• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Should I build my first AR?

This is a discussion on Should I build my first AR? within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I have been reading up on building off a bare Ar-15 lower, and I have no clue on if I should go acquire a complete ...

Old 02-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 69646
Should I build my first AR?

I have been reading up on building off a bare Ar-15 lower, and I have no clue on if I should go acquire a complete one or Acquire parts to build one. My dilemma is that I have never fired an AR or broken one down.
Gunboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 66175
Build. It's fun and easy. Lots of videos on YouTube to guide you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike.DenCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
XDTalk Supporter

Member #: 64124
build it, list your parts you plan to buy before purchasing and ask for advice. the sky is the the limit on a build. ARs are easy to assemble, you just need a good vice and the proper vice blocks and punches.

Not to mention, there will be a sense of pride in your build, and you'll be intimately familiar with your weapon.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 44190
Lowers are easy and fun to build. Uppers require some special tools. Build the lower, buy the upper. That's what I did. Man, I never should have sold that rifle, LOL.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
XDTalk Member

Member #: 69646
My only problem is I'm a minor so my dad is a little iffy about it, but I know my way around most guns and I think it will give me a bit of help when I become a gunsmith.
Gunboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 35894
Check out the Brownell's videos. They are pretty good.

AR-15 Builder - Build and Customize your own AR15 | Brownells then click on Instructional Videos at the bottom.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 65335
I would say build and save yourself some cash. My first build was $200 cheaper than buying a complete rifle. I ordered a complete lower and complete upper and just pushed the two pins in. Same brand upper and lower as the complete rifle, just no mag or crappy hardcase. I even got the parts from the same dealer that quoted me price on the complete rifle.
Bigboye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 31701
I've just finished building my first ever AR lower. It is totally worth it to build it yourself! You can do it cheaper than buying an already assembled rifle. After you build the lower, you can just slap on a complete upper and be ready to go (provided you bought a mag, sights and ammo).

XDM .40 S&W ...for the zombies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Browning Light 12 gauge semi-auto shotgun

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"Non atrocitate, non clementia mutabatur." (changed neither by cruelty nor by clemency).

"Noli nothis permittere te terere!" (Don't let the bastards wear you down!)
99vengeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 16039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunboy View Post
My only problem is I'm a minor so my dad is a little iffy about it, but I know my way around most guns and I think it will give me a bit of help when I become a gunsmith.
I am in the "build it yourself" camp too.

My 17 year old son built the first lower. I only had to help with holding it because I don't have any work bench or vice in my house (don't ask). He came away with a sense of pride & ownership that was all his.

I will have my younger boy build his and I will build mine, but those will be later in the year.

Plus, fwiw, I have hit up 2 gun shows and have gotten some free stuff that the guy was tired of keeping around in inventory.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 67026
Six weeks ago, I didn't want to build my first AR. At all. Never fired a rifle in my life, I should let the experts handle it.

Then I rationalized that I needed to build my own so I could know how to disassemble it properly for cleaning. Slippery slope.

Next thing I know last weekend I'm pressing "Start" on a mill so I can finish my 80% lower. It's like a disease!

So, my advice to you is to run, don't walk and get a mini-14 or something that's not as contagious as an AR. It's too late for me, but you might still have hope...
speedrrracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

223, ar-15, gunsmithing

Search tags for this page
ar 15 build worth
ar 15 buy or build
build ar or buy
build first ar

building an ar

building an ar 15
building first ar 15
building my first ar
buy or build ar 15
cheaper to build or buy ar 15

is building an ar 15 worth it

is building my own ar worth it?

should i build an ar 15

should i build my own ar 15

should i buy or build an ar-15
Click on a term to search for related topics.