• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Windham Weaponry AR-15 question

This is a discussion on Windham Weaponry AR-15 question within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I recently purchased a Windham Weaponry AR-15 and absolutely love it and for the price, cant be beat wit the quality. I do have a ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » Windham Weaponry AR-15 question

Old 04-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 72563
Windham Weaponry AR-15 question

I recently purchased a Windham Weaponry AR-15 and absolutely love it and for the price, cant be beat wit the quality. I do have a few questions I hope someone could assist in.

I want to spruce it up to go along wit the S&W 15-22 I have so I can get a similar experience between shooting the 2 gear wise. It currently has the standard, solid hand guard and a fixed Iron front sight and a removeable carry handle. I am wanting to add a picatanny rail (think its about a 7 inch thats needed) and add a scope with flip up sights.

The question is, since I have the fixed front sight, is it possible to take it off myself or so I have to circumvent my thought process and upgrade differently without spending an arm and a leg to do so?

Any insight, help, and assistance is greatly appreciated!
mkibler44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 39657
Are you looking for something like this?

Primary Arms Dropin Quad Rail

Or

Magpul MOE handguard

And to take the stock handguard off, all you have to do is pull of the delta ring down and pull the handguard apart. Here is a video.

You don't need the tool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You can drink a shy girl crazy, you can drink till that good girl sins, you can even drink a ugly girl pretty, but you cant drink a fat girl thin. - Jeff Daniels

My wife thinks everything costs, "about a $100.. bucks".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
- dsump 4/3/07
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 43432
Congrats on the purchase. I almost bought one from Windham, but picked up a MOE Core 15 instead. About the same money... seems to be same (maybe better) quality. I think you'll have good luck with it!

Anyway.... as Willow stated, Magpul makes the front handguards that are easy to install. Primary Arms as well..... and a few others. The front handguard seems easy enough to replace on your own without special tools. There are also some that are various length quad-picatiny rail handguards as well. (I didn't much like the feel of them myself). Plenty of sources, when you start looking. As I just read someplace.....

"The AR-15 is the guy Barbie-doll of weapons... plenty of accessories to dress them up with!!"

Old 04-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 57466
I think he is asking about removing the front sight himself. Which he could do and add a low pro gas block. or just grind down the iron sight and use it as a gas block.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 72563
Thanks for the reply. I have narrowed the rails down to a few but Im worried about the length and some sites dont have them so Ill figure that out when the time comes.

js12278 has it right, I am more concerned about the front sight. It looks as if its ont here for good but I really would like to have flip up sights with a scope. Again, the front sight poses an issue. In terms of grinding it down, I dont know about all that or how to go about it.
mkibler44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 28247
My take would be get a Magpul MOE handguard, remove the carry handle, add a flip up rear sight of your choice, and keep the front iron sight, which is the sturdiest option for a front sight. Then, when you figure out what scope or red-dot you want, mount it on the receiver rail. Odds are you will never notice the front iron sight. See the top rifle below.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 9359
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkibler44 View Post
I recently purchased a Windham Weaponry AR-15 and absolutely love it and for the price, cant be beat wit the quality. I do have a few questions I hope someone could assist in.
I want to spruce it up to go along wit the S&W 15-22 I have so I can get a similar experience between shooting the 2 gear wise. It currently has the standard, solid hand guard and a fixed Iron front sight and a removeable carry handle. I am wanting to add a picatanny rail (think its about a 7 inch thats needed) and add a scope with flip up sights.
The question is, since I have the fixed front sight, is it possible to take it off myself or so I have to circumvent my thought process and upgrade differently without spending an arm and a leg to do so?
Any insight, help, and assistance is greatly appreciated!
In fact, you can add a scope without removing the fixed front sight. The scope will mount to the existing rail after you remove the carry handle. Then, due to the shallow depth of field of a high mag scope, the sight is totally out of focus and only visible at all with low mag settings, like 3x or lower. With higher magnification, the sight is just not there.

Nikon has a deal going on right now with selected dealers. Buy their P-223 scope in either the 3x40 or the 3-9x40 and get the Nikon scope mount included. That mount puts the scope right at the recommended height--2.5" above the bore axis.

Otherwise, replacing the gas block/front sight would be a gunsmith job for someone with my skills--and unless you have Windham do the work, it may void your transferable lifetime warranty.

I have a Windham Weaponry AR-15--the HBC (heavy barrel carbine) model bought locally for $850. I put the Nikon scope on it, and now at 9x I can actually see the target bullseye at 100 yards. The scope has excellent Nikon optics, and I cannot see the front sight at all at 9x, yet if I want to, I can put the original carry handle/rear sight back in place in a couple minutes.

All that's left now, for me at least, is to get an improved trigger...assuming that Windham will either install it or OK my doing the work (not likely).
Old 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
XDTalk Member

Member #: 72045

Last edited by PiercedJD; 07-31-2012 at 09:20 PM.
PiercedJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 33132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkibler44 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have narrowed the rails down to a few but Im worried about the length and some sites dont have them so Ill figure that out when the time comes.

js12278 has it right, I am more concerned about the front sight. It looks as if its ont here for good but I really would like to have flip up sights with a scope. Again, the front sight poses an issue. In terms of grinding it down, I dont know about all that or how to go about it.
The front sight is easy to remove unless you have a welded on flash hider. If you remove the front sight you will need to install a gas block,again an easy thing.

Check midwayusa.com for gas blocks.

don
dglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 9359
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglock View Post
The front sight is easy to remove unless you have a welded on flash hider. If you remove the front sight you will need to install a gas block,again an easy thing.
Check midwayusa.com for gas blocks.
don
Don't forget, you have a lifetime transferrable warranty. That's one of the advantages of the WW AR over those with one year. I'd check with the manufacturer before any alterations. This is one of those instances where it really is better to ask for permission than foregiveness.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

ar-15, ar15 conversion, windham weaponry

Search tags for this page
anybody use the iron sights from windham weaponry
ar-15 delta ring removal windham weaponry

best scope for windham ar 15

core 15 vs windham weapons

great scopes for windham ar15
gun sights to fitwindham ar15
how to remove ar 15 front sight tower windham
rail mounts for windham weaponry
troy sights for windam weaponry ar15
what rail will fit my wydom ar

windham

windham ar15 can i remove the front sight

windham weaponry flip up iron sights reviews

windham weaponry gas block removal

windham weaponry src handguard

ww mpc hand guard removal
Click on a term to search for related topics.