• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

AR-Optics

This is a discussion on AR-Optics within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Originally Posted by EricCartmann 1-4x optic: Hey Eric, what kinda stock is that on your M1A/M14?...

Old 10-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #71
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 18995
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCartmann View Post
1-4x optic:
Hey Eric, what kinda stock is that on your M1A/M14?
Liquid Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-29-2007, 09:08 PM   #72
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 14100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Rhino View Post
Hey Eric, what kinda stock is that on your M1A/M14?
It's a Marstar stock.. more infor here:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...hreadid=215779
EricCartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:18 PM   #73
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 18995
Eric might as well post that killer XCR/ACOG combo pic here also for posterity!
I can't stop looking at that thing... wowzers.

Also, just some quick info to pin to the thread for anyone else that may be running into 'Hood Shadow' issues with their 51x-55x EOTech's (except 553/557 with integral risers) and the Magnifier mounts:

Here's a few links to a thread on m4c.net and an another one on AK47.net covering this topic. Hope this helps!
Liquid Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #74
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Rhino View Post
Eric might as well post that killer XCR/ACOG combo pic here also for posterity!
I can't stop looking at that thing...
Thanks for the props! I am not a big fan of BAC but I thought I would give it another shot. Also I love the eye relief on the TA11F! I am thinking of putting forward a little more.

New Toy, ACOG TA11F, will take her to the range this week to test her out. I know I am going to love this scope.

And pic from last Sunday at the Range. Bottom to top: Bushmaster M4 with ACOG TA01NSN, FAL with Millet, XCR with Eotech, M1A with Leupold.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:35 AM   #75
XDTalk 1K Member

ACOGs are expensive but for me nothing beats an ACOG. I like all ACOGs. Shop around because price varies a lot. I know a guy that sells ACOGs for very cheap. Compare his prices to others and you will see his prices are very hard to beat. PM me for more info.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:26 AM   #76
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 13816
ehe.. eheh... huuu... eheh... you rhyme

On AR15's: Learn to use your Iron Sights before you go adding all that extra crap on your gun!

Badshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:44 PM   #77
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 12109
Does anyone know if the Millet DMS-1 from Midway are gen 1, or gen 2 models?

I'm thinking this will (for now) be among the final items I need to finish my M4gery. Aside from QD mounts for the Millet, and EO. Oh, and a full length free float forearm.

FYI: Called Midway, they only have the generation 1 models.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Last edited by Ajcrash; 12-21-2007 at 02:52 PM. Reason: ETA
Ajcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:13 PM   #78
XDTalk Member

Member #: 14186
I have an Aimpoint and am very happy with it. I have also used the Eotech and liked it as well. I went with the Aimpoint over the cheaper knockoffs because it is easier to resell if your not happy with it. I got mine from AG&G, found them to be the cheapest on Aimpoints.
icemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:59 AM   #79
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14903
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCartmann View Post
1-4x optic:
I use to think these were the best of all worlds but now I am thinking they are just a compromise. All 1-4x optic are bulky and kinda cumbersome. There is really only 2 settings you use it on, 1x and 4x. In 1x mode they don't have infininate eye relief like an Aimpoint or Eotech. But then again, if you know where your cheeks got to be you don't need that infininate eye relief. In 4x mode they beat an ACOG in the eye relief dept, but that's it. ACOG's have larger field of views than all 1-4x optics, and ACOGs are a helll of a lot more durable.

Aimpoint:
I have the ML2 with 4 MOA dot. The more I use it the more I like it. There are some draw backs though, In bright sunlight, the dot is hard to see, and in quick CQB situatations, it takes a little more concentration to notice the dot. Then for longer distances, such as anything past 100 yards, the dot is too big and just floods the whole target. Kinda like the way irons do, if you are use to shooting irons this is no big deal. The Aimpoint may have some weaknesses but overall it is still a great site. It is bombproof, waterproof to 60ft, and you can leave it on for a whole year before batteries run out (5 years if you get the ML3). If you get one you will like it.

Eotech:
Nothing is faster than a Eotech. That 65 MOA ring makes it effortless for CQB. For long distance shooting the 1 MOA center dot is great for precision work. For CQB nothing beats an Eotech. For distances, Eotech easily beats out the Aimpoint.

4X ACOG:
I like magnification and for me nothing gets better for an M4 than an ACOG. Even if you have eagle eyes, there are things you can see at 50 yards with mag that you will not be able to see with the Naked eye. ACOG has large field of view, a compact package, uses no batteries, and is durable as hell. ACOG's work great for anything past 25 yards. For such a compact package, you also get decent magnification. Once you use the glass on an ACOG, it is hard to go back to anything else. ACOG's don't work that great for CQB, but the way I have my M4 set up, I have a laser pointer (TLR2) for anything 25 yards or less. Some think a visible laser is kinda mall ninjaish... but I like them.

ACOG with DOC optic.
I sampled a DOC optic on top of an ACOG at a gun show. To me this is truly the best of all worlds. The eye relief of a DOC is infinate like an Aimpoint. Only thing I question about the DOC, is I am not sure if it is as durable as an Eotech, Aimpoint, or even the ACOG it sits on.

High Powered optic such as a 3.5-10X:
Just like my variable optic, I only use it on 2 settings. At 3.5x and at 10x. Most of the time I just use it at the lowest setting but it is nice to have the 10x capability as it is always nice to be able to identify targets at 300 yards. However, this is way too much scope for an M4, way too heavy, and just way overkill.

Acogs are not the best choice for CQB (speaking of 3x and up). They are slow even if used properly (both eyes open shooting) compared to both red dot reflex sights and low power variable scopes set to 1 x.

I used to have a TA31 With the Donut recitle. It was great for 50 yards and out. But for close in work the magnification was too great. The best option for versatility are the 1-4 power scopes like the S&B Short dot. The best choices for CQB are reflex sights like the Aimpoint and Eotech.

As for visible lasers I have no problem with them but they only work well inside or outside in low light conditions. They are useless in bright sun light. If you like the ACOG series of optics the best compromise would be the TA31 DOC. It has a mini red dot mounted on top of the sight which allows fast CQB work while retaining the ACOGS long range advantage. About the only down side to this set up is that your cheak weld has to be broken to use the red dot since its so high up.

I recently ordered a Swarovski Z6i 1x6-24. I like the reviews I have seen and it offers a lot of versatility. Its a 1-6 power. http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=...=349211&page=1
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA A 56876 B class
Alaskapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:35 AM   #80
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 12109
The ability to go up to 6x with the Swarovski would be great, but I don't think it'd be $2000 great. Just my opinion on that though, as I have 0 experience or knowledge of this optic.

I ordered the Millet DMS-1 from Grafs.com last night for $209 shipped (only 5 left in-stock). Hopefully I can swing a trip to NV to try the scope and a few other new acquisitions out before I have to return to work on the 2nd.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Ajcrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

Search tags for this page
aimpoint comp m2 xd

aimpoint torture test

ar 15 45deg red dot scope
ar 15 scope with red dot

ar optics

burris fastfire on top of scope or 45 degree offset
custom xd subcompact
eot scope
eotech 51-0021 ar-15
eotech fxd 3x magnifier
fastfire mount 45 degree
heinie custom 1911 pistol
m4 eot
m4 eotech and magnifier
magnifier sight
xd subcompact gunsights
Click on a term to search for related topics.