• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Cost of AR-10 vs. AR-15

This is a discussion on Cost of AR-10 vs. AR-15 within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I'm wondering if I could even touch a .308 AR for near the price of a (lower priced) AR-15. I'm thinking $700-800 here. Can I ...

Old 10-16-2007, 05:29 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 16227
Cost of AR-10 vs. AR-15

I'm wondering if I could even touch a .308 AR for near the price of a (lower priced) AR-15. I'm thinking $700-800 here. Can I get the .308 for that?

Secondarily, would I be able to get a 16" bbl and collapsible stock, or are most of the .308 variants longer barrell/fixed stock long range specific rifles?

The reason: I have an SKS that I like becuase it's 7.62. I want an AR and WILL have one someday, but I don't like the 5.56 as much (I like it a LOT, don't get me wrong) as the .308 or 7.62 round for quick put downs. I really want 1 CQB rifle, I guess.

I have trouble making decisions, you see, so I'd like an all encompassing rifle so I don't have to decide which one to shoot. (And I'd only have to buy 1 type of ammo).

joe
thejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-16-2007, 06:15 PM   #2
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 2344
I was in the same position you are in a fews months ago.A new (quality) AR-10 will run you somewhere between $1200-$1500.Yes you can get them in any configuration you want,or add what you want later.You may find a quality one "used" for around $1000 but dont get your hopes up for a Great AR-10 in the $700-$800 range.I think DPMS were the lowset costs ones I found during my research,Ive heard good and bad about them.I ended up not getting an AR-10,good luck to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejoe View Post
I'm wondering if I could even touch a .308 AR for near the price of a (lower priced) AR-15. I'm thinking $700-800 here. Can I get the .308 for that?

Secondarily, would I be able to get a 16" bbl and collapsible stock, or are most of the .308 variants longer barrell/fixed stock long range specific rifles?

The reason: I have an SKS that I like becuase it's 7.62. I want an AR and WILL have one someday, but I don't like the 5.56 as much (I like it a LOT, don't get me wrong) as the .308 or 7.62 round for quick put downs. I really want 1 CQB rifle, I guess.

I have trouble making decisions, you see, so I'd like an all encompassing rifle so I don't have to decide which one to shoot. (And I'd only have to buy 1 type of ammo).

joe

The enemy teaches their kids how to handle RPGs and Ak-47s...our schools suspend kids for drawing a picture of a gun and teach Earth Day and putting a Trojan on a banana.Whats wrong with this picture?...Brickboy240
magnumize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
XDTalk 2K Member

How about an AK of some sort,fun fun fun.Also you already have a SKS,same ammo.You could buy 2 GREAT AK's for the price of one decent AR-10.

The enemy teaches their kids how to handle RPGs and Ak-47s...our schools suspend kids for drawing a picture of a gun and teach Earth Day and putting a Trojan on a banana.Whats wrong with this picture?...Brickboy240
Old 10-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 12965
Yep, magnumize is correct. The closest you could get would be to get the DPMS. Used AR-10's are not easy to come by, depending on what you want anyway. I looked for almost a year before finding what I wanted.

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” The Doctor
Bidah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:34 PM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Just wondering,how much do you pay for your AR-10 mags?When I was looking they were for 1 hard to find and 2 kinda $$$.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidah View Post
Yep, magnumize is correct. The closest you could get would be to get the DPMS. Used AR-10's are not easy to come by, depending on what you want anyway. I looked for almost a year before finding what I wanted.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 13497
check out DPMS LR-TAC20, that thing looks kickass

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Member -------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
rockerZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:22 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 13816
When I went looking for a semi-auto in .308 I dug around for AR-10's for a long while and the fact is that a good one will run you, as said earlier, $1200-1500 at the entry level. So what's a reasonable guy to do? FAL, CETME, PTR-91 .. easily as good and far more available, better aftermarket parts availability ect..ect.. I went with a PTR-91 cause I've always wanted a HK-91, just couldn't ever afford the price tag. So I get the same gun with an American made lower and talk about a ton of fun!

.308 will set you back a lot further in the ammo cost, but yeah, they are just way too much fun. The AR is a great platform, but there are better for less.

On AR15's: Learn to use your Iron Sights before you go adding all that extra crap on your gun!

Badshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:17 PM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 14100
I too am in the market for a AR-10 variant but most of them are pricey has hell. DPMS though are pretty reasonably priced.

I have seen DPMS .308 for as low as $800.

This one right here is only $855 buy it now price:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=82803198

I myself like this one:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=82604859

It is a .308 SASS set up and is about as cheap as it gets for an AR-10 variant. I have a friend that has a couple of DPMS rifles and he loves them. Their mags are only $35 while Armalite Mags are $50... and no the mags are not interchangeble (The AR10's are modified M14 mags).
EricCartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:17 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 16227
I was afraid of that. I've looked into AK's, but I already have the semi-auto 7.62 covered. If I was going to go AK, I might as well stick with what I've got (cause it's probably good enough). But, I want an AR. I love them, want to personalize it, and I want something that will be on hand and ultra-reliable in case the SKS goes belly up. Thanks for the help, guys. I might look into in the future.

I guess I'll just stick with the AR-15 and find out a way to carry both at once so I don't have to decide.

joe
thejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:20 PM   #10
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 11567
Anybody heard if RRA ever got their .308 AR off the ground? Last I heard they were still working out some teething problems.
Fifty million new Americans have died in abortions since 1973. Where were their rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? Why do we turn a blind eye toward--or worse, cheer on--a holocaust within our own land? Please, choose life for your baby.

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." --Jesus, John 14:6 (ESV)

Proud member of the AKM operator's club.
DanTheEldest is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

Search tags for this page

ar 10 cost

ar 10 price

ar 10 price range

ar 10 prices

ar 10 vs ar 15

ar 15 vs ar 10
ar-10 cost
ar-10 price
ar-10 price range
ar10 cost
ar10 prices
ar10 vs ar15
average price of ar 10

how much does an ar 10 cost

how much is a ar10
Click on a term to search for related topics.