• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Update - Range Report - Core 15 AR & Tactical Link

This is a discussion on Update - Range Report - Core 15 AR & Tactical Link within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; FINALLY had a chance to get to the range and do more than just try to figure out where the controls on the AR were ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » Update - Range Report - Core 15 AR & Tactical Link

Old 06-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 43432
Update - Range Report - Core 15 AR & Tactical Link

FINALLY had a chance to get to the range and do more than just try to figure out where the controls on the AR were located. (Previously, I had less than 100 rounds through it).

Got out, sighted in the Core15 AR, and got used to the Tactical Link Battery Assist Lever.

On a previous link, I had asked opinions of the "BAD Lever" from MagPul, and those who used them on their AR's. Due to a sale from Tactical Link who makes a similar device, I picked up their version.

First - we ran over 300 round through the Core 15. I used a combination of PMC brass and also reloads from Freedom Munitions. That entire time, I had one failure, and that was a doublefeed/fail to extract. Most likely caused by my failure to make sure the mag was seated fully.

Accuracy, with iron sights (Magpul buis) was acceptable, with most of the couple inch spread due to my long absence from rifle shooting and getting acquainted to the AR platform. The instructor seemed to think the rifle and I did just fine for one of the first times out.... and REALLY the first time doing more than just pulling a trigger to get the feel for it. (As mentioned, only a couple mags were run through it previously).

The Tactical Link Battery Assist Lever works just as promised. The installation took maybe five minutes, (most of that was due to trying to get the recommended thread-lock on to the small screws). It appears to be very well made, and while I am just getting used to the whole AR platform, I love being able to operate the bolt release with the trigger finger. There were no failures of any type caused by the addition of the TacLink BAL.

Over all, any questions I had about the Core 15 - (due to the steel ammo not extracting and causing jams) - have now been completely dispelled. It is still early, in my shooting time with the AR, but I think it will do exactly the job it is meant to if SHTF.

An "I Kick Hippies" sling plate is on the way, along with a MS3 sling that I picked up on sale at Amazon. Will add those .... (it would have been nice to have had the single-point sling for some of the exercises that we were working on yesterday).

A red dot like an Aimpoint or Eotech is defiitely needed to increase the utility of the AR and make the shots easier and faster. The bad-guys would have definitely been out of commission even using the buis..... but... that considerably faster acquisition with the red dot will be nice.

Over-all, extremely happy with the Core14 and the Tactical Link Battery Assist Lever.

For the guys who responded earlier, thanks for the comments on the battery assist... it is a welcome addition. Pics to follow after I clean the AR in a few minutes.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 43432
Here's the Tactical Link installed:

I like the three screws on the left side that attaches to the bolt release paddle, and the right side does not protrude any more than the mag release does.

Looks like it should be a good add to the firearm.

Oh yeah..... forgot.... one other addition to the "kit" was a Butler Creek AR mag. loader. WOW..... unloaded two, and then loaded four mags twice while at the range, and it was a HUGE benefit to having that loading tool. Like there upLula for handguns, it makes getting those rounds in the mag, even with sweaty / oily hands, a non- event... top them off asap!! Took maybe 30 - 40 secs per mag to load up.... most of that trying to grab the loose rounds from the box with slippery fingers. If you haven't tried one out..... maybe you've got the "tough guy" thing going on.... as in "I don't need no stinking loader"..... fine... but that loader is really is a great convenience!!!!
Old 06-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 46941
Nice write up......
Daniel Defense DDM4v3 Acc: YHM 5C2 Phantom, Magpul B.A.D., Magpul MOE+, Spike's/Troy BUIS, Spike's Billet Trigger Guard, Spike's BCG, Spike's ST-T2 Buffer, Spike's Stubby FG, BCM Gunfighter MOD 4, Surefire M300A Miniscout, Trijicon ACOG, Aimpoint Micro T-1 w/ KAC mount, Geissele SSA trigger, Vltor IMOD, Battle Arms BAD ASS Ambi ST 45
xbmxracerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 66064
Hey man thanks for the report.
I'm glad you seem happy w/your rifle & set up and in the end that's all that matters!
richeyo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 50458
Great AR. I love mine.

My name is Jim, but most people call me ......... Jim.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
jimdanos is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

Search tags for this page

core 15 ar

core 15 ar 15 review

core 15 ar review

core 15 ar reviews

core 15 ar-15 reviews

core 15 review

core 15 reviews

core 15 scout review
core ar 15

core ar 15 review

core ar 15 reviews
core scout ar 15 review
Click on a term to search for related topics.