• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

built my first ar today, have a couple questions

This is a discussion on built my first ar today, have a couple questions within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; hello everyone, i just got my rifle put together today. i bought a spikes tactical complete upper and a spikes stripped lower, which i built ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » built my first ar today, have a couple questions

Old 09-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 59921
built my first ar today, have a couple questions

hello everyone, i just got my rifle put together today. i bought a spikes tactical complete upper and a spikes stripped lower, which i built the way i wanted. i have a few questions, ive been trying to google this and have got a few different answers.
does the hammer need to be cocked or uncocked to remove/install the lower from the upper?
is it okay to dryfire with the upper installed on the lower? (just wondering because how else would the upper be separated from the lower uncocked)
sorry for the dumb questions but i want to make sure im not doing something wrong. ive been doing alot of research on ar15's and was hoping i wouldn't have to ask such a question. i apologize once again
anything else you would like to add go right ahead, im trying to learn all i can. thanks!
bloodsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 69973
It's generally easier to remove the upper with the hammer cocked. Just make sure not to release the hammer with the upper removed as the falling hammer can damage the front of the lower receiver.

Welcome to the AR club. Remember, these are military-style weapons and so are not particularly delicate. No need to get careless, but it's not your Grandmother's china either. Clean them from time to time and keep the bolt lubed and they will shoot for a good long time.
scotty8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 59921
thanks for answering my question scotty8..appreciate it
bloodsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 67331
Scotty hit most of it, but I like details, so I'll answer again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodsport View Post
does the hammer need to be cocked or uncocked to remove/install the lower from the upper?
Doesn't matter for removal. The bolt carrier needs to be completely seated for removal and installation, otherwise the tail will catch in the buffer tube. For reassembly, hammer cocked is a little easier, but it won't make your rifle a POS if you don't cock it to pin the upper.
Quote:
is it okay to dryfire with the upper installed on the lower? (just wondering because how else would the upper be separated from the lower uncocked)
For standard mil-spec parts, totally fine. The only times to watch out for and NOT dry fire are if any of the parts you purchased came with a specific warning against dry firing, or when the upper is removed. You can still function check the trigger with the upper removed, just catch the hammer with the palm of your hand, or get a hammer block that installs in the mag well. Repeated, uncontrolled dry firing on a bare lower can cause damage.
Quote:
sorry for the dumb questions but i want to make sure im not doing something wrong. ive been doing alot of research on ar15's and was hoping i wouldn't have to ask such a question. i apologize once again
anything else you would like to add go right ahead, im trying to learn all i can. thanks!
Everybody starts somewhere.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

ar15, geissele, magpul, spikes tactical

Search tags for this page
ar 15 lower hammer released
ar 15 pulled hammer with upper lower separated

ar hammer damage

ar15 lower to upper hammer position
damage to lower receiver by hammer falling
does the hammer have to he cocked when installing the upper on an ar 15
dry fire ar
how to attach ar 15 upper to lower
how to attach upper to lower ar-15 should hammer be cocked
i built my first ar

making a hammer drop block for ar 15

putting upper onto lower cocked or uncocked
should the hammer be cocked when attaching the upper to the lower
when attaching ar upper hammer cocked back
when attaching ar upper to lower does it matter if cocked or not
when installing an ar-15 upper would it be cocked?
Click on a term to search for related topics.