• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

AR-15 Ejection Issue

This is a discussion on AR-15 Ejection Issue within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I bought a Stag AR-15 a few months ago, and I'm relatively new to the AR platform. I've ran a few hundred rounds through it, ...

Old 06-09-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 14081
AR-15 Ejection Issue

I bought a Stag AR-15 a few months ago, and I'm relatively new to the AR platform. I've ran a few hundred rounds through it, the first 60 or so were fine, no hiccups. Then the next time I took it out, after a cleaning, it seemed like every other round would not eject properly. It would still be in the bolt partway and get jammed in the ejection port. It wasn't quite a stovepipe. Am I doing something wrong when cleaning? Is the ejector spring bad? I'd take it apart and check it out but it looks like things will go flying everywhere when I pop the spring out. It does this with different ammo, so I believe it to be an issue with the rifle. I know the AR is a finnicky platform, but I don't think it should be this bad. Any additional comments/suggestions are welcomed. Thanks everyone!
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-09-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 8785
This happened to me on my first outing with my AR. My issue was the gas rings. Make sure they are staggered after you clean and put the bolt back together.

I was anti-Obama when Anti-Obama wasn't cool. Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.-- Glen Aldrich

The wealthiest nation in the world with the mightiest army man has ever assembled could not stop them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
PackerfanXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Thanks! I'm usually pretty careful with this, as I've been forewarned. I might try one of those one piece rings and see if it fairs any different. Then I might move on to the ejector. I just don't think I should have these issues with such a new rifle.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
XDTalk Member

Member #: 17109
Check your gas-key (The little tube on top of the bolt carrier) and see if it is loose. It sounds like you might be loosing gas somewhere in the gas system. Check your front site block to see if it has moved or is loose. Make sure your bolt carrier group is clean and lubed. Keep it all cleaned and Lubed and it should cycle nicely.
Hanzerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
Zim
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 9399
My problem was similar to your's mine ended up being a bad firing pin retaining pin. Mine wasn't seated all the way so it caused it to grind to a halt halfway through extraction.
XD 9 service
XD 40 sub-compact
Springfield 1911-A1 G.I.
Beretta 92fs
Walther P22
Ruger MKII
S&W 640,629
NAA .22 magnum
GSG 5pk

Vengence isn't a valid motive. Revenge is a emotional response. No, not vengence. Punishment. Sic vis pacem Parabellum.
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
This happened to me on my first outing with my AR. My issue was the gas rings. Make sure they are staggered after you clean and put the bolt back together.
Could be, I always thought that was a rumor though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
nikon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 12965
if the gas rings lining up were a problem then wouldn't a one piece one cause the same issue?

Anyway, I had this problem with one of my newer AR's, and it turned out the gas key had gotten loose. Once tightened it worked like a champ. Sounds like something got loose.

Is it picking up the next round but leaving it in there? Gas leaks usually show up as not enough to eject the round, and may or may not feed the next one. That is what mine was doing. It would eject the round, but was not far enough back to pick up the new round.

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” The Doctor
Bidah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:34 PM   #8
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 3754
Location: The Nevada Desert on a Dry Lakebed. Living in a trailer with thunderstorms looming in the distance.
Make sure there isn't any excess lube on the extractor.
It should be completely dry.
Compare it to picking up a ball bearing with oily fingers

Good luck!
hobocircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 18292
Gas rings lining up do not matter. I've tried it with no issues and have read where others have tried it with no issues too. I read from a few people that they were told during a Colt Armorers course it didn't really matter. Hell, they're going to rotate anyway.

My guess - either you didn't put something back together right, did you completely disassemble the bolt? Check you extractor and it's spring and insert, fatter side of spring does toward extractor. If they're ok maybe you need a O-ring around it. I'm assuming it's a carbine and they can have extraction issues with rifle springs and inserts. - OR more likely Stag does not stake their carrier keys correctly. Check to see if the screws are tight, I forgot the # in-lb, and restake. A leak here will cause short strokes.

I don't know about a properly built AR being finicky. My two Bushmasters, one 20" and one 16", as well as two friends of mine's Bushies will eat anything and everything. They're bone stock internally; and yes that is using Wolf, Academy Monarch (both steel and brass), XM193, Q3131, Q3131A, MK262, .223 Win white box (any kind), Rem UMC, Radway Green, etc.
Kurt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

I don't think it is a short stroke issue. I've done a bit of googling for ejection issues, and this was brought up. The bolt is coming back far enough to pick up another round, but the spent casing is not ejecting. It is extracting without a problem. When I took the bolt out and used a spent casing to work the ejector, and shot again, I had better success. So this leads me to believe it's something with the ejector. Either something I did (or didn't do) or the spring inside is weak or something along those lines.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

Search tags for this page
9mm ar ejection problems
ar 15 ejection diagram
ar 15 ejection problem

ar 15 ejection problems

ar-15 ejection problems

ar-15 ejector problems
ar15 9mm ejections problems
ar15 ejection problem
ar15 ejection problems
ar15 ejector failure
ar15 ejector troubleshooting
ar15ejection problems
dti ar 15 ejection problem
problems with ar 15 ejecting
stag ar 15 stell casing ejection problem
Click on a term to search for related topics.