• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Building my first AR

This is a discussion on Building my first AR within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Hello Everyone! I'm currently looking into building my first AR. I'm looking to get the best quality possible setup with a max budget of $2500. ...

Old 07-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 76055
Exclamation Building my first AR

Hello Everyone!

I'm currently looking into building my first AR. I'm looking to get the best quality possible setup with a max budget of $2500. The parts listed below were quoted to me for $1,916.64 including tax.

The retailer will be building the rifle for me and then walk me through how to break it down and clean it as part of the service of buying from them. I live in CT so this rifle has to be CT compliant.

I have read that a complete Stag lower receiver is 100% milspec. I was originally looking for a Colt but those are too far back ordered and the retailer told me that Daniel Defense doesn't make them any longer. So they recommended Stag Arms.

I'm posting this thread to get opinions on the quality of parts that have been recommended to me.

For example....I'm not familiar with Troy Industries but I have read great things about BCM. So would it make sense to get all BCM parts in replace of the Troy parts etc.?

List of parts:

Stag Arms lower receiver including parts kit, buffer tube, and spring

Magpul STR Stock - Pinned

Hogue Rubber Grip

Wilson Combat upper receiver loaded including gas tube and barrel nut

Stag match target barrel

Troy industries midevil muzzle brake - Pinned

Troy industries bravo FF rail (either 9' or 11')

Troy Industries gas block

Les Baer loaded bolt carrier group

Spikes Tactical heavy buffer

BCM Gunfighter charging handle

Troy Industries di-optic micro sights with tritium inserts
TripStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 65529
I'd recommend buying the LPK from G&R Tactical rather than the Stag kit. Only their Stag plus line is "milspec". BCM is a very high quality manufacturer, and you won't go wrong with their products. What is the intended purpose of this rifle? The current trend for defensive carbines has moved away from heavy match barrels toward light weight ones. However for a bench or varmint gun you may get better accuracy from that heavy barrel. Take a look at "the Chart", and specifically read the info found in the link to legacy explanation of features. You may find yourself rethinking some of your parts choices and possibly saving some cash in the process.

Edit to add: You don't want the Troy micro sights. They won't co-witness with any optic that you may add down the line. The standard Troy sights are designed for AR's and are a great choice though. I'd use BCM F/A bolt/carrier group instead of the "loaded" Les baer. Most any H weighted buffer is fine. Why are you pinning the muzzle break? For compliance reasons? Take a look at the BCM Battlecomp. If I were building another AR, that's what I would change from your list. Hope my 2cents helps. Good luck on your build.
bobbo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 54775
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripStar View Post
Hello Everyone!

I'm currently looking into building my first AR. I'm looking to get the best quality possible setup with a max budget of $2500. The parts listed below were quoted to me for $1,916.64 including tax.

The retailer will be building the rifle for me and then walk me through how to break it down and clean it as part of the service of buying from them. I live in CT so this rifle has to be CT compliant.

I have read that a complete Stag lower receiver is 100% milspec. I was originally looking for a Colt but those are too far back ordered and the retailer told me that Daniel Defense doesn't make them any longer. So they recommended Stag Arms.

I'm posting this thread to get opinions on the quality of parts that have been recommended to me.

For example....I'm not familiar with Troy Industries but I have read great things about BCM. So would it make sense to get all BCM parts in replace of the Troy parts etc.?

List of parts:

Stag Arms lower receiver including parts kit, buffer tube, and spring

Magpul STR Stock - Pinned

Hogue Rubber Grip

Wilson Combat upper receiver loaded including gas tube and barrel nut

Stag match target barrel

Troy industries midevil muzzle brake - Pinned

Troy industries bravo FF rail (either 9' or 11')

Troy Industries gas block

Les Baer loaded bolt carrier group

Spikes Tactical heavy buffer

BCM Gunfighter charging handle

Troy Industries di-optic micro sights with tritium inserts
wow that's a long rail!
Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
XDTalk Member

Member #: 28518
$1916.64 is a little pricey for that setup. Is that parts or are they charging you labor to assemble the rifle?

