• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Should I build my first AR?

This is a discussion on Should I build my first AR? within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Build build build. You will know how everything works and you will be more appreciative of your rig if you gave it all the love ...

Old 02-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 32214
Build build build. You will know how everything works and you will be more appreciative of your rig if you gave it all the love and pieces that you picked for it. Ton of companies out there to help you along the way but you should be able to build a lower for less than $200.

4.5 XDM 40S&W
4.5 Bitone XDM 9mm
Ruger P90 45ACP
Mossberg 930SPX Tactical Shotgun
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

PSA M4 Carbine with Vortex Viper PST Optic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
1xdmshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #12
XDTalk Member

Member #: 65335
I agree, AR's can suck you in. That's why I make sure I have no leftover parts. They all end-up turning in to a new rifle. Here Delton M4 kit $449 less stripped lower receiver and you can find a receiver for under $100.

http://www.classicarms.us/semi-auto%20rifles.htm
Bigboye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #13
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 61076
I have never fired or broken down an AR either. But two nights ago I put my very first AR lower together in a matter of about 15 minutes. Just followed the directions found in these two places:

AR-15 DIY

ar-15 diy 2

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

t_byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #14
XDTalk Member

Member #: 65335
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_byrd View Post
I have never fired or broken down an AR either. But two nights ago I put my very first AR lower together in a matter of about 15 minutes. Just followed the directions found in these two places:

AR-15 DIY

ar-15 diy 2
AR15.com is a great site. Lots of information and you can find some great deals on new and used parts.
Bigboye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #15
XDTalk Member

Member #: 69646
I already have a mini, but I want something that is sub MOA
Gunboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #16
XDTalk Member

what are the good brands for lowers and lower parts kits?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #17
XDTalk Supporter

Member #: 64124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunboy View Post
what are the good brands for lowers and lower parts kits?
Honestly, I can't tell much difference between a bushmaster, noveske, spikes, or the CMMG lowers I have. Any forged lower will work fine, as you'll pay more for billet and it just looks "cooler" in my opinion. A friend is going the budget route and picked up a CMMG from buds for less than $100, which I now have and am doing the build for him.

As for LPK, theres spikes, DPMS, etc..., but it really depends. I like to use my own grips and load geissele triggers in all mine. I go for the DPMS small parts kit from brownells. Its a LPK without a FCG, the only throw away is the grip.

Just get a plain 'ol spring and carbine buffer if youre going adjustable stock route. Choose a mil spec tube as mil spec stocks seem more plentiful.

If you are building the upper and need a BCG. (And I suggest you build the upper, because YOU WILL END UP CHANGING SOMETHING LATER). Most will tell you to go BCM, which are really good. I prefer to spend the extra $100 or so for the Spikes NiB coated by fail zero.

Troy has a great selection of handguards for a decent price, and Rainier arms is a decent site for selecting items for the build. I like Rainier and Brownells. Model 1 Sales for low cost builds.

If you run into problems, feel free to ask, as I am sure there's a ton of advice for you on the boards. As for me, I think I've had the opportunity to screw up and fix just about everything on an AR.

Have fun!!
Old 02-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #18
XDTalk Member

Thankyou, I'm thinking I'm going to put a quad rail on it and get some rail covers because I want to be able to put a bipod or anything else I might want to but I hate vertical fwd grips.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #19
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 47421
I think you will find many people on here have fallen prey to the "black rifle"...
I had never fired one or anything before I began reading up on them too. Ended up building the lower and buying the upper to put on it. Pretty easy stuff as long as you have a few ounces of mechanical ability in your tank. I think the reward of building something yourself makes it more fun. Good luck whichever road you choose.
iDominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:43 AM   #20
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 69558
I think building is the way to go. It gives a person a better understanding of how they work and what options will work for you.Plus the satisfaction when you fire that first round outta "Your" rifle. Watch out though, as others have said, it can be addictive. As for parts, I've used Rainier Arms,Delton,Midway and Surplus Arms and Ammo with good results.AR15.com and Brownells are great for info on building. Have fun
malot1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

223, ar-15, gunsmithing

Search tags for this page
ar 15 build worth
ar 15 buy or build
build ar or buy
build first ar
build or buy an ar-15

building an ar

building an ar 15
building my first ar
buy or build ar 15
cheaper to build or buy ar 15

is building an ar 15 worth it

is building my own ar worth it?
is building own ar worth it

should i build an ar 15

should i build my own ar 15

should i buy or build an ar-15
Click on a term to search for related topics.