XD Talk

  • Home
  • Forum
  • Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

300 Blackout vs 5.56

This is a discussion on 300 Blackout vs 5.56 within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; If you don't plan on suppressing what is the main difference between the two? Is it worth to build just a 300 blackout because the ...


Reply
Old 03-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie
 
Member #: 68620
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 28
300 Blackout vs 5.56

If you don't plan on suppressing what is the main difference between the two? Is it worth to build just a 300 blackout because the price of uppers seems to bee much higher than a standard 5.56
louslugger15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member
 
mbrando's Avatar
 
Member #: 64373
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 306
Hi,

Its basically a 7.62x39 size round aka ak47 but uses a standard .223 case with a .308 bullet. Depends on your Point of Use.

- Mike
__________________
USPSA and 3-gun matches make owning guns fun!
mbrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:49 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member
 
brennahm's Avatar
 
Member #: 64837
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: CO
Posts: 178
I'll get one so that my AR is legal for hunting. Has to be .25 cal or bigger for large game in some states like mine...
__________________
XDm 3.8 Compact 9mm
Colt SP6920MP-B: EOTech 553
Winchester 120
Marlin/Glenfield .30-30: Bushnell 2.5-10x40
brennahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member
 
John A.'s Avatar
 
Member #: 11014
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: not California
Posts: 2,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennahm View Post
I'll get one so that my AR is legal for hunting. Has to be .25 cal or bigger for large game in some states like mine...
Your hunting laws suck. By default, you're already prohibited from using some of the fastest, flattest shooting, good penetrating hunting calibers out there.

223
22-250
243
6mm

Just because the bullet is bigger around, doesn't automatically make it (or the hunter) "better".

louslugger, what are you planning on hunting with it? And at what normal distances would you be hunting at? That would help us be able to make better recommendations.
__________________
if you give them an inch, eventually they will be a ruler.
John A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member
 
1xdmshooter's Avatar
 
Member #: 32214
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. View Post
Your hunting laws suck. By default, you're already prohibited from using some of the fastest, flattest shooting, good penetrating hunting calibers out there.

223
22-250
243
6mm

Just because the bullet is bigger around, doesn't automatically make it (or the hunter) "better".

louslugger, what are you planning on hunting with it? And at what normal distances would you be hunting at? That would help us be able to make better recommendations.

+1 What are you wanting to hunt?
__________________
4.5 XDM 45ACP w/Trijicon Night Sights
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

4.5 XDM 40S&W
4.5 Bitone XDM 9mm
Ruger P90 45ACP
Mossberg 930SPX Tactical Shotgun
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

PSA M4 Carbine with Vortex Viper PST Optic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
1xdmshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
XDTalk Newbie
 
Member #: 68620
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 28
I'm actually not using the rifle for hunting. My question is does the 300 blackout make a better all around rifle than 5.56? By this I mean home defense, range time, and i guess the occasional hunting trip if the heart desired. Is the higher price warranted? Or will this round become nonexistent in 2-3 years?
louslugger15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member
 
Shaniac's Avatar
 
Member #: 32882
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by louslugger15 View Post
I'm actually not using the rifle for hunting. My question is does the 300 blackout make a better all around rifle than 5.56? By this I mean home defense, range time, and i guess the occasional hunting trip if the heart desired. Is the higher price warranted? Or will this round become nonexistent in 2-3 years?
Here are the differences:

5.56x45 (.223 Rem)
  • super sonic round
  • Ballistics data
    • 55gr: Velocity = 3,240 ft/s Energy = 1,282 ft-lb
    • 62gr: Velocity = 3,100 ft/s Energy = 1,303 ft-lb
    • 69gr: Velocity = 2,950 ft/s Energy = 1,333 ft-lb
    • 77gr: Velocity = 2,750 ft/s Energy = 1,293 ft-lb

7.62x35 (.300 BLK)
  • both super sonic and sub sonic rounds (sub sonic ideal for use with a suppressor)
  • Ballistics data
    • 125gr: Velocity = 2,215 ft/s Energy = 1,360 ft-lb
    • 220gr: Velocity = 1,010 ft/s Energy = 498 ft-lb


Basically the 5.56 will give you more accuracy at greater distances than the .300 BLK however the .300 BLK will outperform the 5.56 in close quarters due to the heavier grain.
the energy between the 66gr .223 REM and the 125gr .300 BLK are marginally different but when you take in consideration that the bullet grain of the .300 BLK is much larger, this will inflict more damage at closer ranges.



Now, I am not knocking the 5.56 (.223) by any means...although this round is scrutinized by its small size, it remains an effective round as the military/NATO has used it since the 1960's.



It all boils down to variety since the AR-15 is already a modular rifle...if you have the money to have an AR for both rounds then go for it...what makes the .300 BLK so nice is that all you would need to do is purchase an upper with a .300 barrel; the BCG, Upper and magazine for the 5.56 will work hand in hand with this round.
__________________
  • XD(M) .40 S&W

  • To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

  • To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
  • Harrington & Richardson Model 088 Shotgun
  • Del-Ton 16" carbine AR-15

  • To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

  • To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Luke 22:36

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
Shaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member
 
brennahm's Avatar
 
Member #: 64837
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: CO
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. View Post
Your hunting laws suck. By default, you're already prohibited from using some of the fastest, flattest shooting, good penetrating hunting calibers out there.

Just because the bullet is bigger around, doesn't automatically make it (or the hunter) "better".
The law only applies to big game. I believe there's a spec for energy as well. And CO is very protective in many ways of our natural resources, they don't want some ******* coming in and hunting elk with his .17 hmr.
__________________
XDm 3.8 Compact 9mm
Colt SP6920MP-B: EOTech 553
Winchester 120
Marlin/Glenfield .30-30: Bushnell 2.5-10x40
brennahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
XDTalk 2K Member
 
John A.'s Avatar
 
Member #: 11014
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: not California
Posts: 2,725
Do they allow bow hunting big game?

I can almost gaurantee a bow doesn't have as much velocity/energy as many rifles.

I'm not disagree'ing with you that there are just things I wouldn't use to hunt big game with (especially really big game like elk), but just because someone has a law doesn't mean that it is logical or correct.
__________________
if you give them an inch, eventually they will be a ruler.
John A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
XDTalk 80K Member
 
slugger6's Avatar
 
Member #: 14053
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 80,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. View Post
just because someone has a law doesn't mean that it is logical or correct.

A profound statement, indeed!
__________________
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us". - Ralph Waldo Emerson
slugger6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk


Search tags for this page
.300 blackout vs .223
,

.300 blackout vs 5.56

,
.300 blk vs 5.56
,
.300 vs .223
,
223 vs 300 blackout
,
300 blackout vs .223
,

300 blackout vs 223

,

300 blackout vs 5.56

,
300 blackout vs 556
,

300 blk vs 5.56

,
300 blk vs 5.56 ballistics
,
300 blk vs 556
,

5.56 vs 300 blackout

,
556 vs 300 blackout
,
556 vs 300 blk
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ar-talk/197460-300-blackout-vs-5-56-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
300 Blackout vs 5.56 - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! This thread Refback 02-28-2014 03:55 PM
Thread 300 blackout barrel length? | HS2000/XDTalk Forum | BoardReader This thread Refback 06-01-2012 10:45 PM