Troy makes some nice parts. The shop did recommend nice parts, not "top shelf", but very good parts. Honestly, I think you could get more for your money.
Evolved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 52474
If i were you i would skip the tritium sights and get regular sights and use the money saved for a light.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

[QUOTE=Bonehead;3418906]wow that's a long rail! [QUOTE]

Some guys run 15 inch rails with vert grips at the very end lol. Must have some really long arms.
I run a 12.25 myself
Old 07-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 54775
[quote=Spooled;3418941][QUOTE=Bonehead;3418906]wow that's a long rail!
Quote:

Some guys run 15 inch rails with vert grips at the very end lol. Must have some really long arms.
I run a 12.25 myself
I was teasing about ' being feet and " being inches. he said a 9 foot to 11 foot rail.

and yeah I think the rifles look goofy with the long rail like that. they put that grip out there and walk around with the support arm extended and locked at the elbow.

seems weird to me but what do I know...
Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

[quote=Bonehead;3418975][quote=Spooled;3418941]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
wow that's a long rail!

I was teasing about ' being feet and " being inches. he said a 9 foot to 11 foot rail.

and yeah I think the rifles look goofy with the long rail like that. they put that grip out there and walk around with the support arm extended and locked at the elbow.

seems weird to me but what do I know...
Ah i see now haha
Old 07-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 28247
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo65 View Post
I'd recommend buying the LPK from G&R Tactical rather than the Stag kit. Only their Stag plus line is "milspec". BCM is a very high quality manufacturer, and you won't go wrong with their products. What is the intended purpose of this rifle? The current trend for defensive carbines has moved away from heavy match barrels toward light weight ones. However for a bench or varmint gun you may get better accuracy from that heavy barrel. Take a look at "the Chart", and specifically read the info found in the link to legacy explanation of features. You may find yourself rethinking some of your parts choices and possibly saving some cash in the process.

Edit to add: You don't want the Troy micro sights. They won't co-witness with any optic that you may add down the line. The standard Troy sights are designed for AR's and are a great choice though. I'd use BCM F/A bolt/carrier group instead of the "loaded" Les baer. Most any H weighted buffer is fine. Why are you pinning the muzzle break? For compliance reasons? Take a look at the BCM Battlecomp. If I were building another AR, that's what I would change from your list. Hope my 2cents helps. Good luck on your build.
If you tell us what you intend to do with the rifle, it would help. As mentioned in this quote, I wouldn't use that barrel on anything but a target rifle. For hunting or defense use, I would go with something lighter weight. I have lightweight 16" barrels from both Daniels Defense and BCM, and really like this configuration.

Also I have to agree with the recommendation of a BCM BCG and a standard H-buffer. The two pieces you listed are lots more cash for not much more discernable benefit.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 76055
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo65 View Post

Thanks for info guys...

I will be mainly using this rifle for recreation purposes while I practice to enter some competitions. I want the best accuracy possible. The shop manager told me that the further the sights are separated the more accurate the gun will be at longer range. Hence the longer rail set up. They also told me a heavier buffer increases accuracy a tad.

You don't want the Troy micro sights. They won't co-witness with any optic that you may add down the line.

Does co-witness mean I can use the sights when looking through the optics in case optics fail?

At first I wont be able to afford optics anyways because I figured what I'm gonna want will cost nearly as much as the rifle itself.

We discussed what I was going to do when i added optics down the road, and if i understand correctly, co-witnessing came up. However the shop did say I could get a kit that would allow me to mount my micro sights off to the side. This would allow me to use both optics for longer range and sights (rifle held on an angle) for shorter range. I've always liked sights with tritium inserts rather than the plain iron sight.

I'd recommend buying the LPK from G&R Tactical

What is LPK? Not really following you there... G&R Tactical sells BCM lowers but they are out of stock. What did u mean by LPK?

Take a look at "the Chart"

Is there a link to this "chart"?

Why are you pinning the muzzle break? For compliance reasons?

Yes. I'm sure this is because the rifle has to be CT compliant.

thanks for help!!!
TripStar is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

ar-15, build, custom, quality

Search tags for this page

building my first ar

ct compliant ar

daniel defense ct compliant

how much does a troy industries bravo 9 rail weight

how much does the troy bravo rail weigh?

les baer bcg review

les baer bolt carrier

les baer bolt carrier group

les baer custom bolt carrier

pinning a magpul str stock

troy bravo 11

troy bravo 11 weight

troy bravo rail 11 weight

troy bravo rail review

troy bravo rail weight

troy industries micro cowitness

Click on a term to search for related topics.