and ask them what they think. They are far more in touch with the practical findings of the law than most of us are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
SVThuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 27366
idle speculation. Why not try to find a carbine conversion kit. They make them for 1911s and other makes including .22LR. Why not one for a .223?

I'll do some searching as well.
Diocoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 18547
IIRC you can go from a pistol to a rifle, but you've got to pay the $200 tax (and follow all other SBR stuff) like you would for an SBR. Once it is a rifle, it can never be a pistol again.
f0cker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 16634
Pistol to rifle yes, rifle to pistol no, pistol to rifle and then back to pistol ok. Pistol to SBR yes after paying tax, forms, ect.

edited for corrections

AR Pistol FAQ

AR15.COM :: Forums :: AR15 Pistol SHORT FAQ : Please feel free to add comments and questions!

Last edited by mvician; 09-17-2008 at 07:53 PM.
mvician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 13198
Sorry guys, if the lower is registered as a pistol, and the "virgin" build is a pistol, you can go back and forth, as long as you never have the stock and a barrel under 16 inches on at the same time. No tax stamp as long as it is not an SBR.

If you get a stripped lower and it is registered as a pistol, and your first build (virgin) is to make it into a rifle it will always be a rifle.

So if you are really looking to do it both ways make sure it is a pistol first.

But........ only you will know what is was first. I sugest taking a picture of it as a pistol.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 15488
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullarz View Post
Sorry guys, if the lower is registered as a pistol, and the "virgin" build is a pistol, you can go back and forth, as long as you never have the stock and a barrel under 16 inches on at the same time. No tax stamp as long as it is not an SBR.

If you get a stripped lower and it is registered as a pistol, and your first build (virgin) is to make it into a rifle it will always be a rifle.

So if you are really looking to do it both ways make sure it is a pistol first.

But........ only you will know what is was first. I sugest taking a picture of it as a pistol.
+1
GUN NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:04 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 5448
Call THE BATFE Technology Branch Phone: 202-927-7910, tell them that you have a rather lengthy question and would like to email it to them and get an email address. Email them this question and do not include a phone# where they can call you back. Make them respond in writing and keep a record of their responses to your questions.
A Seriously Disgruntled Wife
Sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:10 AM   #10
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 26172
ok so here is my problem
my class III ffl who i have done two transfers through says i cant make a ar-15 SBR from a pistol. they said their last ones have been denied for that reason.he said that a ar-15 SBR has to be done on a rifle reciver. which i admit is weird and seems wrong to me but why lie about it. but either way i dont really want to go this route anyway since i want the new virgin cmmg pistol receiver to be eventually mounted on my cmmg rifle(which currently has a superior arms lower that doesnt match the upper very well.

so my plan is to buy a virgin ar-15 lower and set it up as a pistol.
and then i am going to use my current rifle receiver that is set up on my complete 18" ar15 to register that one which is classified as a rifle receiver for my SBR. well when my stamp comes in i want to take receiver i have been using for my pistol (that was not registered as the SBR) and put it on my rifle and then take the receiver that is currently used on my rifle (the one that will be registered as the SBR on a form 1)

my reasons for this is
1. the virgin pistol receiver will be a cmmg which is what my rifle is except for the lower which is a Superior arms lower. so after all this i will have a compleate CMMG rifle.

2. i get to order the pistol upper before my form 1 comes in (I will NOT mount it on my rifle receiver before i get my stamp)
and i get to shoot it as a pistol until my stamp comes in.

so in turn if i am able to convert a pistol reciver into a rifle one then everything works out great. and exactly how i want. and i dont care if i can convert it back into a pistol again since i will have no reason to since my other ar-15 will be a SBR

I haven't stopped believing in god. I just stopped beliving he cares. There might be a god, there might not, but i dont think it matters. Either way were on our own.-Jace Wayland

If you want to polish your barrel click the link below

sourpatch45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

Search tags for this page
ar 15 pistol can you convert ot rifle
ar pistol laws into rifle

ar pistol to rifle conversion

atf law turning pistol to rifle
can a pistol ak be converted into rifle?
can a rifle be converted to a pistol and then back to a rifle?
can i change my ar pistol to a rifle

can you convert a rifle to a pistol

can you convert a sbr back to a pistol
can you convert an ar 15 pistol into a rifle ?
can you turn an ar pistol in to a rifle

can you turn an ar pistol into a rifle

convert ar15 pistol to rifle

how can younlegally change an ar pistol into a short barrel rifle
how to convert ar-15 into a pistol
per atf rules can you build an ar rifle into an ar pistol
Click on a term to search for related topics.